Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

FP Green 08 GSR Results

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
FP Green 08 GSR Results

I am posting this map from the other forum.

This is not my car. However, he is a member on the sister forum. I do not believe he posts here though.

Anyways I figured I would post the map here for comparison.

Note the smooth is different on the FP Green pulls than on the DOM II or FP RED pulls...

Last edited by Clipse3GT; Feb 24, 2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
very nice. I have pretty much the same set up as your first results but no cams. Im shooting for 400whp
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why the same boost for both 93 and 93/meth?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 04:54 AM
Evolving Member

+1?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Just the timing was increased. This turbo made more power with lower boost.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

So, am I reading that right? The Green is making the same power as the Red, only the Green has a much better spool?

Sign me up.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

The red has always performed much better on other fuels.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

First thing I want to thank the guys at Surgeline tuning in Portland, just like the Cobb Plano shop these guys again show how much they appreciate their customers and bent over backwards to make everything we wanted happen. I know of other shops that just give you what they want but at Surgeline they work with you and try out your suggestions. Its a first rate shop with everything on hand to get the job done.

One of the first things you will notice is that I only have to run 24-25lbs boost to make power, Joeys car with the FP Red had the same results also. Once the Cosworth MX1 amas are in there is no need to run high boost. The cams open the airflow so perfectly that you no longer have to force it in so your also not creating higher air temps so more power. I looked at all the cam options for a long time and read all the data I could find, truly I think I found the winner with these.

My car now feels like an N/A car, the power is always there and just keeps pulling whenever you mash the throttle. Not a blip of knock anywhere to be seen and drives like a dream. When we first got to the shop you could tell they had some serious performance background. While we were there we saw 6 different GTR's (2 of the Hennesy's) and all bad ***. A ton of Subies and nearly all were still sporting their #'s from the race track. I hope to be posting tons of pics and some video soon

So it took some tweaking and various MIVEC settings to find the perfect spool and top end power. I think we managed to find a happy medium with the Cosworth MX1 cams. This turbo likes lean and low boost for making the most power effectively.

Dyno #1 is on 93 pump gas and #2 is 90% Meth

So mod list;

FP Green P&P
Cosworth MX1 cams, springs, and 1.3mm head gasket.
AGP IC, LICP, UICP, and CAI Intake.
Devils own Meth kit (#2 Dyno) 7 GPH nozzle
ATP downpipe & 3" cat back with test pipe
Forge WGA w/ Red spring
Perrin 3 port ECBS
Perrin BOV (Held like a Rockstar with no issues)
Cobb AP tuned with ATR

"Ignore the ugly boost curve its my fault we got focused on rough power vs being clean for now, also the smoothing is different between the dynos."

#1 93 pump 24-25psi
409WHP 352WTQ

#2 90% Meth 24-25psi w/ increased timing (Pressure didn't make power, with stock cams I'm sure it would be different.)
429WHP 366WTQ

93 Pump vs Dom 2.0 93 pump (Dom mods = Dom 2.0 Turbo, Stage 1 Kelford Cams, Perrin FMIC, AMS Downpipe, Speedcircuit Testpipe, Perrin Catback, Nisei, UICP/LICP/Tubo Inlet, DW 1000 Injectors.)

Last edited by hollywood_X; Mar 2, 2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

This is it for the Green we pushed it to its limits, you may be able to grab more torque but as far as power up top it made more on less boost than it did with higher boost. My original tune was 28psi and we were able to match that power with more MIVEC and less boost. The tuner Tim Bailey that was doing this at Surgeline (Cobb facility in Portland) is a wizard at finding the sweet spot for power. We tried high boost, low boost, aggressive MIVEC and tame MIVEC, and various timing. We came to a happy medium after awhile playing with everything. The car was on the dyno all day and did 50 or more pulls.

This turbo like it lean, and if you heat it up by pulling through the gears it makes more power. At one point Tim pulled 1st through 4th and made about 15 more horse power just because the turbo was hot so when racing through the gears it will be putting down more power.
We also noticed whenever the fuel up top dipped into the 10's we got knock and lost power but when it was leaned back out into the 11's no knock and pretty good gains.

Also take into consideration that this is a Mustang dyno and our cars are about 240whp 240wtq stock on it. Also a stock GTR puts down 430whp and 430wtq on it as well. So when making comparisons look at the % in gains from stock.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 08:31 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i see its noted that the fp green pulls were in 4th gear...

can you confirm that the other pulls were in 4th also?

Id prefer to see the actual charts and not what is coming out of the dynodatabase, as its not the mustang chart...

good results though!

also, the last plot with the dom 2 and green looks like drastically different mods, different cams, in each of the overlays..

cb

Last edited by CBRD; Feb 25, 2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
i see its noted that the fp green pulls were in 4th gear...

can you confirm that the other pulls were in 4th also?

Id prefer to see the actual charts and not what is coming out of the dynodatabase, as its not the mustang chart...

good results though!

also, the last plot with the dom 2 and green looks like drastically different mods, different cams, in each of the overlays..

cb
Yes we checked with Plano, thats why we did mine in 4th. The first night when we finished I noticed all my pulls had been in 3rd and my spool, was way off compared to others. THats when we checked and sure enough they were 4th so we strapped mine back down and went again. As far as the dyno data base vs the Mustang sheets I'm not exactly sure of what your looking for there since the #'s are the same. This just makes for a more friendly read and better overlay.

As far as drastically different mods, what exactly are you referring to? If you mean how much more I have listed compared to him you'll see just above the chart I listed his other mods. We are pretty comparable except for the Meth, hence the reason I compare him to my pump gas only.

Last edited by hollywood_X; Feb 25, 2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^mods aren't too different, but the MX1 cams will pick up quite a bit over the kelford stage 1's i would think. I honestly have never seen a reason to do the stage 1's, the mX1's have shown no losses down low that i have seen.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for chiming in Hollywood.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:11 PM
Former Sponsor

So whats the verdict here the green is better then red if 400 whp is the goal? I thought the red was the more powerful turbo and doesn't seem worth it to go through all the installation with the weaker green turbo. also seems like each turbo had different mods, I'm not even sure there is a comparo here. I'm not bashing, just want to know the main differences between the 3 turbos. Anyone want to spend a week installing and dynoing all 3 on the same mods
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by strocse
So whats the verdict here the green is better then red if 400 whp is the goal? I thought the red was the more powerful turbo and doesn't seem worth it to go through all the installation with the weaker green turbo. also seems like each turbo had different mods, I'm not even sure there is a comparo here. I'm not bashing, just want to know the main differences between the 3 turbos. Anyone want to spend a week installing and dynoing all 3 on the same mods
I had the Red on my car before installing the Green and I love both turbos, the Red actually scared the hell out of me because it just felt like @ 4000rpm God reached down and tossed the car forward. Of course I was also running 30psi of boost and have a lead foot. Robert at FP gave me an option of trading it for a Green and felt like it matched my needs more. (Great company to deal with)

So he sent me the Green and I started tweaking the tuning to find the sweet spot. With it on pump gas my car is never lacking for power in any gear. Its a lot like being in a vette or other powerful N/A car with power on hand all the time. No real power band to speak of its just there all the time. The Red like other bigger turbos just has that point where it snaps you back in the seat and all you can think is "Diff don't snap on me now".

I'm old now and don't need that huge power feeling anymore, 400whp is just what I was looking for and having it at 24psi of boost is a good feeling.

Quick Reply: FP Green 08 GSR Results