Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

WARNING / HOW TO: Fuel Line Return (High Pressure)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2010, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
WARNING / HOW TO: Fuel Line Return (High Pressure)

There is a potential for having very high fuel pressure in the EVO X if the stock fuel system is modified.

The reason for this is the stock fuel pump assembly return line flaw...

I upgraded my fuel system with the following...

Upgraded fuel rail, injectors, fuel lines AN 6 feed and return, return line AN 4 to hard line, inline fuel filter, 1:1 fuel pressure regulator, walboro fuel pump.

What started to happen is a very high fuel pressure... of 80+ psi at the FPR.

STOCK: 38 PSI with VAC
STOCK: 45-50 PSI with NO VAC

My reading = 80 PSI (something was not right)

After getting to do the fuel pump assembly installing the new fuel pump and FPR I was still getting 80 psi...

After much searching (with help of theSIN) we figured out why...

1.) You need to take out the fuel pump assembly and all the goodies inside... there is multiple how to's refer to those for the steps.

1.) There is a restriction in the fuel return housing part. There is a 3 way connector. One hole has a pin hole (literally) in it. It has to be enlarged in order to accommodate more flow (larger lines, higher flowing fuel pump). Here is a after the enlargement picture.

Need a 5/16" drill bit & drill to enlarge it.

Name:  2010-03-08193511.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  54.2 KB

2.) The fuel return line has a FILTER!!! I know WTF is what I thought as well. It is miniature. Maybe like 4mm in size. It sits in the fuel return line assembly (you need to take off the fuel hose to see it or unclog it). If this filter gets clog it will cause your fuel pressure to sky rocket.

Name:  2010-03-08214208.jpg
Size:  48.3 KB

Here is the picture of the filter... It was clogged with this rubber gasket (not sure where it came from).

Name:  2010-03-08214232.jpg
Size:  86.2 KB

Also in the same connector there is a spring with valve in it. I believe it is a pressure relief valve. I opted to keep mine functional however. I did port the passage with a 5mm drill bit.

Name:  2010-03-08193449.jpg
Size:  58.8 KB

Pressure Relief Valve Apart

Name:  2010-03-08193401.jpg
Size:  58.5 KB

3.) I also ported 3 of the 4 passage with a 5mm drill bit to enhance flow.

Name:  2010-03-08214208.jpg
Size:  48.3 KB

SIDE
Name:  2010-03-08193449.jpg
Size:  58.8 KB

BOTTOM
Name:  2010-03-08193435.jpg
Size:  56.0 KB

Picture of Setup

Name:  2010-03-08233948.jpg
Size:  92.6 KB

Name:  2010-03-08233928.jpg
Size:  104.5 KB

Question:

Are you sure it wasn't just the clog? I know in 2g dsm's, once the fuel pump is upgraded, you need to drill a larger hole somewhere. Its on part due to having a saddlebag fuel tank.

Answer:

I first drilled the larger orifices (step one) reinstalled the assembly. It dropped my fuel pressure 60 psi. Still too high. I went searching and the return line filter was clogged. So if you do any work on your fuel system it is very possible to clog the return line. The filter is tiny. So anything small will clog it no doubt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2010-03-08214208.jpg (48.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg
2010-03-08193449.jpg (58.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Clipse3GT; Mar 9, 2010 at 01:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Clipse3GT:
Lightsaber (Jun 3, 2017), m_power (Oct 7, 2017)
Old Mar 9, 2010, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting... Surprised this is the first time anyone has spoken of this. I would think Buschur or AMS would have caught this issue.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice work Clipse, thanks for the effort.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by itzwolf
Interesting... Surprised this is the first time anyone has spoken of this. I would think Buschur or AMS would have caught this issue.
There's no way of telling if he would've just removed the clog and done no modification whether or not it would've COMPLETELY solved the high pressure issue.

Based on the "evidence," you cannot conclude that any modification to the return line is necessary.

