Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

explanation of the 2 step?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is well known that the factory 2 step (launch control) does build boost. Actually I've never tried it with the car in neutral, but in gear it will build boost. When I was untuned it built boost and now im tuned and it builds boost. AMS knows what they are talking about, maybe there was a confusion in the question you asked over the phone? Unless my car was a freak, the factory 2 step will build boost in the way i described.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@ROBEVO, as you said, a TUNED ecu can allow for boost to build in neutral, NOT A STOCK, UNTUNED ECU. This is what I have said since the beginning. Dude, no offense but you have GOT to improve your english comprehension skills so that arguments like these can be avoided in the future.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

^ read man, it did it when I was UNTUNED as well
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO316
It is well known that the factory 2 step (launch control) does build boost. Actually I've never tried it with the car in neutral, but in gear it will build boost. When I was untuned it built boost and now im tuned and it builds boost. AMS knows what they are talking about, maybe there was a confusion in the question you asked over the phone? Unless my car was a freak, the factory 2 step will build boost in the way i described.
Strange...
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

says right there, "when i was untuned it built boost and now im tuned and it builds boost"

you and your friend should try it again in the way i explained, and what kind of boost gauge does he have...must be reading incorrectly.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
God talking with you is so tiring. I explained what ALS is correctly and said, as AMS told me, that it can be incorporated into the launch of the 2 step so as to get the car going fast when the rpms drop after letting the clutch out. All of the information that I have stated has been factual and correct. You need to learn how to comprehend english better before you imply that I am misrepresenting things, because I have done nothing of the sort. I am not going to get into a pissing match with you over this because you are clearly not capabe of understanding what I have written so far. Stock EVOs don't build boost in neutral, my X doesn't, my STi didn't, and my friends EVO 9 doens't. Anti lag is a different thing altogether than launch control, but can be integrated into the launching process because of it's low rpm spooling characteristics. A "studder box", as AMS calls it, is an ecu tuning method to build boost in neutral for the 2 step process to allow for boost to build in neutral, which the stock ecu tuning doesn't allow for. I don't know how I could possibly be any clearer about any of this.
dude i'm not the one who always or even here misleading ...
prove me wrong any of my post here...
And the whole post is about your miss understanding.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Well, when I'm launching my car I'm in 1st gear with the clutch pressed in, the gas floored, and then clutch out. With the clutch in and gas down there was no boost in my sti untl the clutch was let out, same story with my friends evo and this is exactly what AMS and works both told me. Doesn' make any sense...
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
dude i'm not the one who always or even here misleading ...
prove me wrong any of my post here...
And the whole post is about your miss understanding.
Its not about proving you wrong, it's about you not understanding my posts because of your english comprehension problems. This whole thread is about getting to the bottom of this for all of us, not about my misunderstanding anything.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Well, when I'm launching my car I'm in 1st gear with the clutch pressed in, the gas floored, and then clutch out. With the clutch in and gas down there was no boost in my sti untl the clutch was let out, same story with my friends evo and this is exactly what AMS and works both told me. Doesn' make any sense...
Dont know much about the X's, i do not know if they come with the factory launch control built in or the STi.

Your friend with the 9, don't know what to say. If he is completely stopped, clutch depressed and in 1st gear, smash the gas peddle and you should see the boost build and hear the factory 2-step kick in at 5000 or 5500 don't remember since im tuned now. But it built boost for me when i was untuned man, so sorry don't know what to tell ya.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
yes and that is why in my first post #10 i said

"The tuned ECU 2 step is do help build boost. All my evo had it and we build it up over 10 psi.
Also it is help to do a launch easier since you dont have to look for the right RPM before you launch./ like in the old times /
Also when you tune the car actually you can tell the tuner where you want your rev limit for the 2 step.
/depends on many-thing, like whp -wtq- weight etc./

i think the factory 5500 rpm is just a rev limiter to prevent drive train damage"

and then you brought up the ALS wich is nothing to do with the 2 step ,so i said # 12:

