Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X MR HP Tuning Limitations?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2008, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X MR HP Tuning Limitations?

I am in the market for the X MR. I went to a Mitsu dealer and was informed by the sales guy that the MR is not good for tuning, in terms of added HP. He said that at a training seminar, he was informed that the double clutch transmission was engineered to handle the factory spec power and no more so advised if anyone wished to heavily mod their new evo X, to buy the 5 speed GSR. I'm not sure if this is a sales gimmick to move the GSR's or if this is true. I suppose it makes sense, but I would also think, Mitsu would engineer the two transmissions to handle the same power. If anyone can shed light on this, please let me know. I want to get the MR but I don't want to be limited in anyway. Thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Im sure the SST can handle more power but if your trying to add like 200whp maybe the more battle tested 5 speed would better serve you

I'd like an MR also, but it'd be with my GTR and would be my daily driver ... And used for autox... Therefore big hp isnt needed...

Are you planning on using it for drag racing?
Old Mar 3, 2008, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

My friend is a GM at a mitsu store and he told me the same thing. Ive read about it in a few articles as well.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

I totally think it's a sales gimmick! The stupid Courtesy Imports dealership in Nevada tried to pull the same crap on me...saying bad things about the MR and that it won't be out until the end of the year...hah! I really think the SST is going to surprise people, not only as a daily driver, but as a reliable, mod capable vehicle! Just because it doesn't have a clutch doesn't mean it'll break! It's like saying don't mod your SMG BMW...come on, I had a friend that tuned the hell outta his new M3 with SMG and it was no problem on the tranny! Let's wait for the review from this past weekend at willow, that should also help with your decision
Old Mar 3, 2008, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Shahul X
Im sure the SST can handle more power but if your trying to add like 200whp maybe the more battle tested 5 speed would better serve you

I'd like an MR also, but it'd be with my GTR and would be my daily driver ... And used for autox... Therefore big hp isnt needed...

Are you planning on using it for drag racing?
I'm thinking I'd be happy with 100whp, the car is already fast but I want a clear edge. Of course I'd be doing some typical street race stuff but I will primarily be using it for road racing at Thunderhill and Infineon. My understanding is that for drag, the 5 speed is clearly better since the clutch will grab better and more easily upgraded.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 05:10 AM

Yes, the MR will be limited on how much "torque" you can mod up to. According to the specs on the tranny, it will only handle a max torque output of around 347 ft/lb of torque at the crank. Although this is still more than the stock output. This tranny is actually rather weak and will not hold up to alot of abuse and modding. The other downside is, it will be a couple of years before anyone can mod the tranny or build a beefed up replacement unit that is cost effective. I'm also pretty sure that the tranny ECU has some safeguards that will cause the car to go into a limp mode if the engine gets near the torque threshold of the transmission (speculation).

http://www.getrag.de/en/234

So, yes the GSR is the way to go if you want to mod this car.

Last edited by Evil_X; Mar 4, 2008 at 05:13 AM.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

I love how you guys are saying it won't be able to do this and it won't be able to do that when the car isn't even released yet. Instead of making threads like this which no one but the Mitsu Engineer who designed the SST Tranny can answer, wait for the MR to come out and wait for a couple of members/vendors to mod it and see what it does. Threads like this almost amount to: What do you guys think the EVO XI will do? Hmm...I'm not really sure.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
who knows????
Old Mar 4, 2008, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

I read the same thing in several articles about the MR, even ones from the UK and Aussie land. The new SST is there as a sporty luxury item and can not handle the too much more additional power without breaking.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Faust
I love how you guys are saying it won't be able to do this and it won't be able to do that when the car isn't even released yet. Instead of making threads like this which no one but the Mitsu Engineer who designed the SST Tranny can answer, wait for the MR to come out and wait for a couple of members/vendors to mod it and see what it does. Threads like this almost amount to: What do you guys think the EVO XI will do? Hmm...I'm not really sure.
Well, for one thing. Mitsu did not even design the transmission (or even the engine when it come down to it. It is still the GEMA engine base.). Hell, all of Mitsu's powertrains are outsourced. Even thier diesel's are VW/Audi engines. The tranny is a GETRAG design and is also going to be used in several other makes of cars. And yes, nobody can be sure as to what the MR can do mod wise. But look at the GSR that had the clutch let go already during mod's. I doubt the SST will handle more power than the 5spd in the GSR.

I do agree that the MR can be modded, but "limited" is all.

Last edited by Evil_X; Mar 4, 2008 at 05:37 AM.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heres the deal. If you want to get serious about modding, the GSR is the one. Unofficially, the MR can probably handle about another 80hp and tq which is pretty basic mods before having major issues. There are two problems you will run into n the MR.

First, you CANNOT mod it without being able to tune both the ecu and transmission ecu. If you do, it will shut down. Tuning the main ecu is not that big a deal and will be available in probably not too long. The transmission computer not only seems to be harder to crack, but also a completely new thing to tune, and as such it will be a while before people get it right. Being that this is an expensive unit to replace and there is no repairing it, this is something to be very careful with tuning. If you have that computer tuned and blow your tranny, don't expect Mistu to warranty it.

The second problem is heat. Once you do tune the computers and add power, the clutches will produce more heat. The transmission senses surface heat on the clutches and makes adjustments to how the car reacts accordingly to preserve itself. By adding a lot more power, it will make heat quicker when pushing it hard. Without an aftermarket solution to deal with the added heat, more power wont always net you faster acceleration.

At 100 or more hp over stock, you may run into more serious problems of component failure or just complete resistance by the transmission to even attempt to put the power down. So ultimately if you want anything more than an exhaust and tune in the long run, the MR probably is not for you
Old Mar 4, 2008, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, good to know, thanks Charles...

Well I think I'd still get the MR... I'd probably just do a tune and let it go.... I need to keep the driveability and noise down for the wife and my commute...

But an extra 80hp isnt bad if you mainly autoX... But the drag racers will want the gsr as already stated

I'll mod the gtr... Hope the Borg Warner dual clutch in that car can handle more mods
Old Mar 4, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

I'd get the PB MR as a daily driver...and keep my 8 for when i want mod something...the tranny limitation is a built-in safeguard in case i want to throw more money at the new X, haha.

Just get an exhaust, IC, and a tune and that'd be a sweet ride for everyday cruising.

Last edited by yellowEVO21; Mar 4, 2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

yes it would
Old Mar 4, 2008, 08:24 AM

idk about that..

how many people actually stop at exhaust and tune?

i think its pretty stupid of MITSU to put this tranny in if its not going to be modable serioulsy i would bet 75% ove evo's in the united states have more then a exhaust and tune.. i mean come on.. thats pretty much the reason most people buy this car is because of the damn potential.....

i REALLY REALLY wanted to like and buy the EVO. but the GSR just seems too cheap for a 30k car the MR seemed perfect for me.. but i know FOR A FACT that if all i can do is a exhaust and tune then i def dont want this car period!!!!!!!

if the GSR was a damn 6 speed manual i would buy one of those asap and live without the added amenities on the MR but honestly the new 08 STI is starting to look very good to me..

ehhhh i guess all this wait is really getting to me.. too much time is making me second guess the EVO X and really look at the car and the competition...

also the VW MK5 r32 while slow compared to the evo and sti is going for REALLY REALLY good deals now.. and the exhuast note and interior on those cars are sweet...

Quick Reply: Evo X MR HP Tuning Limitations?