Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

~ EVO X : AEM - WORKS - INJEN Intake Shootout: Round 1

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2009, 07:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
~ EVO X : AEM - WORKS - INJEN Intake Shootout: Round 1

I wont waste time. I turn these results over to the the EVO X threads for your consumption. For those who joined us for the DYNO DAY way back in January, here are the official results from that very chilly day. Special thanks to Mobil 1 Canada for helping this event happen. [ NOTE: In the hopes of cutting down on bandwidth usage please dont quote the original post including the images.

ENJOY

Old May 4, 2009, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great post and tests. Cheers. By chance do you have any data concerning the AFR for each?
Old May 4, 2009, 08:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dcpatters
Great post and tests. Cheers. By chance do you have any data concerning the AFR for each?
Thank you for the kind words

In regards to your question...
I believe some AFR data was collected. When Frank lets us in to the shop again I will see if I can grab that, right now he is taking on a huge project and doing complete car rebuilds for Rally related Pursuits. That said from what I remember from Franks Commentary as we went progressively thru the testing. There was nothing remarkable about the AFR readings. Same goes for the PSI / Bar boost readings. Nothing remarkable.
Old May 4, 2009, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Now post round two
Old May 4, 2009, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

great info, thanks!
Old May 4, 2009, 08:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
Now post round two
We will try to get it done as soon as possible. We are looking at June / July trying to make it every 6 months. Its just a matter of funding. If we receive enough sponsorship and enough friendly vendors willing to donate their hardware then we might try to bump this up to a quarterly thing. Its mostly a matter of renting the dyno and Mr. Sprongl's time.

We are trying to cover the bases with Intake Mods first but we will try to gauge public opinion on what direction to strike out into next. top requests so far are Exhaust and Tuning options.
Old May 4, 2009, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
We will try to get it done as soon as possible. We are looking at June / July trying to make it every 6 months. Its just a matter of funding. If we receive enough sponsorship and enough friendly vendors willing to donate their hardware then we might try to bump this up to a quarterly thing. Its mostly a matter of renting the dyno and Mr. Sprongl's time.

We are trying to cover the bases with Intake Mods first but we will try to gauge public opinion on what direction to strike out into next. top requests so far are Exhaust and Tuning options.
The title was misleading. Since I thought the Injen intake was included in round two...

Thanks for effort and research very good info.
Old May 4, 2009, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Great entrepreneurial spirit! Wishing you success with your next event's funding.
Old May 5, 2009, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

very nicely presented!
Old May 5, 2009, 11:42 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nicely laid out test, however the testing is flawed, not due to the testers but due to the intake manufacturer.

The AEM intake uses trick lines to the stock boost control solenoids that raise the boost level and in-turn raise whp.

If this was to be a fair test, then the boost would have to be raised for the INJEN INTAKE, STOCK FILTER, WORKS FILTER, and NO FILTER testing.

Now think about that...
Old May 5, 2009, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

great post i was really looking into that AEM box, but i think ill stick to my HKS drop-in for a bit longer until i upgrade other things
Old May 5, 2009, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Nicely laid out test, however the testing is flawed, not due to the testers but due to the intake manufacturer.

The AEM intake uses trick lines to the stock boost control solenoids that raise the boost level and in-turn raise whp.

If this was to be a fair test, then the boost would have to be raised for the INJEN INTAKE, STOCK FILTER, WORKS FILTER, and NO FILTER testing.

Now think about that...
Yeah I remember reading that somewhere too. Basically we need Mythbusters revisted here to make sure there was a level playing field. I would consider a Manual Boost Controller and verify boost is identical in all tests. Air Fuel ratios can also be thrown off from the higher flow filters as well as a larger MAF housing. Since the stock Evo X cars run so rich, even leaning out a small amount can net significant gains.

The AEM looks like a solid design but if they snuck in a little extra boost and slightly leaner AFR's you will get skewed results. Gains with a nearly stock car are going to be quite a bit less, although as you start getting into the 400-500 crank HP range I can see where upgrading the intake path could open up a bottleneck.
Old May 5, 2009, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the post. Pretty much confirmed the previous posts by Dyno4mance that Works makes a darn good drop-in filter. Either by increasing flow or leaning out the A/F.

Ben
Old May 5, 2009, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

IMHO Any of the intake MFGs could have done what AEM did, however they did not. How is AEM using any tricks? They are doing what they strive to do, create performance products through the research they do. If they discovered their intake could create more power by changing from 1 line to a splitter to 2 lines to a splitter to the boost solenoid.. who cares?

Sorry, I just think that if you're going to compare intakes, that's exactly what was done. Just because AEM has a bit more too it doesn't mean they are skewing the results.

If you stick a stock AEM on, you are not doing any custom tuning. If you stick in the hi-flow and manually adjust the boost to what AEM created, you just custom tuned it and the results are no longer valid in a "stock" setting.

Again, just my opinion.

Edit to clarify:
These results are great for people looking for exact results for bolt-on changes. If they have to get a tune to increase the power of their intake to that of AEMs, it's no longer a valid test since it's no longer just a bolt-on mod.

Last edited by saytheb; May 5, 2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old May 5, 2009, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I see your point and agree that it was clever to get a little extra HP via boost and leaner AFR's. For those that are only going to add minor mods it is a really good bang for the buck mod to make. If your plans include tuning the car for a certain boost and AFR level then those tweaks from the AEM intake won't matter and you would just be looking at the gains from the higher flow airfilter itself.

I guess it all depends on your end goals so the test is valid for comparison of a stock or near stock car without a tune, once you plan on getting a tune that has a set boost and AFR goal then you would get different results comparing the HP increase from the intakes. Still it was a nice job comparing the different intake setups and helps compare them on an untuned car.

Quick Reply: ~ EVO X : AEM - WORKS - INJEN Intake Shootout: Round 1