Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

QTP electric exhaust cutout

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QTP electric exhaust cutout

I installed this yesterday. I'm told it can add some pore or response. I have it on a Ultimate Racing Exhaust. The exhaust probably flows pretty well without it but I was bored and it seemed like a fun thing to play with.

At cruising speeds it's actually not that loud. Under WOT it sounds good. Vibrates the seat.

Here are a few photos. I bought the chrome tip as well. It can turn 360 degrees so you can aim the exhaust.

I put the switch in one of the blank spots in the center divider. You will see I haven't finished it yet. Need to open the hole a little more.

image by Uscbryan, on Flickr

Last edited by Uscbryan; Jul 10, 2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Can this be used with stock exhaust
Old Jul 11, 2014, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cutouts are awesome for the street/track! Get that extra power but dont have to listen to some open downpipe all the time when its not needed.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
QTP makes some great products. I ran their cutout on my GSX back in 2003-2004 then sold the car. I ran their downpipe/cutout on my Evo for 5-6yrs.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:09 PM

Looks nice!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:00 AM

Been looking for something like this .. Any sound vids ?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

I think a video would really be useless. You won't be able to get anywhere near the true sound.

I can give you one warning, DON'T drive with it open too much. I have been opening it on the freeways when I drive home and when I close it on the side streets my UR Exhaust, which some consider on the louder side, sounds stock to me. Lol. No exaggeration. It's so quiet after driving with the cut out open.

Cruising with the cutout isn't really super loud but when you get on it, it shakes your seat. Sounds good at higher RPM's. Can hear the turbo going through it as well.

It's fun though. Couple of mustangs took a double take. It's fun being a little immature and blasting slow driving Prius.

I'll usually just open it on the freeway then close it getting off the freeway. No louder than those POS Harleys that sound like cement mixer raped a jack hammer and had a inbreed kid.

You do get some nice popping and back fires at times between gears. Friend said he saw a flame shoot out from under the car.

I used a dremel to make the opening just big enough to push the switch all the way down without going through and holding it tight. Maybe someday I'll make a little piece that goes over the top. But it works. Ran the power to the switch through the dash to the fuse box and used one of the fuse taps. Put it in the power sunroof spot since I don't have a sunroof.

Last edited by Uscbryan; Jul 16, 2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I was considering having a setup where you could alternate between a Downpipe with recirc and open dump tube but the weight, cost and complexity of having 2 cutout valves scared me away.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hiboost
I was considering having a setup where you could alternate between a Downpipe with recirc and open dump tube but the weight, cost and complexity of having 2 cutout valves scared me away.
english racing did a back to back comparo of an ams widemouth and a open dump down pipe and the gains were intense. im wondering what their boost activated cutout would do with an open dump, or even the qtp. i think it would be pretty sick to do the comparison. two dumps, imagine if it was really really sick. might make afrs' go to ham though....
Old Jul 24, 2014, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure if it makes a power difference. I can't feel any. But I am having my EF3 and AMS DP installed next week so maybe if he tunes for it I will see a benefit. Mostly I like the sound. Once the EF3 is on there it will make a much cooler sound.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Uscbryan
I'm not sure if it makes a power difference. I can't feel any. But I am having my EF3 and AMS DP installed next week so maybe if he tunes for it I will see a benefit. Mostly I like the sound. Once the EF3 is on there it will make a much cooler sound.
of course it will benefit! bryan picked up 20whp and torque with 200 rpm of spool when he switched! ya goof lol
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Yea but I also read a lot stating you will see less gains if you already have a free flowing exhaust. Which makes sense.

Originally Posted by nalani69
of course it will benefit! bryan picked up 20whp and torque with 200 rpm of spool when he switched! ya goof lol
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:32 PM

Was the switch a custom job, or does the kit include the pieces for a switch?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Switch came with it.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 07:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Any long term users of this? Are you tuned with the switch open?

Quick Reply: QTP electric exhaust cutout