Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Everything you need to know about the stock RF system.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everything you need to know about the stock RF system.

After spending the last 2 days searching, in my quest to upgrade my stereo, here is everything that you have wanted to know about the factory RF system. I am using this information so that I will be able to use the factory speakers with an aftermarket amp so they will at least last until I choose a replacement.

The information on the factory amp (2008 RF system) came from sparcomx. His thread can be found here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-amp-info.html

Old Mar 1, 2013, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where is the amp?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

It's under the drivers seat.

Whats a good amp to run on the factory system that doesn't suck like the factory one?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 01:26 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Fractur3

Whats a good amp to run on the factory system that doesn't suck like the factory one?
nothing. The OEM amp runs 8 channels, and each channel is individually crossed over. So if you hook an aftermarket amp up to those wires, wont have a crossover and it will just fizzle out. Also, each speaker is only 1ohm...so yeah you can't even hook them up. You have to replace the speakers too.

For future reference, next time just take a AA battery, and under the seat there just touch wires to each side. The corresponding speaker will buzz and you'll know which wire you've got
Old Mar 6, 2013, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fractur3

JBL? JL? makes a variable ohm amp that works pretty well.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ikt
nothing. The OEM amp runs 8 channels, and each channel is individually crossed over. So if you hook an aftermarket amp up to those wires, wont have a crossover and it will just fizzle out. Also, each speaker is only 1ohm...so yeah you can't even hook them up. You have to replace the speakers too.

For future reference, next time just take a AA battery, and under the seat there just touch wires to each side. The corresponding speaker will buzz and you'll know which wire you've got
Actually Rockford power series amps are 1ohm stable as well as other high current aftermarket systems. It's do-able but not really cost effective.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mystykalbaby
Actually Rockford power series amps are 1ohm stable as well as other high current aftermarket systems. It's do-able but not really cost effective.
Agreed. The stock speaker will work with any amp. I use to run an alpine 5 channel on stock speakers until I upgraded.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:45 PM
Cyp
Evolving Member

How about a JL XD 700/5 and a clean sweep to the factory speakers without the Fosgate upgrade?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 05:19 AM

Hi

I'm in the process of replacing the speakers (front splits and coaxil rear) in the MY13 Evo. It came with the double din headunit but I have cables sticking under the seat and in the boot for the sub. Would you say the wires under the seat lead from the the front and rear speakers? I have a 4 channel amp I would like to stick in.?

I'll try the battery test anyway as mentioned by IKT but I thought someone might have installed an aftermarket system with the new headunit.

cheers

Chris
Old Apr 14, 2013, 07:07 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mystykalbaby
right but it's 2ohm woofers and 4ohm tweeters with no crossover, so you'd have to have an external crossover as well, I guess you could wire them as a per-channel set, but you're going to get some funky ohm load on the crossover
Old Jul 24, 2013, 07:51 AM

I have an 08 gsr without the rockford fosgate option and was wondering if i were to buy the factory nav headunit (rockford included am i right?), what speakers could i put in my 4 doors that would sound good? would i have to change the wiring? thanks
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:27 AM

I need to replace my amp. Dealer wants $1,100 anywhere I can get an aftermarket that will work just as well or better?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

I have a stock for 200 bux.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 07:36 AM

I'm looking for a part number for the OEM wiring harness for the Sat Nav
Old Aug 3, 2013, 12:18 PM

If Gqracer sold his, i have one available. Just let mw know

Quick Reply: Everything you need to know about the stock RF system.