Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mahle pistons

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mahle pistons

Mahle makes pistons for a couple of other makes of car brands that are direct replacement pistons and i see they have a piston for the 4b11t motor. Does anyone know if this is a drop in piston without having to resleeve your motor?

http://www.us.mahle.com/C1256F7900537A47/vwContentByKey/W26HSFB8505STULEN/$FILE/2010%20AP%20complete.pdf
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

I've never heard of anyone doing new sleeves...you'd just bore it to one size larger.

I did drop-ins using the Buschur JE pistons in standard size. You'd want a low mileage motor to attempt that.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by mlomker
I've never heard of anyone doing new sleeves...you'd just bore it to one size larger.

I did drop-ins using the Buschur JE pistons in standard size. You'd want a low mileage motor to attempt that.
Ok so you did stock bore pistons, and dropped them in. Did you have to rehone the block? and you stayed with the stock compression?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

how low is low ?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here is the deal as said before, if its a replacement piston, if you have less than 10k miles on the car, you can do a direct replacement without any honing. I would still recommend doing a cross hatch hone anyways for safety, and you can do this yourself with a drill and purchase a cross hatch hone. If its a larger piston, you have to take it to a machine shop and have them increase the bore size, AMS came out with there big bore kit, where they sleeved the bore and put a bigger piston in, this was done to Ryan Gates car. I like it but i have some questions I want answered about it myself. So yeah that's that, if you have questions PM me.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by H Jensen
here is the deal as said before, if its a replacement piston, if you have less than 10k miles on the car, you can do a direct replacement without any honing. I would still recommend doing a cross hatch hone anyways for safety, and you can do this yourself with a drill and purchase a cross hatch hone. If its a larger piston, you have to take it to a machine shop and have them increase the bore size, AMS came out with there big bore kit, where they sleeved the bore and put a bigger piston in, this was done to Ryan Gates car. I like it but i have some questions I want answered about it myself. So yeah that's that, if you have questions PM me.
Ok thats pretty much what i thought.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2mchbst
Did you have to rehone the block? and you stayed with the stock compression?
No honing, we just dropped them in. Stock compression. My motor had 6k miles.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

However, the hone is still a recommendation to break the glaze on the sleeves. Once those piston rings set in you should hone for safety.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by murlo26
However, the hone is still a recommendation to break the glaze on the sleeves. Once those piston rings set in you should hone for safety.
Says the guy that has to pull his motor anyway. Buschur and quite a few other shops have done drop-ins without pulling the motor.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Says the guy that has to pull his motor anyway. Buschur and quite a few other shops have done drop-ins without pulling the motor.
Well yea, my choice was made easy, lol. But it is still a recommendation that most would give I am not saying it is a necessity, but if you ask a shop they would rather do it.

I am now thinking about sending my block to darton for a little 2.2L action with those arias 10:1 compression pistons...man that would be cool, but i am already in over my head, lol.