Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Is it a bad idea to Redline the Evo X Constantly?

Old Feb 27, 2009, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornerstrike
Well I was driving home today and I was driving the car just a tad harder then usual. Since the X is torquey you really dont need to push it hard to get where your going, but Im used to redlining my cars. As I drove the X to around 7k RPMs in each gear I felt like a strange pulsing or vibration. The power wasnt being cut off, though. It kept pulling all the way to 7k RPM, just with the strange feeling as a had my foot on the gas pedal.
Which brings me to my question. Is it a bad idea to constantly redline to 4B11 in the X? I know its a new engine and all, but I know there are a lot of X owners out there who have had their car a lot longer then I have. Im going on my 3rd month. Please understand that Im coming from 3 K20 powered Hondas, which I constantly redline past 8k RPMs on a daily basis, and did not have one single problem with any of the 3. For some reason I feel like I cant treat the X the same way. Maybe Im wrong. I hope Im wrong. What do you guys have to say?
You can't treat it like you'd treat a Honda and expect it to react the same! For reference, the K20 was built to be an NA, high revving engine - hence it's use in the s2000. I also wouldn't expect to drive a 4B11 or 4G63 like I would a 13B Wankel

Originally Posted by jimm
RPMs kill engines. Even in racecars, you only rev when you have to. NO need to redline all the time unless you are at the track.
^+1
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lords3t
You can't treat it like you'd treat a Honda and expect it to react the same! For reference, the K20 was built to be an NA, high revving engine - hence it's use in the s2000.
its not in the s2000...
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

oh snap.. that's the F20C. My bad
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:48 AM

my question to the OP.... dont you feel like a moron driving to work going to redline in 1st, then 2nd, etc... when everybody else is just driving normal trying to make it to work? you must be some kind of a ricer or something that finally got a cool car. But yea, drive your car like that... it doesnt bother me cuz i dont need to pay the repair bills and im not the one who should be embarrassed with myself
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:48 AM

oh snap.. that's the F20C. My bad

Word. I thought you were a straight noob if you really believed that the K20 was the stock S2K engine. Well, at least you realized your mistake. Or did you?

Regardless, my point was not to start a flame war or for you guys to argue who knows what, who raced what, etc. But I guess in this mess of opinions there are a lot of good points. Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

This thread is definitely face palm material.

/Close
Old Feb 27, 2009, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Stink Star
my question to the OP.... dont you feel like a moron driving to work going to redline in 1st, then 2nd, etc... when everybody else is just driving normal trying to make it to work? you must be some kind of a ricer or something that finally got a cool car. But yea, drive your car like that... it doesnt bother me cuz i dont need to pay the repair bills and im not the one who should be embarrassed with myself
Ricer? Finally got a cool car? Is there really a need for all the flaming?
Let me se now:
An S13
An S14
An SVT Focus
An 06 Si Coupe
An 07 Si Sedan
A Mugen Si

Yup. It appears that my Evo is the first cool car I've had.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can't treat it like you'd treat a Honda and expect it to react the same! For reference, the K20 was built to be an NA, high revving engine - hence it's use in the s2000. I also wouldn't expect to drive a 4B11 or 4G63 like I would a 13B Wankel

^+1
Yes the K20 has space age materials inside and the srongest engine internals ever put into a production car lol. This thread is quickly becoming one of the most embaressing thread I've seen so far on these boards. The 4b11 has a square bore & stroke and the rev limiter is at a pretty high 7500 RPM. Really considering how rich they tune these cars to err on the side of caution do you really think they would put the limiter that high if they didn't think that the engine would handle pulls to 7000 RPM reliably? Do you really think they would overlook that minor detail?

End of thread.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cornerstrike
Ricer? Finally got a cool car? Is there really a need for all the flaming?
Let me se now:
An S13
An S14
An SVT Focus
An 06 Si Coupe
An 07 Si Sedan
A Mugen Si

Yup. It appears that my Evo is the first cool car I've had.
well it would appear to be the first car youve had that can run faster than 15's stock.
and you dont have to drive rice to be a ricer.... you obviously drive like a douchebag if you just floor it wherever you go
Old Feb 27, 2009, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Stink Star
well it would appear to be the first car youve had that can run faster than 15's stock.
and you dont have to drive rice to be a ricer.... you obviously drive like a douchebag if you just floor it wherever you go
Yup. Because SR20 powered S13s and S14s are obviously slow. I forgot about that.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by heavyD
Yes the K20 has space age materials inside and the srongest engine internals ever put into a production car lol. This thread is quickly becoming one of the most embaressing thread I've seen so far on these boards. The 4b11 has a square bore & stroke and the rev limiter is at a pretty high 7500 RPM. Really considering how rich they tune these cars to err on the side of caution do you really think they would put the limiter that high if they didn't think that the engine would handle pulls to 7000 RPM reliably? Do you really think they would overlook that minor detail?

End of thread.
I agree. This Thread should be killed already. Too much %$$&*
Old Feb 27, 2009, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

If you're redlining every gear on the street...I'd be curious to know how many speeding tickets you have...

OT

Mechanical part being driven to it's limits regularly will wear out faster...simple.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Boostd4
If you're redlining every gear on the street...I'd be curious to know how many speeding tickets you have...

OT

Mechanical part being driven to it's limits regularly will wear out faster...simple.
Not a single one actually. I dont speed really. Once I get to the designated speed limit I slow down. But...............I do live on a mountain, so when Im driving in those roads I have to worry more about Deer then the cops. That's where I really give hell.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

I love this thread...LOL!!!! Why did half of you guy's buy sports cars??? Yes high RPM's kill motors (specially on mis shifts ), but You should be able to take a car to redline time and time again with no issues (unless the manufacture is retarded and sets the rev limiter way too high or the driver has no clue on how to effectivley shift the car to the next gear). I do agree with those of you who said parts would wear quicker that is true for any car driven more aggressivley.

With what most of you are saying about Honda's maybe I should have stuck with that brand instead of getting the evo, since their engines are built to take so much more abuse than the poorly constructed 4B11...LOL.

To the OP, Personally while driving on the street I would shift around 6-6500rpms and occasionally shift near the 7500 mark (depending on how much variance there is with the analog guage in this car ). Just make sure you check the fluids and do the maintenence a little earlier (closer to the harsh conditions in the Owners manual) and you should be good.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
In my Nissan and the Evo, I generally hit redline once a trip (after the engine is fully warmed up). In my opinion, it helps to clean up the engine a bit (carbon deposits, oil sludge, etc) by getting the oil flow up, combustion temps up, and the also the airflow.

The valve cover came off of my Nissan with 150k miles on it, 80k miles which were boosted, I auto-x'd and tracked that car often, and there was no oil build-up to speak of. It was freakin spotless. I generally ran it out to 7800rpms once a trip.

Now, engine wear is proportional to how much time it spends at high revs. The more time it spends at high rpms, the life goes down exponentionally. The old Champ car engines went from revving like 18k down to 13k, but increased the boost pressure to make the same power. By lowering the revs however, they were able to increase the time between rebuilds from every two races to like 5 or more or something. Of course, those engines spend ~80% of the time in the upper rpm range.

For our engines, redlining once a day will not significantly affect wear, as it's only for a split second; IMO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it a bad idea to Redline the Evo X Constantly?