Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch slip?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch slip?

I got my 2012 GSR new in 2012. I really never has a previous stick long enough for the clutch to slip so not sure if what's happening is normal clutch slip.

I'm tuned on E85 with all the bolt ons including the MAP EF3 turbo. I'm at about 440hp on the Mustang dyno. I installed a Competition twin clutch about a year ago. Less than 20k miles on it. The other day when I was taking a friend for a ride I noticed the car pull fine until about 5k RPMs then it just jumps to redline. I have never launched it or had a chance to track it since I got the clutch. Any sort of pull I have done has always been rolling and I don't do it that often.

Is that how clutches usually slip? It feels fine up to about 5k

I also had the AMS CMC upgrade installed a few months ago and I adjusted the clutch pedal a little after they installed it. That wouldn't be the cause of it, right? I adjusted the pedal the day they installed it so it have been fine the last few months.

I guess it just seems odd the clutch went out that fast. I changed my stock clutch out at 50k miles and it still had life on it so I don't think I'm super rough on clutches.

On a positive note, by buddy screamed like a little girl and that's only being able to pull until 5k RPM. I'm going to have to put a camera facing him when I take him for a ride after it's fixed. Should be pretty embarrassing for him but highly entertaining for me

Thank you
Old May 15, 2015, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hope it's just out of adjustment. Try that first before you pull the transmission.
Old May 16, 2015, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah usually when your clutch is slipping your RPMs will jump right when you get on the gas. well that's what my car did when the clutch was slipping so it doesn't sound like yours is.
Old May 18, 2015, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the responses. I'm just not sure what adjustment would cause that if it's an adjustment problem. I can adjust the pedal height and I did that. I can adjust the reverse pull rod but that was done a couple of months ago when I had the AMS CMC installed.
Old May 22, 2015, 01:46 AM
Evolving Member

your clutch is definitly slipping...
Old May 22, 2015, 04:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by slvrevo84
your clutch is definitly slipping...
^^^This. at 5k finally built enough torque to over power the clutch.
Old May 22, 2015, 08:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clutch is cooked, sorry man but that is 100% a slipping clutch. If it isn't too far gone, it should only be slipping when you floor it or hit heavy boost (RPM's go up, car doesn't move) and you can still drive it easy without the slipping, but be advised, it's only going to get worse. Replacement is needed unfortunately.