Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

AMS EVO X dyno Tuning Results!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2008, 09:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS EVO X dyno Tuning Results!

We finally had a chance to squeeze our EVO X in on the dyno a couple days ago to get accustomed with the new software. After doing enough testing to satisfy our immense curiosity of the available maps, we were able to put up some decent results.

The modifications that are currently installed on the car are:

AMS FMIC
AMS Cat-back exhaust
AMS Upper intercooler pipe
AMS Turbo inlet/maf pipe

Just to clarify:
Stock downpipe
Stock Catalytic converter
Stock o2 housing
Stock boost control solenoids

Blue line is the second dyno run the car ever made on our dyno.
Green line is before any tuning on the same day, with the same modifications installed.
Red line is the Current state of our AMS EVO X with tuning applied and the modifications above.

Boost is about 23-24 psi and dropping to a measly 15-16 psi up top. A/F’s are in the low 11’s. All dyno runs are done with straight 93oct in the tank.

[edit w/ some sweet pics for your enjoyment ]

Last edited by Chris@AMS; Apr 28, 2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

what happened to the o2/downpipe?
Evolving Member

sweet! great job bro!
Evolved Member

Nice Chris, I didn't know what it ended up making. I tried to find a scanner last night to post up my results but the hotel didnt have one. Feel free to post mine if you want. Thanks again.

Ryan
Old Apr 26, 2008, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evokel
Yeah what happend with that ?
Old Apr 26, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Nice numbers, keep it up.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 09:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evokel
I'm sure they have been taken off so that we can work on producing them, or measuring them for something. They will make it back on to the car when we have a chance.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 09:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BlackTrack
Nice Chris, I didn't know what it ended up making. I tried to find a scanner last night to post up my results but the hotel didnt have one. Feel free to post mine if you want. Thanks again.

Ryan
Heh, one step ahead of ya!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=341677
Old Apr 26, 2008, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Need ....... to .. .... get . ... . .. . a .. .. . .. TUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNEEEE
Old Apr 27, 2008, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a few quick questions, on BlackTracks Evo you were able to hit 28 lbs but this is on 100oct which I understand, However you also said on his Evo it tapered to 19-20lbs, why woul dyour shop Evo not hold 19-20 lbs up top? I know that you cannot run 28lbs on 93 but the fuel has nothing to do with boost taper?

Also, just a dumb question, but what is up with the little loops in the green trace on the dyno chart? I thought that a dyno plot had to be a continuous oscillation as it is a measurement of output over time, a loop is equivalent to time going backwards? I know, strange question but I was just curious.

Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2008, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by USP45
I have a few quick questions, on BlackTracks Evo you were able to hit 28 lbs but this is on 100oct which I understand, However you also said on his Evo it tapered to 19-20lbs, why woul dyour shop Evo not hold 19-20 lbs up top? I know that you cannot run 28lbs on 93 but the fuel has nothing to do with boost taper?
Thanks!
Read his post:
Originally Posted by Chris@AMS
Just to clarify:
Stock downpipe
Stock Catalytic converter
Stock o2 housing
Stock boost control solenoids
Old Apr 27, 2008, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^Yes, but the stock solenoids should produce a better taper than that. On noizes car he was able to produce a repeatable smooth boost curve that was identical to the taper of the mbc. Actually, I believe it tapered by about 1 psi less than the MBC did. AMS, what are your thoughts?

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Apr 27, 2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 08:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by USP45

Also, just a dumb question, but what is up with the little loops in the green trace on the dyno chart? I thought that a dyno plot had to be a continuous oscillation as it is a measurement of output over time, a loop is equivalent to time going backwards? I know, strange question but I was just curious.

Thanks!
Boost is a measurement of the airflow that does not make it into the engine...

If you start out at a higher airflow, higher boost level, the airflow necessary to keep the boost higher will 'last longer' and keep the turbo spinning at ridiculous RPMS to keep the boost up. Typically the only cars which I have seen that hold boost are the ones that don't make any power. The only reason the boost drops off is because the turbo 'can't keep up' with the airflow of the motor at high RPMS.

When it does 'keep up' the speed of the turbo and the heat production of the compressor wheel would be something similar to running 26-28 psi at lower RPMS...

Asking this turbo, or the turbo from any other stock turbo evo in the US to hold boost all the way to redline just simply won't be efficient. After messing with this for a while, getting the turbo to hold 1 or 2 more psi (when it is very close to the limit) usually only created more heat which required the motor to run less timing... There is a balance that needs to be achieved with heat, boost, and timing. Our philosophy here doesn't rely on big boost numbers to make big power. Focus is on efficiency and repeatability.

The loops in the dyno chart are from the tach pickup freaking out at high rpms. When the car uses alot of its ignition energy, it changes the way that our tach pickup reads sometimes and in needs to interpolate some of the data to keep it consistant. Obviously the forumla is not perfect, but when you are running below 10:1 at high RPMS, I guess the fuel mixture starts to get hard to ignite .
Old Apr 28, 2008, 08:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
^Yes, but the stock solenoids should produce a better taper than that. On noizes car he was able to produce a repeatable smooth boost curve that was identical to the taper of the mbc. Actually, I believe it tapered by about 1 psi less than the MBC did. AMS, what are your thoughts?
From what I read, they are messing around with restrictor and things of that nature in their vacuum lines. Something that has been done, and proven to work here and other places around the net. I am sure that with a properly sized restrictor we can have more control over the boost. Right now the stock solenoids are maxed out on our car.

Last edited by Chris@AMS; Apr 28, 2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, that makes sense. I completely understand that just running more boost and thrashing the hell out of the air while heating it up is NOT the answer. I will take less boost equal power to more boost with super hot IAT's gettint the same output. I did not realise that the 28 psi head start is what allowed the taper to 20 lbs. I was just curious as to wheather you had found something on BlackTrack's Evo that you had not found on the shop car.

People also need to realise that the more efficient the intake and exhaust streams become then the harder it is to hold boost as it is going in/coming out easier so their is not as much blockage, The higher the VE the faster it goes through, but it also makes more power by and large which is greatness, less boost, less heat, more power and less stress on the engine/turbo.

Personally I would like to see some details on the FP Green in the X. I think that 400 whp with a quick spooling turbo sounds like a great recipe for a street car that is not hell bent on drag racing.

Quick Reply: AMS EVO X dyno Tuning Results!