Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

HOW TO: Recover your EvoX ecu after a failed reflash.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 01:56 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
@LBReddy what planet are you on? We just plug in the openport2 usb cable and press reflash button on the screen. you do not need to replace any chips at all. All electronics since 1998 uses nand memory, i.e you can read/write as many times as you like.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 01:59 AM
Silver Sponsor

You do not even need to bench reflash the EvoX ecu anymore to recover it...

Originally Posted by Matt
if it fails during a write I leave the car on. remove usb cable shutdown ecuflash replug in usb restart ecuflash , go to options use alt flash mode. try to reflash it but it fails everytime . I then go back in to normal flash mode try to reflash the it and so far it has worked about 8 times.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, had this always been possible or something that had come about during an ecuflash Version upgrade? Reason I ask is I had a dodgy usb cable a while ago and my write hung at around 85% and eventually fell over. After changing my pants I changed the cable and (with out much hope) restarted ecuflash and started flashing again (not alt-flash) - didn't turn the car off during this time - it paused for 20 secs or so then picked up at 85% and finished and all good. Didn't think much at the time other than how lucky I was - should have posted my experience then.

All good news for us amature flashers anyway
Old Jul 25, 2014, 04:08 AM
Silver Sponsor

always been possible on all ecuflash versions.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 04:13 AM
Silver Sponsor

there are two types of reflashing available on all CAN bus vehicles since 2008 (EVOX)
1) software level reflash.. over CAN
2) firmware level reflash.. requires boot line voltage. (old skool evo7/8/9 reflash method for evoX)

1. is aka normal ecuflash (very fast)
2. is aka recovery mode reflash (slower)

some people call this bricked if you can't do 1. but really its not, because you can always do 2. normal firmware level reflash again to get the software level reflash reinstated.

Last edited by evoscan; Jul 25, 2014 at 04:16 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

In the latest beta of EcuFlash 1.44.4247, the Recovery mode flash in no longer available in the Options settings.
Does it auto detect any incomplete reflash and flash it as it should?
Also for those Ecutek or Cobb tuned ECU, do we just load a stock ROM and perform a normal flash to revert it to factory state?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by evoscan
I tried to alt-flash without pulling the ECU several times, and it never worked. The only thing that worked for me was to bench the ECU and then use alt-flash.

I wish i could provide you with more details on the error I was getting. If I have a write failure again, i will try alt-flash without benching the ECU.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:57 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by jaymik
I tried to alt-flash without pulling the ECU several times, and it never worked. The only thing that worked for me was to bench the ECU and then use alt-flash.

I wish i could provide you with more details on the error I was getting. If I have a write failure again, i will try alt-flash without benching the ECU.
yep I think the trick is to leave the key on, and do the normal reflash straight after you have attempted the alt recovery reflash.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:58 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by RS200Z
In the latest beta of EcuFlash 1.44.4247, the Recovery mode flash in no longer available in the Options settings.
Also for those Ecutek or Cobb tuned ECU, do we just load a stock ROM and perform a normal flash to revert it to factory state?
yep, it is available in v1.43.3252 but not in v1.44.4247
Old Oct 16, 2014, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wait what? So method 2 is no longer available, or is that what I'm attempting (and failing) when I select "Recovery write to ECU" from the ECU menu drop down?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

PS: The final error I'm getting right now, no matter what I do, is "unable to receive correct kwp2000 response" which I'm getting because evoscan sent me a registry change to show more debugging into. Googling that I only really see it referenced in a Subu forum.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

While on the bench recovery flash failed with 1.44.0.4316. On a lark I wiped all traces of ecuflash and drivers from my laptop and installed 1.43.0.3719 ... recovery and reflash both worked and my car is up to snuff again. No idea what the problem is with 1.44 but I've emailed tactrix (been emailing trying to troubleshoot and got this done before the west coast woke up).
Old Nov 1, 2014, 09:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Can you (or anyone) elaborate on this? Would be nice not to have to pull the ECU to recovery flash it.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by RS200Z
so just so that i have this clear...
i have a evofq360 that is still in stock form, and want to reflash to start using ecuflash.
how do i go about doing this?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 09:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To clear up some potential confusion, the bench recovery option still exists in EcuFlash. It has never been removed. Once you open any ROM for your ECU, EcuFlash will recognize that you have an applicable ROM loaded and it will make the appropriate recovery mode available. It helps eliminate confusion for people with ECUs for which that mode isn't applicable in the same way you won't see the Subaru SH boot mode recovery when you're working on your Mitsubishi. If you don't have a ROM selected, EcuFlash doesn't show any recovery options because it doesn't know what options are applicable to your ECU.

if it fails during a write I leave the car on. remove usb cable shutdown ecuflash replug in usb restart ecuflash , go to options use alt flash mode. try to reflash it but it fails everytime . I then go back in to normal flash mode try to reflash the it and so far it has worked about 8 times.
It's unlikely this will do anything if your ECU is truly bricked. If this worked to recover your ECU, it's likely that you only needed to select 'Exit Programming State' from the ECU menu in EcuFlash.

-Mike
Tactrix

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Recover your EvoX ecu after a failed reflash.