Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

explanation of the 2 step?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
dude stop miss leading again. go and learn about anti lag.
anti lag is not for boost build up. the anti lag is for keep the boost up.
the two step works only when the car is not moving. the anti lag when the car is moving/between shifts/. the cars with anti-lag still need launch control.

also with anti lag you need different manifold etc.
start calling agin
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol i never knew anti-lag was know as the bang bang system hahaha
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silver9mr
so what im hearing from STi2EvoX is that he is saying that when my car is 2 stepping and my boost gauge is telling me that im making 10 lbs of boost that its actually not 10lbs of boost and its all my imagination lol
Is your car reflashed? Has it been tuned in any way? If not, then it is not building boost in neutral. I have asked AMS about this, I have asked works about this, and my X doesn't do it, my sti didn't do it, and my fiends evo 9 doesn't do it. I think that I've found the problem here. The evo comes stock with a launch control rev limiter, but it's not a 2 step. Afterreading more carefully and talking with some people I think the problem here is just a miscommunication/misrepresentation of the term 2 step. 2 steps can be programmed into the ecu via a reflash but the stock mapping on an EVO does not allow for boost buildup in neutral.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

yea that would make sence cuz my car is tuned but i thought i remeber seeing it building only like 5lbs when it wasent tuned but i may be wrong but its been a while since its been stock lol
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STi2EvoX,

Sorry to burst your bubble man, but the factory 2-step that is built into the 05 VIIIs and IX's do build boost. When I was un-tuned and and installed my boost gauge it would go as high as 10psi. Your friends evo 9 does and should do this...you must be a complete stop and with the clutch all the way depressed and it will build boost.

Yes it was put in to save the clutch / tranny, but it's advantage is building boost off the line. Stock or tuned doesn't matter.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
The car does not build boost until the clutch is let out. If you watch your boost gauge then you'll notice the gauge rising from negative vacuum up to 0. Going from -20 vac up to 0 is not the same as building boost. I assure you that if you look at your boost guage it will not read above 0 when in neutral. The way that the evo and sti make good 0-60 times is because of the lack of wheel spinnage compared to a rear or front wheel drive car, not because of building boost in neutral. You have to keep in mind that when the clutch is let out at 5k, once the engine sees the slightest amount of load it will start building boost rapidly. Yet again there are ecu tuning options included with many different kinds of reflashes and stand alones that will allow for boost to be built up in neutral but this puts a phenominal amount of stress on the transmission.
you are building boost because you are in gear. and also i know because i always check my gauge and i build at least 12psi before i launch.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
dude stop miss leading again. go and learn about anti lag.
anti lag is not for boost build up. the anti lag is for keep the boost up.
the two step works only when the car is not moving. the anti lag when the car is moving/between shifts/. the cars with anti-lag still need launch control.

also with anti lag you need different manifold etc.
start calling agin
You need to stop misleading people and go do som research for yourself. Anti lag is not used for maintaining higher boost an keeping it up, it is designed to allow a turbo to spool up much faster that normal at low rpms. Anti lag tuning causes the fuel mixture to be extra rich and the timing retarded so that when the car is floored at a low rpm the unburnt fuel in the turbo manifold is ignited from the heat and acts almost like a flamethrower into the turbo to spool it quicker than normally possible because of the low rpms/low volume of exhaust gases passing through the turbine wheel. What I was saying before was that the anti lag can be programmed into the launch control to start building boost in neutral like a sudder box. This info came straight from AMS and works tuning. I have asked them this over the phone and this is what they have told me.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Apr 22, 2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

little help for those who actually want to know more about anti -lag. And not to hard to read. Good for basics

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/bangbang.html
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

^ This is exactly what I just said.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

You need to stop misleading people and go do som research for yourself. Anti lag is not used for maintaining higher boost an keeping it up, it is designed to allow a turbo to spool up much faster that normal at low rpms. Anti lag tuning causes the fuel mixture to be extra rich and the timing retarded so that when the car is floored at a low rpm the unburnt fuel in the turbo manifold is ignited from the heat and acts almost like a flamethrower into the turbo to spool it quicker than normally possible because of the low rpms/low volume of exhaust gases passing through the turbine wheel. What I was saying before was that the anti lag can be programmed into the launch control to start building boost in neutral like a sudder box. This info came straight from AMS and works tuning. I have asked them this over the phone and this is what they have told me.
you said
"it is designed to allow a turbo to spool up much faster that normal at low rpms. "

and the fact is :"ALS versions can maintain a pressure of up to 1.5 bar in the inlet manifold with the throttle closed."
And this is just one of those ...

The big deal about als is keeps the turbo spooling so you will not have a pressure dropp /lag / between shifts. NOT WHEN YOU LAUNCH.
I hope you will learn how to not miss understanding things in the future. Also we are talking about two step. And the anti-lag is not that at all.
I actually used cars with als. so i'm not just hearing about them over the phone...

Last edited by Robevo RS; Apr 22, 2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

God talking with you is so tiring. I explained what ALS is correctly and said, as AMS told me, that it can be incorporated into the launch of the 2 step so as to get the car going fast when the rpms drop after letting the clutch out. All of the information that I have stated has been factual and correct. You need to learn how to comprehend english better before you imply that I am misrepresenting things, because I have done nothing of the sort. I am not going to get into a pissing match with you over this because you are clearly not capabe of understanding what I have written so far. Stock EVOs don't build boost in neutral, my X doesn't, my STi didn't, and my friends EVO 9 doens't. Anti lag is a different thing altogether than launch control, but can be integrated into the launching process because of it's low rpm spooling characteristics. A "studder box", as AMS calls it, is an ecu tuning method to build boost in neutral for the 2 step process to allow for boost to build in neutral, which the stock ecu tuning doesn't allow for. I don't know how I could possibly be any clearer about any of this.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

God talking with you is so tiring. I explained what ALS is correctly and said, as AMS told me, that it can be incorporated into the launch of the 2 step so as to get the car going fast when the rpms drop after letting the clutch out. All of the information that I have stated has been factual and correct. You need to learn how to comprehend english better before you imply that I am misrepresenting things, because I have done nothing of the sort. I am not going to get into a pissing match with you over this because you are clearly not capabe of understanding what I have written so far. Stock EVOs don't build boost in neutral, my X doesn't, my STi didn't, and my friends EVO 9 doens't. Anti lag is a different thing altogether than launch control, but can be integrated into the launching process because of it's low rpm spooling characteristics. A "studder box", as AMS calls it, is an ecu tuning method to build boost in neutral for the 2 step process to allow for boost to build in neutral, which the stock ecu tuning doesn't allow for. I don't know how I could possibly be any clearer about any of this.

Here is where i agree with you on evo 8's (05) and 9's. In NEUTRAL, they will not build boost, that is a given. The factor 2-step (launch control) whatever you want to call it does build boost, but you must be in gear (1st), complete stop, and clutch all the way in (depressed). You will build as much as 10psi, bone stock, tuned, etc... So yes you are correct in the that in neutral they don't build boost, but in gear it will. I must have mis read your statement, but for the OP, the 2 step build into the 8's and 9's does build boost off the line, in the way i just explained.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

But if you are in first and the clutch is depressed, then you are in neutral, so why would this be any different? AMS says that it doesn't do what you are describing, my sti didn't, and my friends evo 9 doesn't do this. I am not calling you a liar, but there seems to be a lot of information floating around here that is too inconsistent, and it doens't make any sense.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

this is antilag seen on my hatch
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/a...cks_157778.htm
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Quick Reply: explanation of the 2 step?