Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Greddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust /w Ichiba Test Pipe Review

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2009, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Greddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust /w Ichiba Test Pipe Review

Let me start off with the ratings on this exhaust.
A = As good as sex
10 = highest
1 = lowest
H = horrible

Cosmetic = 10/10
Loudness = 3/10 no TP, 5/10 with TP
Gruntiness = 2/10 no TP, 8/10 with TP
Growl = 7/10 no TP, A/10 with TP
Bling Factor on Car = A/10
Family safe = A/10 no TP, 7/10 with TP

Review:

My old exhaust I use to have was a HKS Hi Power Exhaust. You can read a review about is here in this link.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...r-exhaust.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...vids-pics.html
The Greddy Spectrum Elite is a totally different exhaust compare to stock and the HKS Hi Power. Due to the sidemount style muffler can and a resonator in the mid pipe, there is more back pressure when compared to a straight through style exhaust like the HKS Hi Power. By saying this, when I first drove the car with just the Greddy SE catback, I felt it had more low-end pull than the HKS Hi Power, but the HKS Hi Power had more mid-end to high-end pull. The aesthetics on this exhaust is the sexiest exhaust I seen in person ever. With the burnt Ti tip look and the fitment was spot on. Installation was easy and does not require instruction manual.

Sound

Before the test pipe was installed, the car was slightly louder than stock but it sound totally stock inside the cabin. If you want to have a totally family safe exhaust system that doesn't annoy wifes and kids, I highly recommend this exhaust. With the stock cat, the db's in the car is stock, but with the test pipe on it sounds a bit more gruntier inside the cabin but no way in hell does it drone or rumble. The test pipe just assures the driver and the people outside "hey check me out I have an exhaust and my car is fast." I have 2 sound clips of the car right now that you can view. I will make one more video sometime this week of just a idle to rev video with the Test Pipe on. The first video is stock cat, the second video is with Test Pipe and a cop pulling me over. The second video has a bit too much highway noise because this was taken at US Cellular parking lot the home of the White Sox parking lot .

New Video 6-16-10. Updated video 10k+ miles on the exhaust with test pipe fully broken in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH21_YNeWXo

Old Videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVF-l5V-o4g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENA_uyFgAxs
Touge Factory Exhaust vid with the same Ichiba Test Pipe installed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNL01...eature=related

Performance

As with any exhaust system, with just a catback exhaust system on a stock cat, it's more of a noise poper with a slight hp gain that gives you the sensation that you have a modified car and I'm fine with that. If you want true performance you got to get a high flow cat or a test pipe. I highly recommend the test pipe because it made the car so much faster that it can be compared to night and day.
First I like to thank Mike and the guys at Touge Factory for hooking me up with the Greddy SE and the Ichiba Test Pipe. They are fast on getting me the exhaust and had Test Pipes stack and ready to be sold. Make sure to get the CEL bung fix as I never got the CEL once when the Test Pipe was installed. Touge Factory has the best price and they don't BS when they say they have the exhaust in stock. If they are ever out of stock they will tell you straight up instead of bsing and saying it'll be in soon and never give you a straight answer as it's on backordered.
With the Test Pipe installed, the car has so much more pull from 2k all the way to redline. The hp gain can be felt throughout the entire rpm band. Yes there is that smell that you get with all test pipes but hey you didn't buy a Evo just to sniff the exhaust all day. Screw the environment because your car was never a fuel efficient car to start with and will always pollute more than a civic.
Weight of the exhaust is definitely lighter than the stock exhaust and the HKS Hi Power. If I have to say, since I didn't scale the exhaust systems, the HKS Hi Power exhaust is 48 lbs, stock is like 51 lbs, Greddy SE is around 36ish lbs.

Conclusion

Buy It, Buy It, Buy It. A complete Test Pipe + Greddy SE will cost you around $1200 or less for the full setup and $1000 or under for just the Greddy SE. If you just want an exhaust just for the sake of having an exhaust and don't really car how much gain you get and just look sick as hell on the streets, get this exhaust. If you want pure sex, get this exhaust + Ichiba Test Pipe, it makes the exhaust sound so JDM and has the performance to back it up. The car now sounds like a true Evo and not just some hopped up Lancer with an exhaust.

Pics

Bonus pics taken today with my buddies.

