Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo actuator

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo actuator

seem to be getting mixed signals from a variety of threads... I've got the 2010 evo X completely stock, don't wanna tune it (due to jeopardizing the warranty, not looking to debate if the dealership can tell or not) (seeing as the actuator is such an easy part to install i'd just be putting it on and off depending on if i was going in to the shop) Really just want to know if putting an aftermarket wastegate actuator on and leaving stock tune no aftermarket electronic boost controller, is it a bad idea? some are saying that the ecu boost values are not based on real life turbo values but standardized values based on stock set up. Just wanna solve boost fade, not interested in making crazy boost, or trying to push the turbo into high heat situations (inefficiency levels).
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:17 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't be silly. If you do anything, do a boost pill and tune with all else stock. Crank the WGA arm down a few turns on the stock turbo and call it good. Do a testpipe/catback, tehy can't void your warranty for that.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

still don't wanna do the tune, would consider a piggie-back system but i'm just not sold on doing a tune, getting busted for doing it, and be out a warranty even if they only void per each issue you bring to them. Looking for an answer around if i can do the aftermarket WGA today no problems stock tune...??? and its a GSR not and MR so not sure if the pill advise still stands, regardless i'm not gonna do a tune, but i wanna do the WGA, maybe someday i'll get talked into a tune, but not today.

Last edited by SavageGSR; Feb 1, 2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 02:19 PM
EvoM Moderator

Get sold, the dealer cannot detect a reflash. Piggyback, LOL.

do NOT turn up the boost w/o a tune. Your car will run like ish and go into limp mode.....unless you tune it
Old Feb 1, 2012, 03:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scheides
Get sold, the dealer cannot detect a reflash. Piggyback, LOL.

do NOT turn up the boost w/o a tune. Your car will run like ish and go into limp mode.....unless you tune it
This. The dealer can't detect a reflash without some serious digging. Besides, they can only deny warranty coverage for parts damaged by your mods. If you get a tune, and all 4 of your wheels fall off... They HAVE to cover the wheel issues under warranty.

Look into the Cobb AccessPORT. If you need more info, PM me. We offer an EvoM Members Discount as well.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=Vivid Racing;9933682] and all 4 of your wheels fall off... They HAVE to cover the wheel issues under warranty.

not the wheels i'd be worried about, the dealer here locally isn't exactly mod friendly. They've already had a special tech / rep up to look at the car when i made the first claim on the warranty, their not stupid and they'd spend the time to find out. I realize the advantage to the tune, but i'm not willing to do it that way just yet, wanna go another route if tuning is the only way with this bolt on. "does it work without tuning it?" was hoping limp mode wasn't always the case, seems like from some others they gotten away without tunes even sold specifically saying so on some sites.

Last edited by SavageGSR; Feb 1, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

The Cobb AP is undetectable when unmarried. This sounds like the best option for you.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by black95tt
The Cobb AP is undetectable when unmarried. This sounds like the best option for you.
How sure are you that its undetectable? I've heard its the opposite, no matter what degree you go to, the dealer is able to tell if you've tuned it regardless of method, even if its difficult for them to do it can be done. Like i said i've had issues with this dealership second guessing everything, they don't get a lot of evo's come in and when i'm in i get the evil eye.

back to the main question can anyone answer definitively, is it unsafe to run the aftermarket WGA without tuning, or are they safe on stock tune, better obviously with tune... but they appear to be selling / working fine on stock components. If requiring a tune, i'm gonna live with boost fade for a while longer, just getting started here.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

surely if people are putting external advanced auto parts springs on the stock WGA, a more "splash and dash fix", holding it closed by simply adding the spring on the flapper and the outter diaphragm, than adding an actual designed aftermarket WGA with stiffer internal spring has to be possible & safe?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SavageGSR
How sure are you that its undetectable? I've heard its the opposite, no matter what degree you go to, the dealer is able to tell if you've tuned it regardless of method, even if its difficult for them to do it can be done. Like i said i've had issues with this dealership second guessing everything, they don't get a lot of evo's come in and when i'm in i get the evil eye.

back to the main question can anyone answer definitively, is it unsafe to run the aftermarket WGA without tuning, or are they safe on stock tune, better obviously with tune... but they appear to be selling / working fine on stock components. If requiring a tune, i'm gonna live with boost fade for a while longer, just getting started here.
Where have you heard the opposite? Look at Cobb's website. They specifically state that it is undetectable once unmarried. That is what sets it apart from ECU Flash (where detectability is questionable).

Quote:
"At this time, we have absolutely ZERO evidence that if you uninstall your AccessPORT from your vehicle, that there is any indication that the car was ever flashed.

Travis
COBB Tuning "

I would not mess with the wastegate unless you get tuned. Your risks are the same aren't they? Possible damage could be done, then what? You go to Mitsu with everything back to stock and play dumb? Not worth it. Even with the wastegate you are still aren't going to hold boost. The turbo just doesn't flow enough.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...pring-mod.html

in reference to the advanced auto parts external spring.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by black95tt
Even with the wastegate you are still aren't going to hold boost. The turbo just doesn't flow enough.
you saying the aftermarket wastegates don't hold boost through out the RPM levels? regardless of what the turbo flows i'd like to hold the boost level rather than loose it prematurely through the WGA. Realizing there are peaks and lower retained PSI depending on controller, cylnoid, and turbo, but surely a stronger spring inside the WGA will improve the fade after the initial peak following through the RPM's. My question is still standing can this be done on Stock Tune safely?

Last edited by SavageGSR; Feb 2, 2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:08 AM
EvoM Moderator

None of this changes the fact that your car will go into limp mode if you raise the boost and don't tune for it
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

but in only putting the waste gate actuator on, this should in theory not change the boost but change the amount that is wasted prematurely through RPM's no? hence making it a safe mod, stock tune? In changing just the actuator i understand the boost levels would raise but not outside of stock parameters, so peak should still be within peak stock range, but after 4K rpms the fade should be reduced. Perhaps this is where i've gone wrong in thinking and this would solve this thread!!! my intention is not to raise boost
Old Feb 2, 2012, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the dealership has a tech looking for something, then I wouldn't recommend modifying the wasegate or any physical part. It could turn out to be even worse for warranty claims if they see something has been changed. Just like stated before, a Cobb AP is your best solution. When you unmarry it, not just flash the "like stock map" it will replace your stock rom file.

Quick Reply: Turbo actuator