Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

coolant leaking from turbo hotside

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
coolant leaking from turbo hotside

so I noticed a burning coolant smell. I looked unter the hood near the turbo hotside and noticed white what appears to be dried coolant residue. I've been working all week so I haven't had time to do a leakdown test or compression test but based on the symptoms I'm not showing any signs of a bad HG. Its a garrett 3076r with a .63ar hotside and it seems coolant is leaking from where the 02 housing meets the hotside. I've searched and searched to see if a coolant lines/seals internally could leak into the hot side but wasn't able to find good info on this. Just through I would throw this to you all before I try and diognose on saturday. Anyone ever heard of this, and trust me I've thought and re thought about a bad HG but it was already replaced machined and arp studs installed and it's not showing symptoms of it so I really think it's within the turbo. Any input on this would be great.

doesn't appear to be leaking from the lines them selves exterior of the turbo either.

thanks
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by luvboost
so I noticed a burning coolant smell. I looked unter the hood near the turbo hotside and noticed white what appears to be dried coolant residue. I've been working all week so I haven't had time to do a leakdown test or compression test but based on the symptoms I'm not showing any signs of a bad HG. Its a garrett 3076r with a .63ar hotside and it seems coolant is leaking from where the 02 housing meets the hotside. I've searched and searched to see if a coolant lines/seals internally could leak into the hot side but wasn't able to find good info on this. Just through I would throw this to you all before I try and diognose on saturday. Anyone ever heard of this, and trust me I've thought and re thought about a bad HG but it was already replaced machined and arp studs installed and it's not showing symptoms of it so I really think it's within the turbo. Any input on this would be great.

doesn't appear to be leaking from the lines them selves exterior of the turbo either.

thanks
Is this the bolt-on turbo that works with the stock exhaust manifold? There are a few places for the coolant leak to be coming from: the stock hard line (a friend of mine had one crack on him which he got brazed back together), coolant hose, and where the hard lines bolt to the center housing (possible the copper crush washers were left off, banjo bolts not torqued properly, etc).

It is impossible for there to be an internal coolant leak in the turbo. So it's either coming from where the coolant lines connect to the turbo, or the coolant lines themselves somewhere.

But like I mentioned, a buddy of mine had the stock hard line crack.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Cool Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. I have an rnr RAM horn equal legnth exhaust mani and that appears ok.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

99 views and no ones seems to have heard of this?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well you could have 99 people responding with "nope, never heard of this" if it makes you feel better!

If it's happening on normal drive cycles, maybe pop the hood and check to see if you can catch it in the act. Likely it's oozing out as the car cools and initially it's just a mist due to the heat. Probably once the engine starts to cool off but the cooling system is still pressurized it is starting to show a wet leak of coolant from the source of the problem.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

lol I know. Just being board.

I'll check into that as well.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

update on this since it's been so long. It wasn't the turbo, it was leaking out of the dp because coolant was leaking from the block into the combustion chamber during cool down when the car would sit so when I started it up, it would burn/leak the little bit that was in the chamber. My solution was I pulled the whole motor and built it
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Where in MO are you located at? Also did you sell the Evo X?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

located in ofallon MO. Yes the X is gone.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too keep this thread alive.... I have a garret gtx3582r and I'm leaking coolant too and right on top of my header. I'll see what I can do this weekend.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

pull plugs when the motor cools and make sure there's no coolant chillin ontop of the cylinder.