I am upgrading my fuel system shortly to accommodate E85 in this manner:

Completely stock fuel pump/tank

In-line filter

Surge tank

Walbro 255lph fuel pump

In-line filter

Stock fuel system from there up until a set of 1100cc injectors

The first in-line filter is mainly for the E85 conversion and to save the surge tank and Walbro from any "leftovers" the E85 frees up. The second in-line filter is for redundancy. I'll clean out and inspect both filters periodically to make sure nothing more than expected shows up while the system is getting used to E85.

clipse, thanks for the info on the stock return line's filter, I'll see what I can do with that when the time comes to connect the fuel rail's return line over to the surge tank.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe, for ****s n giggles, I'll take out that tiny little return line filter and drop it in a small jar of E85 and let it sit for a while...
Old Mar 9, 2010, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Frankiago
There's no way of telling if he would've just removed the clog and done no modification whether or not it would've COMPLETELY solved the high pressure issue.

Based on the "evidence," you cannot conclude that any modification to the return line is necessary.

I am upgrading my fuel system shortly to accommodate E85 in this manner:

Completely stock fuel pump/tank

In-line filter

Surge tank

Walbro 255lph fuel pump

In-line filter

Stock fuel system from there up until a set of 1100cc injectors

The first in-line filter is mainly for the E85 conversion and to save the surge tank and Walbro from any "leftovers" the E85 frees up. The second in-line filter is for redundancy. I'll clean out and inspect both filters periodically to make sure nothing more than expected shows up while the system is getting used to E85.

clipse, thanks for the info on the stock return line's filter, I'll see what I can do with that when the time comes to connect the fuel rail's return line over to the surge tank.
Question:

Are you sure it wasn't just the clog? I know in 2g dsm's, once the fuel pump is upgraded, you need to drill a larger hole somewhere. Its on part due to having a saddlebag fuel tank.

Answer:

I first drilled the larger orifices (step one) reinstalled the assembly. It dropped my fuel pressure 60 psi. Still too high. I went searching and the return line filter was clogged. So if you do any work on your fuel system it is very possible to clog the return line. The filter is tiny. So anything small will clog it no doubt.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
And if you didn't drill anything at all and removed the clog? That's what I was getting at...
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think it hurts anything if you do these modifications. It is just peace of mind and gives you control over the fuel pressure better. Right now I can go from 20-90 psi pretty much.

I don't think people actually check their fuel pressure. I bet there might be a handful of EVO's that are running around 60+ psi without even knowing it.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

And if you didn't drill anything at all and removed the clog? That's what I was getting at...
I understand, but if drilling the pin hole did nothing then the pressure would not drop as well. Depends on how you look at it.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah but really curious as to where that chunk of rubber came from...

Like you said, some might even be tuned with 60psi fuel pressure without even knowing it

I can just see it now... people purposely putting a restriction in the return line's filter as a ghetto way of raising fuel pressure and getting away with using smaller injectors...
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:07 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The fuel system on the Evo X is the worst I have ever seen. We will have another thread on another very dangerous part of the fuel system. Worse being that without upgrading it from stock, it still can cause catastrophic engine failure.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Well I don't know if I'd go THAT far... we have a return line stock. 350Z and G35 guys pay $1,000+++ to upgrade their entire fuel systems to have a return line (not including the cost of injectors)
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
The fuel system on the Evo X is the worst I have ever seen. We will have another thread on another very dangerous part of the fuel system. Worse being that without upgrading it from stock, it still can cause catastrophic engine failure.
Interesting, staying tuned.

I dunno if I have much left of the stock fuel system any more...

Unless this has to do with the pickup location in the tank...
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Like you said, some might even be tuned with 60psi fuel pressure without even knowing it

I can just see it now... people purposely putting a restriction in the return line's filter as a ghetto way of raising fuel pressure and getting away with using smaller injectors...
Just get a right sized ball bearing and place it in the little filter instant adjustable FPR...

However, with a restriction there. I noticed my pressure gauge was all over the place bouncing at back and forth +/- 5 PSI.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

I dunno where that rubber came from... Might have been their from the factory.

Dunno...

It's not from a rubber hose 100%. It looks almost like that sealing crap they put on the cover around the fuel pump assembly.

Quick Reply: WARNING / HOW TO: Fuel Line Return (High Pressure)