Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Brand New OEM Shortblock = Fail

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2011, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand New OEM Shortblock = Fail

So I ordered a brand new OEM 4B11T shortblock, disassembled it, and am almost done rebuilding it with upgraded internals, and guess what I find out? They forgot to drill and tap the bolt hole for the timing chain oil jet. Like hell if I'm going to tear down my new block to send it back to them. These piston rings are already file fit to each individual bore. Time to document this screw up and make them compensate me for it. What a load of crap.

Does anybody here have any experience buying and building up a brand new OEM shortblock? Am I an idiot and for some reason is this hole NOT supposed to come pre-drilled and tapped?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

.....so the robot "forgot" to drill the hole AND

....the Q.A. / inspector did not see the hole was missing.

that is seriously f'ed up !
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 07outty
.....so the robot "forgot" to drill the hole AND

....the Q.A. / inspector did not see the hole was missing.

that is seriously f'ed up !
Apparently.

I know a handful of people have purchased new 4B11T's and I wanted to check if this is "normal" before I give ol' MMNA a call. I don't mind drilling and tapping the hole, but I'm not letting them get away with this for free.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

This illustrates exactly what the difference is:

Name:  100_3593.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  82.0 KB

Does anybody who has build up a brand new engine recently have an answer to this? I have a parts guy at my dealership calling MMNA right now about this discrepancy.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry I dont mean to thread jack but how much was the block?

and yea that is eff'd up I wonder how much they'll compinsate you for?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could it be possible that later model years of the car source the oil from a different place?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Could it be possible that later model years of the car source the oil from a different place?
They indeed did make a change to the oiling system here, but the dealership couldn't find me that info.

Tim from AMS just emailed me back and this is a change Mitsubishi made, and newer model years no longer utilize a timing chain oil jet (and instead use that small hole).

Never mind then! This is still good info, I'm just surprised Mitsu apparently didn't have a TSB out about this.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

A TSB for what though? It's really an update to the oiling system. Really no reasonable way to modify older models to this system.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bighec
A TSB for what though? It's really an update to the oiling system. Really no reasonable way to modify older models to this system.
A TSB is usually issued for changes like this that vary what the Factory Service Manual says to do. I'm still baffled as to how the master technician at the stealership didn't know about this change.

But I suppose this isn't relevant unless you're replacing an entire engine or shortblock. Still, it ought not be hard for a dealership to figure out a change like this. I was told it would possibly be until next week until they got me a "for sure" answer. *rolls eyes*
Old Jan 14, 2011, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Yea, I know about the whole TSB thing, but that info wouldn't be available to the public I don't think. When I world for Beamer we had a special website we had to go on. Required a log in and everything. On another note though it's interesting that the dealer has no info on this. It's clearly different. The regular Lancers come with a 4b11 don't they? Is it possible they gave you the wrong block?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

I will check out my new shortblock on Sunday and see if mine is the same.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:18 PM

Yeah, my mechanic informed me that my block was missing this today too. We thought it was a defect but I guess its not according to this thread.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bighec
Yea, I know about the whole TSB thing, but that info wouldn't be available to the public I don't think. When I world for Beamer we had a special website we had to go on. Required a log in and everything. On another note though it's interesting that the dealer has no info on this. It's clearly different. The regular Lancers come with a 4b11 don't they? Is it possible they gave you the wrong block?
Right, but the dealership claimed there was no TSB referring to this at all. Which is really weird.

And, no, it's for sure the right block. I've already upgraded the internals and what came out was Evo stuff. Not to mention it's a partially closed deck

Originally Posted by overlord2kx
Yeah, my mechanic informed me that my block was missing this today too. We thought it was a defect but I guess its not according to this thread.
It's definitely not a defect - I was convinced when I contacted AMS Performance's engine builder who called Mitsubishi about this very issue and they said it's an across-the-board change with newer blocks.

Now... I wonder WHY they changed this. hmmmmm
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Awesome! This makes me feel so much better. My block is exactly the same. I got it middle of December from MAP.

I guess I will move forward with my rebuild!
Old Jan 15, 2011, 04:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
they managed to save 38cents for every short they make...

Quick Reply: Brand New OEM Shortblock = Fail