"anti lag is more then ecu tune and doesnt keep RPM at certain level. Don't mixed the two. The two step is less damaging then the anti lag and kind of launch control. The anti-lag is not."

and then thats is the point where you start saying the als this and that. Just make sure you are remember.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Apr 22, 2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Is your car reflashed? Has it been tuned in any way? If not, then it is not building boost in neutral. I have asked AMS about this, I have asked works about this, and my X doesn't do it, my sti didn't do it, and my fiends evo 9 doesn't do it. I think that I've found the problem here. The evo comes stock with a launch control rev limiter, but it's not a 2 step. Afterreading more carefully and talking with some people I think the problem here is just a miscommunication/misrepresentation of the term 2 step. 2 steps can be programmed into the ecu via a reflash but the stock mapping on an EVO does not allow for boost buildup in neutral.
Your post may be factual but it is very misleading. Maybe the reason why you believe this is because your doing it wrong. The factory secondary rev limiter doesnt work in NEUTRAL. You have to in 1st gear for it to be activated, who launches in Neutral anyhow? Also the term "2 step" referred to on EvoM will almost always refer to the factory secondary rev limter. It comes set standard on 05's (5000) and 06's (5500) and 08's (not sure on specific RPM), it exists on 03/04's but is set higher than the actual rev limiter which defeats it.

If you'd put your car in 1st gear and then step on it, you'd find out what the rest of us already know. It makes BOOST.

The way it does this is the actual rev limiter puts load on the engine by misfiring on purpose. You can make additional boost by retarding the timing in the cells that the rev limiter functions at. 120-160kPa, note everything above 103kPa is boost.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Apr 22, 2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

There is only one way to launch, and when the car is in first, clutch in and gas mashed... no boost on my sti or my friends evo 9. Wierd. BTW though, when you have first gear selected and the clutch is pressed in you are in NEUTRAL. How could you possibly misunderstand this? I haven't launched my X yet because I don't trust the crappy stock clutch. My sti didn't have a rev limiter on it, so I guess if what you are saying is true about the rev limiter creating misfires and puting a load on the engine allowig for the boost to build, then I couldn't experience this on my sti. When I have reved my X up I haven't taken it up to the rev limiter to see if it builds boost when bouncing off the limiter. It doesn't build any on the way up to the limiter though, that's for sure.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Apr 22, 2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

yea i think i see where your being confused because your not gonna build boost by just giving it some gas and not letting it hit the rev limiter your turbo dosnet have enough time and exhaust pressure to build any boost yet, you have to hit the rev first to get the boost up and on your sti if u dont have a 2-step your just holding a constant rev and wont get anything out of it from what i know
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Well, you also need to be dumping fuel at WOT and bouncing off of it to get boost on a stock one. When you first get on the 2 step it's adviseable to ease into it to avoid high knock counts, as they can reduce your octane flag and pull timing from your whole run. It's also a good idea not to hold it for more than 3-5 seconds tops.

depress clutch
put in 1st gear
ease into WOT
I think boost will be 5-8lbs on a stock IX
preload and release clutch

Dont sidestep or dump, you'll bog and break stuff.

If you want 2 step on a STi contact me PM.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Apr 22, 2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Anti lag is all done via ecu through fuel enrichment, timing retardation, and boost build up. There is no physical/mechnical component in an anti lag setup. The 2 step (unless we are talking about 2 different things) from the factory is just an artificial rev limiter at 5k when the car is in neutral. Boost building via a studder box or anti-lag setup is a totally different parameter in the ecu, but can be used in conjunction with the factory 2 step rev limiter.
just stop man... you obviously don't know what you're talking about. some antilag setups have plumbing into the exhaust as well as an actual injector, before the turbo.

also my Evo IX built close to 7psi off the stock stationary rev limit.

Quick Reply: explanation of the 2 step?