Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Evo 10 MR + Dom 2.0 + Kelford cams

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:06 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 10 MR + Dom 2.0 + Kelford cams

This Evo 10 MR came back in after getting tuned last time with stock cams and UR High Flow cat. You can see that tune here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-0-91-oct.html

Today he had us install Kelford Evo 10 cams, springs and headstuds. We also swapped out the UR high flow cat for a test pipe.

2008 Evo MR SST

Mods:

Ultimate Racing Downpipe
Test pipe
Buschur Catback
BlaqOps Progressive Double Pumper kit(MAF controlled)
DW 1000cc injectors
AEM Intake
ETS FMIC
Upper IC pipes
Blouch Dominator 2.0 stock appearing turbo
Kelford 214-B 270/262 cams
GST 3 port boost solenoid
GST Custom dyno tune
91 oct
24.5psi

The cams woke this MR up!

+26 whp / +34 wtq peak gains

359 whp / 316 wtq

Same boost as before, E85 next!

Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

Nice numbers! Wish my car was running. Hope to do cams, Might do the Kelfords, but something is drawing me to the BC Cams (I know they sucked on the 8-9's). Looks like the Kelfords make great power, and really help the TQ!

Congrats Javier! Bet it feels awesome! Booo000sssSStttTTT!!!

Last edited by HR2L; Jan 15, 2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

I'm curious how much was due to the hfc. Maybe 10?

Originally Posted by HR2L
something is drawing me to the BC Cams (I know they sucked on the 8-9's).
I know MAP is putting them into their shop MR. It'd be temping to use their springs/retainers rather than the Cosworth that I ordered...quite a bit less expensive.

Last edited by mlomker; Jan 16, 2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Might do the Kelfords, but something is drawing me to the BC Cams (I know they sucked on the 8-9's).
BC cams also suck on SR20s. IMO, you get what you pay for. I'd personally stick with either the Kelfords or Cosworths.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

I'm sure the test pipe is helping achieve the newer numbers as well. Looks sick though!
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Nice numbers! Wish my car was running. Hope to do cams, Might do the Kelfords, but something is drawing me to the BC Cams (I know they sucked on the 8-9's). Looks like the Kelfords make great power, and really help the TQ!

Congrats Javier! Bet it feels awesome! Booo000sssSStttTTT!!!
Thanks man.. yes it feels great. I was really impressed by the gains throughout the power band with these cams. As a bonus the idle is great... very happy and would highly recommend these to anyone looking for cams running a dom its a great combo.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

wow! that kind of power on an MR must be truly sweet, especially when in the . . . is it Supersports mode?
Old Jan 16, 2010, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoxkrazy
wow! that kind of power on an MR must be truly sweet, especially when in the . . . is it Supersports mode?
Its even sweeter when this type of power/numbers are made on the dyno it was made on!

This thread makes me want cams now!

Decisions...Decisions...Decisions...
Old Jan 18, 2010, 08:22 AM

Wow, That thing made power!
Old Jan 18, 2010, 08:38 AM
Account Disabled

Them kelford really wake it up. But with the upgraded turbo and lots of mods, that pretty low on power . I assume this MR make around 400whp , 350wtg on a dynojet. Anyway, that is a nice car, setup u got there op.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 08:40 AM
Account Disabled

or maybe that 91 pump in cali really suck.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

that is not bad at all.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Sweet man!

Vids of a few pulls?
Old Jan 19, 2010, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Some comments about the car and cams after driving the car for a couple of days:

Pros: The power is amazing. The numbers (peak gains) don't really do justice to the reality... the area under the curve is so much larger, spool is better, and as a result the car feels SO much stronger it's really unbelievable. The idle is great, the cams don't sound nearly as aggressive as they are.

Cons: Normal-Auto mode is not a happy camper. It shifts too early now and the result is what appears to be/feels like compressor surge if you are accelerating at even a modest rate. Sport fixes the problem if the car is warm, but when cold it seems like Sport keeps the RPMs pretty low too. So, the only thing to do is manual mode. If I keep the car above 3,000rpms, the shifts are smooth and the car will happily accelerate as fast as you want to push it. Any lower than that and I risk surge in the higher gears. This is something that you would have to deal with in a manual car anyways with these mods I imagine... it's just a little annoying for an MR owner since you're used to being able to put the car into "camry mode" with normal-auto to save gas.

That's the *only* downside I've found so far. Tranmission is doing fine so far, but the SSP cooler and deep pan will be going in soon as well as a temp gauge to make sure things stay safe. I am still on the stock clutches and will continue to be until SSP has released a kit that addresses the clamping pressure as well as the clutch life.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 03:51 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by lodifreefly
Some comments about the car and cams after driving the car for a couple of days:

Pros: The power is amazing. The numbers (peak gains) don't really do justice to the reality... the area under the curve is so much larger, spool is better, and as a result the car feels SO much stronger it's really unbelievable. The idle is great, the cams don't sound nearly as aggressive as they are.

Cons: Normal-Auto mode is not a happy camper. It shifts too early now and the result is what appears to be/feels like compressor surge if you are accelerating at even a modest rate. Sport fixes the problem if the car is warm, but when cold it seems like Sport keeps the RPMs pretty low too. So, the only thing to do is manual mode. If I keep the car above 3,000rpms, the shifts are smooth and the car will happily accelerate as fast as you want to push it. Any lower than that and I risk surge in the higher gears. This is something that you would have to deal with in a manual car anyways with these mods I imagine... it's just a little annoying for an MR owner since you're used to being able to put the car into "camry mode" with normal-auto to save gas.

That's the *only* downside I've found so far. Tranmission is doing fine so far, but the SSP cooler and deep pan will be going in soon as well as a temp gauge to make sure things stay safe. I am still on the stock clutches and will continue to be until SSP has released a kit that addresses the clamping pressure as well as the clutch life.
We can work on that I believe. The SST tables are still in beta so there is still more to learn with them. Let's set up a date to go through the car some more. Glad you are happy with the power, now let's get it smoother in "camry mode".

- Bryan

Quick Reply: Evo 10 MR + Dom 2.0 + Kelford cams