Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

XRims Project Evo (430 hp / 435 lb-ft)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2009, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XRims Project Evo (430 hp / 435 lb-ft)

I want to first start off by thanking Evolutionm.net and all its users, this website has been a great resource for me to research and design the purpose and goal of our Evolution X project vehicle. Being arguably one of the most competent chassis on the market, I wanted to double this car's power while retaining reliability & streetability. All else will remain stock, we are based in Montreal and the factory suspension's travel and dampening settings are ideal for our environment. The following represents the parts list that DGMotors and I agreed would be needed for the project. Thanks to all manufacturers who helped with logistics, expertise and financials.

Supporting Manufacturers / Distributors (in alphabetical order)

AMS

(Clutch M/C Reinforcement Ring - OEM Throw-out bearing)
Forced Performance
(FP Green Turbo)
Buschur Racing
(Cross-Flow Quiet Catback Exhaust)
Exedy
(Twin Disc HD Clutch with Chromoly Flywheel)
GrimmSpeed
(Electronic Boost Control Solenoid - 3 Port)
Konig Wheels
(18x9 Evo X specific Gloss Black Zero's with Red Stripe)
Prosport
(Wideband 52mm Premium Kit - 52mm Digital Electric Boost Gauge)
SSP
(Upgraded Clutch Master Cylinder)
TTP-Engineering
(Kelford 214B Stage 2 Cams with uprated Valve Springs)
Ultimate Racing
(Intake - FMIC - UICP - LICP - 800cc Injectors - Walbro 255 Fuel Pump - F/P Install Kit - Fuel Filter Kit - Long o2 Eliminator Downpipe - Metal Substrate High Flow Cat)
Wheeldude
(18x9.5 Rota Grid Hyper Black - ET20)
XPEL
(Headlamp and Fog Lamp Protection Kit)

Supporting Builder / Tuner

Sean Ivey
Ivey Technologies

Previous builder/tuner: DG Motors, tuned by Charlie Asch

Results

Baseline - 217 hp / 230 lb/ft
Tuned - 430 hp / 435 lb-ft
**All tuning performed on Petro-Canada 94 Octane fuel**

Videos

How-To: Evo X U-Turn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irIuqL_yDyg

Update (August 3rd, 2010)
The last six months have been a disaster for the Evo, and I'm starting to think that this car is cursed. To name a few incidents, a tow truck made over $4000 of cosmetic damage to the vehicle for which I had to sue to finally recover the amount. My dealership also reflashed an ecm update over my previous custom tune, even though they knew that the computer was off limits due to modifications.

For the past couple of months, I have been troubleshooting to figure out why the car has been running rich. Plugs have been swapped, cels checked, o2 sensors replaced, new ignition coils, new wideband and more. I was recently down for a tune with Sean Ivey and although he was able to make decent power considering the weather conditions, the car would just not cooperate when idling/cruising. We're talking 12-13afr's @ idle/cruise and 10-11's @ full throttle. Another disappointment lies in the max power which was produced, which hints at an abnormality in my previous DG Motors dyno testing. Before making any type of statements or accusations, I prefer getting the Evo healthy again and having Sean make some additional pulls on the Dynojet.

Sean was definitely stumped regarding the car, and requested to have it down in Jersey a couple of days for troubleshooting. I am scheduled to spend some time with him next week and hopefully we'll be able to isolate the issue. We suspect that one or more of the injectors may be leaking, therefore we will be swapping and monitoring.

To make matters worse, my clutch has started to slip and has been getting progressively worse over the past couple of weeks. Being an Exedy Twin Disc HD with approximately 10,000 miles of low to moderate usage, I strongly doubt that it has been fried. I suspect an abnormality with the OEM master cylinder, and SSP has provided their upgraded version 2 full metallic master cylinder for testing. Wil at Ivey's will be taking care of the clutch work while I am down, and I will keep you posted since this issue will surely affect quite a few on the boards.