Special Thanks
Mike at Touge Factory for selling me the Exhaust + Test Pipe + CEL bung fix + Installation of the Test Pipe
http://shop.tougefactory.com/
Ichiba Test Pipe comes with 2 sensor bungs one for stock and one for aftermarket wideband.

Last edited by raytrix; Jun 16, 2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you felt...more low end torque because there is more back pressure...on a turbo car...

regardless, great review and great product!
Old Aug 30, 2009, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

i love everything about the Greddy SE, call me an OCD but the pipe diameter just turns me off.

very good write up.

anyway, what did the cops say???
Old Aug 30, 2009, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

He was like what you doing in here, I was like I was making a driving video. Then he asked how you get in here and why. I was like the gate was opened and I saw another guy driving around here. Which there was another person in the parking lot learning to drive. He let me off and told me to leave and he told the same thing to the newbie learning to drive in the background.

Or maybe the exhaust sound so good it was worth it to the cop to pull me over to hear it again.

Last edited by raytrix; Aug 31, 2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 06:34 PM

Just ordered mine cant wait to put it on. Sounds just right.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Specs of the exhaust?
Old Sep 1, 2009, 08:15 PM

Hm,,,, I think i like your roof fin, where'd you get one?
Old Sep 1, 2009, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Exhaust is 70mm piping with 115mm tips.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

ummm, i don't know about these bent muffler type exhausts, cuz from what i have learned, the more straight the piping, the less restriction, and less lag time, so the low end power should be increased more with the hks. correct me if i am wrong
Old Sep 2, 2009, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

I just noticed the 90 degree bend into the muffler. Holy crap that can't be good for flow!
Old Sep 2, 2009, 04:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
The tips look pretty good on the X, how much does it kneckdown when it goes into the muffler? I haven't had a chance to see one in person yet. I know the HKS reduces pretty good.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 03:57 PM

So you recommend the test pipe? I love the sound, but sometimes when i'm idling, I don't want it too loud.

It's the just the stock one is soooo damn quiet.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 08:42 PM

love mines no problem in nyc by police 4 noise. turbo back and this exhaust is quiet
Old Sep 19, 2009, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

OP, question I have the greddy Ti-c and it has a resonator in it but I've added a test pipe and am going for the ams o2 housing downpipe later. Do you think A: the sound is the same and B: the power gains are the same & C: is the waight of your system a lot heavier? Would it be worth it for me to get the se since I think I want the dual tips again?
Old Sep 19, 2009, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evofan_08
OP, question I have the greddy Ti-c and it has a resonator in it but I've added a test pipe and am going for the ams o2 housing downpipe later. Do you think A: the sound is the same and B: the power gains are the same & C: is the waight of your system a lot heavier? Would it be worth it for me to get the se since I think I want the dual tips again?
Downpipe won't add to the noise.
A. The way that the Ti-c is design with I believe 80mm piping, that exhaust will be even louder if you add the test pipe. It can be comparable to my HKS Hi Power system I use to have. (reference my review post for videos) I believe the way the muffler can + the resonator on the Greddy SE it what makes it sound more quiet than other exhaust systems out. That also in the end, produces a nice smooth tone to the exhaust vs the higher grunty pops you hear all the time in can style exhaust systems (e.g. Ti-c and HKS Hi Power). Ti-c and HKS Hi Power exhaust systems are usually sought after for their race inspired tones you get off them. And as for side mounted muffler style with twin tips usually have more of a luxury/higher class exhaust notes. You can kinda like compare a G35 exhaust note vs a civic with a can exhaust.

B. Greddy SE when compared to my HKS Hi Power Can style exhaust, the SE has more low-end to mid-end power because it has more back pressure vs the straight through design the HKS had. Also power gains with a test pipe is astronomical. Once you go with a test pipe, you'll never want to take it off. It makes the car spool so much fast and pull that much harder when compared to stock cat. Along with a Cobb AP stage 2 mapping, the car screams like a banshee. It's so incomparable to when you first brought the car stock, it isn't funny.

C. The system is definitely heavier than your Ti-c for sure but lighter than stock system. I don't have a accurate weight but I can say it felt around 35lbs.

Last edited by raytrix; Sep 19, 2009 at 08:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Greddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust /w Ichiba Test Pipe Review