Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

A Tale of Two 18Ks 388whp MR & 430whp GSR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
A Tale of Two 18Ks 388whp MR & 430whp GSR

Friday we had a chance to finish up 2 installs of the new Mitsubishi TF06-18K factory replacement turbo. This turbocharger was remarkable for the power it produced without sacrificing any spool. Both cars were very similar in mods, differences will be noted below. Both cars were on standard WA 92 octane.

Adam's 388whp 2012 MR

Mods-

ETS FMIC 3.5" kit
ETS Quiet exhaust
ETS Intake pipe kit
ETS catted testpipe
ETS recirc'd O2 eliminator downpipe

MHI 18K
DW65 fuel pump
Injector Dynamics ID1000

Name:  Adam2012MR18K_zps28d93395.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  103.2 KB

Keeping it fairly mild at 23psi, as this is a street car with a cat, didnt seem to affect the power potential of this car. Turning the boost up past 23 only yielded more torque, likely as a result of the restiction in the testpipe caused by the cat. A few mods more and this car could concievably make 400whp on pump and spool like stock while keeping stock cams. These pulls were done in 4th gear.

Next up was Eric's 2012 GSR which was virtually identical in the mod dept save for Fuel Injector Clinic 900cc injectors, ETS testpipe with no cat, and the ETS O2 dump. Again it is a street car that has been known to make some long pulls on those Mexican highways we all love so it was kept a little conservative on the boost level and safely rich for extended pulls. Pull 7 is in 3rd and then pull 8 is in 4th gear for comparison.

Name:  Eric2011GSR18K_zps3780b8c8.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  109.9 KB

Forced Performance has designed a turbo that can rival one of their existing turbos it would seem. No real loss in spool vs stock, more power (approaching a Green with the same mods) at less boost, really a win/win.

More info on the MHI TF06-18K from Forced Performance-

Straight out of Japan from our Friends at MHI comes a new factory upgrade for the Mitsubishi Evolution X. Very little is shared with the stock turbo this is a brand new design specifically for the EVO X.

The turbine wheel is a new TF06-07 mated to an all new billet 18KX3RC compressor wheel co-designed by Forced Performance. The compressor cover has also gotten the redesign treatment and features a 3" inlet and surge ports. The stock wastegate actuator has been ditched in favor of this new MHI high pressure 18PSI actuator. What does this mean for you? A stock frame turbocharger, designed by the best in the business, manufactured by the company that built your car, that's capable of stock like spool, and producing around 54LB a minute.
Aaron

Last edited by JohnBradley; Jan 20, 2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice. Likely the path I am going to go with the next round of power mods for my car. Hard to beat this.
The following users liked this post:
GokuSSj4 (May 30, 2016)
Old Jan 20, 2014, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This looks like its exactly what I want. Aaron, you might be seeing me again next summer for one of these and a tune!
The following users liked this post:
GokuSSj4 (May 30, 2016)
Old Jan 20, 2014, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice!

Contemplating a very similar mod path myself.

Any opinion on the outcome if cams (stage I Cosworth MX1 or stage II GSC 2 or Kelford B) were added to the equation, Aaron?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 05:57 PM

Would love to see these two duke it out on the track!
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:26 AM

So is this similar to the FP green? And will they offer this turbo with the BB upgrade? Looks impressive!
Old Jan 21, 2014, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lithe
Very nice!

Contemplating a very similar mod path myself.

Any opinion on the outcome if cams (stage I Cosworth MX1 or stage II GSC 2 or Kelford B) were added to the equation, Aaron?
I would think based on what I have seen with the Stock turbo and HTA Green that cams will only help boost low end torque and do little if nothing to help the peak power number. A car with a better powerband is still faster at the same peak hp number though. In short, yes add S1s or S2s.

Originally Posted by ademarco
So is this similar to the FP green? And will they offer this turbo with the BB upgrade? Looks impressive!
Seems to make the same power as a Green with spool identical to stock. Not sure on the BB upgrade but I would tend to think not as this sold with a Mitsu part number more or less.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:11 PM

I think ill be doing the same set up as the GSR
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
really looks like she spools much faster than the hta green. amazing
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Very nice, the MHI looks like a real nice turbo that I may have to pick up in the future.

In your opinion can the stock block reliably handle these power levels?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by lippy1306
Very nice, the MHI looks like a real nice turbo that I may have to pick up in the future.

sub for answer to
Old Jan 24, 2014, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lippy1306

Originally Posted by doom26464
sub for answer to
There is always the odd one that fails for no apparent reason but yes at this power level and torque level I am not afraid for the stock bottom end. I have made more with bigger turbo kits and they have been fine.

While I have seen cars have issues at only 340 ft lbs normally it can be tracked back to either a 3-2 shift or plain bad luck. The old "rule" that I formulated with the 4G63 of 400 ft lbs seems to be safe on the 4B11 and I have seen more for sure on the stock bottom end. At one point the ETS Drag X was making 680whp on racegas with a 67mm, so it can take abuse. Rod bolts got that one before a rod actually let go but that is because of rpm not power.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drool. Sometimes I just can't make up my mind about future goals haha but this definitely looks like a super quick spooling and awesome street turbo.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why is there credit given to Forced Performance? It's a Mitsubishi turbo... FP has nothing to do with it apart from selling them. Or is there something I'm missing?

We just installed one on an X, finishing mapping it tomorrow on a built, full bolt-on, cammed 10:1 motor... I'll post some results once done. This thread gave me even more confidence in this turbo
Old Jan 24, 2014, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Toxin
Why is there credit given to Forced Performance? It's a Mitsubishi turbo... FP has nothing to do with it apart from selling them. Or is there something I'm missing?

We just installed one on an X, finishing mapping it tomorrow on a built, full bolt-on, cammed 10:1 motor... I'll post some results once done. This thread gave me even more confidence in this turbo
More info on the MHI TF06-18K from Forced Performance-

Quote:
Straight out of Japan from our Friends at MHI comes a new factory upgrade for the Mitsubishi Evolution X. Very little is shared with the stock turbo this is a brand new design specifically for the EVO X.

The turbine wheel is a new TF06-07 mated to an all new billet 18KX3RC compressor wheel co-designed by Forced Performance. The compressor cover has also gotten the redesign treatment and features a 3" inlet and surge ports. The stock wastegate actuator has been ditched in favor of this new MHI high pressure 18PSI actuator. What does this mean for you? A stock frame turbocharger, designed by the best in the business, manufactured by the company that built your car, that's capable of stock like spool, and producing around 54LB a minute.

Quick Reply: A Tale of Two 18Ks 388whp MR & 430whp GSR