Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

editing 2-step for no lift to shift

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2009, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
editing 2-step for no lift to shift

so when i was making a valet mode yesterday for when i drop the car off for some body work i thought i'd try something out with the stationary rev limiter (aka 2 step)

background on how it works:
3 tables control its function (only when the clutch is depressed)
1) Stationary Rev Limit
  • This is the RPM the rpms are limited to when enabled; 5500 rpms default
2) Max Speed for Stationary Rev Limit
  • the car must be below this speed (in kph) for the stationary rev limiter to enable; 10 kph default
3) Stationary Rev Limit Cross Under Max Speed Enable Delay
  • This is the time after the car goes below Max Speed for Stationary Rev Limit before Stationary Rev Limit is enabled
So I changed:
  • Max Speed for Stationary Rev Limit to 200kph
  • Stationary Rev Limit Cross Under Max Speed Enable Delay to 0
what this did was change the logic such that anytime the clutch is depressed below 200kph the stationary limiter is enabled limiting the rpms to 5500 rpms which coincidentally is about the same rpms you drop to when wot shifting between gears.

using this i was able to hold 12 psi while shifting =)

drawbacks: if you have the clutch depressed your rev limited at 5500 rpms regardless of speed or gear. (if this is even a draw back)

charts are not perfectly matched up and i suck @ charting with excel so this is what you get:

1st 2 charts are lift to shift 2-3 and 2-3-4
charts 3 and 4 are NO lift to shift enabled 2-3 and 1-2-3-4

edit: the ecuflash map definitions are wrong and will need adjusted: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...vo-10-gsr.html

lift to shift 2-3 and 2-3-4

NO lift to shift enabled 2-3 and 1-2-3-4

Last edited by newcomer81; Oct 13, 2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice looking resaults
Old Oct 19, 2009, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You know I was thinking about trying this eventually but then my internal wastegate blew out my exhaust, thanks for testing this! When my car gets back to 100% I'll likely test this with a 6000 to 6500 limiter and see how it does. When at Watkins Glen there are some times you are downshifting at higher RPM's but likely going above 6500 wouldn't be desireable anyways. My only concern is if it somehow upsets the balance of the car when doing a downshift to say, 7000 rpm but I think 6500 will be enough for 99% of the situations. Since it's only limiting it when free revving it should just return to the higher RPM when the gear is engaged anyways but we'll see how it behaves.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

i'm anxious to get my red installed to try this out with that since the the stock turbo responded so well. With the stock turbo; it re-spools fast so the gain isn't as significant as others with the larger turbos will see.

rev matching while downshifting is the biggest draw back. with this on, you can't go above your set rpms. I've ran 2 autox events with this enabled and it hasn't really had an impact but road racing is defiantly going to be a different story.

ont he other hand' all the drag guys should defiantly have this enabled and set to what ever rpm they need based on their specific set up. no downshifting involved!
Old Oct 19, 2009, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

awesome find man
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Was using this for a while just for the hell of it, but I found the dramatic fuel cut to be kind of awkward. Would be much cooler to have an ignition cut NLTS.

Good find nonetheless!
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by UT_EvoX
Was using this for a while just for the hell of it, but I found the dramatic fuel cut to be kind of awkward. Would be much cooler to have an ignition cut NLTS.

Good find nonetheless!
What do you mean by dramatic fuel cut? The rev limiter should behave the same as it does for 2 step launches.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by newcomer81
What do you mean by dramatic fuel cut? The rev limiter should behave the same as it does for 2 step launches.
Usually the 2-step rev limiter is accomplished by cutting fuel intermittently to keep the engine revs at 5500 rpm. But when you're already well above 5500 rpm and the 2-step limit is initiated, a very hard fuel cut to all cylinders occurs in an attempt to drop the revs down to 5500 from 7000+. Which I perceive as pretty dramatic when I see my AFR's instantly lean out between shifts but boost still stays pegged. I personally don't like this and much prefer to have extra fuel be present between shifts to keep the combustion chambers cool.

There's nothing wrong with having a fuel-cut NLTS I suppose, but I much prefer an ignition cut version as I've used one before on another project car and it's great.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I tried this setup and got some wild backfires and odd stares from passengers when I tested this. It's possible that it works better if you are speed shifting like at the track during a quarter mile but trying it on slower shifts makes the car angry it seems.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 02:32 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You should definitely be shifting quickly to use this. This is not for around town shifting :-/

Worked pretty well for me, but it will be much better when it gets integrated as a tephramod with a load threshold. The only issue with the current setup is that you can't road race / autocross well with it because you can't rev up high enough for a downshift.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fostytou
You should definitely be shifting quickly to use this. This is not for around town shifting :-/

Worked pretty well for me, but it will be much better when it gets integrated as a tephramod with a load threshold. The only issue with the current setup is that you can't road race / autocross well with it because you can't rev up high enough for a downshift.
aye, its meant to be a hold over until tephra or others get a real nlts in place. This "hack" allows you to hold boost between upshifts which is great for street pulls & drag (or direct acceleration). having the limiter at 5500 does present a slight problem with autocrossing if you need to rev higher on fast downshifts. i ran 3 autocrosses late last season with it enabled. i adjusted my driving a bit and didn't have any issues, although i run auto-x for fun and not seriously competitive.

Last edited by newcomer81; Mar 19, 2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if i wasnt such a newb id do this. Thats really sweet great work.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

not sure why i never followed up with how this behaves with teh red but here ya go:
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:41 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
bump for an old thread. Anybody tried this lately? I'm thinking of trying it next time I go to the drag track with BeaterX
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:27 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had been using it very successfully and frequently till a completely unrelated boom a couple of months ago.

Quick Reply: editing 2-step for no lift to shift