Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

WTF? Driver side speakers only work sometimes?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2009, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy WTF? Driver side speakers only work sometimes?

I am totally at a loss as to what could cause this. At first I thought it was a loose connection or something, but the weird thing is when listening to the radio all speakers work and when listening to CD's usually its just the passenger side speakers that are working (and drivers side are not working at all )???

Anyone have any ideas as to what the issue might be? I have no clue... I dont know if it matters (I dont think it should have any thing to do with it), but I recently had a SES light and had to have the dealer replace the battery since the 3 month old OEM one died on me...

I took the car to a dealer and the problem went away until I was half way to work then it started doing it again. I am thinking about replacing the entire factory system in this car, but if anyone can help figure it out that would be great
Old Jun 6, 2009, 09:04 AM

Sounds like a loose connection, but not at the speaker.
Either at the harness to the radio or in the internals.
The fact the it clears up while driving, makes it sound that way. Just my 2 cents.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Ya thats what I thought too until I put the radio on.... Both sides work almost 100% of the time when the radio is on and soon as I put in a cd I am lucky to hear the driver side speakers 10% of the time????

It makes noe sense to me at all and I have never heard of an issue like this before.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 08:52 PM

I have the same problem... only with the CD. I am supposed to to go and get it check out this week... ill tell you what comes out of it...
Old Jun 10, 2009, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

I had the same problem with CDs and not the radio. Sometimes driving over bumps would fix it for a few minutes. I replaced the head unit with an aftermarket Kenwood and haven't had any problems since. I think something comes loose in the stock head unit when playing CDs, but I'm not sure.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Well nice to know I am not the only one, but I still dont understand what the problem could be.... I dont have the $$$ Right now to get the head unit I want. I also am not to keen on taking the car to the dealer for this since I dont really see mechanics being the best peeps to look at radio issues....LOL.

farmeryean - Let me know what they tell you, I went to the dealer and they replaced my stock battery (car had to be jumped to days in a row ). And they said the speaker issue was related, but it wasn't because its still doing it....
Old Jun 11, 2009, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get it fixed by dealer before you swap in a new system, that way you can atleast have a working stock system to put back in or to sell
Old Jun 11, 2009, 02:07 PM

You're not alone. I have the exact same problem. I'm supposed to take mine in next to have it looked at.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

I think all of us are going to different reasons for the issue until Mitsu sneds out a TSB
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Any updates???? Teh Rob or farmeryea????
Old Jun 19, 2009, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Did you guys take your cars in yet????

I am soooooooooooooooo sick of this.... with the Radio it works fine then put on a CD driver side stops working...... after a little while longer I can barely hear the passenger side it gets more and more feint?!?!?!? WTF is up with this radio?!?!?!

end rant....

I am busy the next couple of weekends and have no clue when I will get a chance to take my car in, but its driving me nuts.... I love the sound of my car, but I would like the option to listen to my CD's

Last edited by neveronlineten; Jun 19, 2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 03:25 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Definitely sounds like a bad head unit. If it works with radio and not cd, you know your connections outside of the head unit are good. I'd definitely make fix it or get a new one. Personally I'd get an aftermarket head unit.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

I had the exact same problem with my X. The driver side speaker would cut out and then turn back on if I hit a bump or pothole but only with a CD playing. I took it to the dealer and explained the problem and of course when the tech drove it the problem could not be duplicated. They ended up changing the dirver side tweeter but the problem persisted. Finally they changed out the head unit and it's been working fine ever since. They never could figure out why it would do that.

My advice is definitely take it back to the dealer and get a new head unit.

Last edited by HudsonFalcon; Jun 19, 2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

no problems for me... not sure what's causing this for you guys...
Old Jun 22, 2009, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

I think its a bad resister in the head unit (maybe they are cutting corners or using the wrong size resisters...who knows). I have almost completely lost all sound when I put a CD in so I am not really worried about the problem shoing itself.... its very consistent and getting worse

Quick Reply: WTF? Driver side speakers only work sometimes?