Update (August 25th, 2010)
Once the clutch was pulled it was easy to notice that the disc was extremely used and at the end of it's life cycle (see attached picture, new disc on top and used on bottom). The new Exedy Twin-Disc HD was installed and along with SSP's new master cylinder piece, all of our transmission/clutch related issues disappeared. The gears were now easy to select and the clutch was holding throughout the torque and power curves. It is very conceivable that the OEM master cylinder was abnormal and causing the clutch to not fully disengage, thus making gears difficult to select and prematurely wearing our Exedy twin-disc.

If I remember correctly, Sean was then able to make 387hp on the dyno. Although this number is considerably less than what was "supposedly" achieved on DG's dyno dynamics, the car runs much smoother. We were able to get the AFR's quite close to stoich, and the car feels better in regards to driveability and fuel management. The new FIC injectors definitely corrected some issues that seemed to be haunting us when running the Ultimate Racing injectors.

I will surely try another few passes at the dragstrip shortly, so that we may get an idea as to new vs. previous power. I definitely want to give the new clutch some time to be completely broken in before submitting it to that kind of abuse.

Special thanks to:
Exedy Clutch Corporation
SSP (South Side Performance)
Fuel Injector Clinic (FIC)
and the entire crew at Ivey Technologies!

Update (January 22nd, 2011)
We had bad luck on Monday when SSP's clutch master cylinder failed on us, seems like the seals gave way which led to a complete loss in hydraulic pressure. After talking with Kris at SSP, he stated that he had seen a few of his V2 units experience this problem. This led him to develop V3 which is supposed to have corrected the friction issues experienced by the internal seals. He quickly offered to ship out his improved cylinder and we received it the next day! Although an unfortunate event, his compassion and service level was excellent.

We installed the new cylinder on Thursday and so far everything seems to be holding up fine. We have shipped our old unit back to SSP for analysis and will be posting an update once Kris has examined it. I'll also keep everyone posted on the reliability of this new V3 unit. For the moment, the Evo is back to life and tearing up pavement wherever it roams!

Update (February 16th, 2011)
SSP's V3 Clutch Master Cylinder is holding up great. Kris advised us not to pamper it, that it was built to last. But the saga continues....

The timing chain on the car has loosened and timing went terribly wrong. We are going to be doing a leak test this week to assess if there is any major damage. Mitsubishi has told me that they have had a few cases of this happening, and the timing chain is supposedly under investigation by corporate. Our car has just around 40,000kms. This may have been the reason why we were never able to get the car running just right, the camshafts were obviously out of alignment and fine tuning was practically impossible. Will keep everyone posted on developments.

A special thanks to Eric from EB Tuning who has been a huge help in helping us tune the vehicle and troubleshoot our issues. I highly recommend his services to anyone who requires Mitsubishi tuning in and around Montreal. He can be reached at Eric@ebtuning.com

Update (April, 2011)
We have replaced the valves, timing chain, oil pump chain and all associated hardware and seals. While we had the head off the engine, we decided to swap turbos since the Blouch unit was proving to surge much more than expected. In keeping with our goal of maximum streetability, we were seeking a unit which would operate virtually identically to the stock one. Forced Performance sent us their "FP Green" unit, so we proceeded to bolting it into place before reassembling the head.

The response and spool of our new FP Green is simply incredible. There is practically no lag, and maximum boost creeps in just a few hundred rpm's higher than stock. It is definitely not a high output turbine (those seeking huge improvements in top end should consider Forced Performance's Red), but for daily driving without any trade-offs in driveability this is the ideal bolt-on solution.

Update (June, 2011)
As most of you already know, our Mitsubishi Evo X's have had their share of paint issues. Only 6months after our Evo was purchased, the paint chipping issue had grown into a very serious one which needed to be dealt with. We decided to send the vehicle to "John Scotti Automotive" for a full repaint, they are Montreal's Lamborghini and exotics retailer and operate one of the best paint shops in the area. Rally Red had always deceived us with its fuchsia reflections, so we chose to have it sprayed in GM's "Claret Red Metallic" (as seen on the ZR1 and other models). This color was similar enough to Rally Red to justify not painting the door wells and engine bay, but displayed a much deeper red tinting and beautiful gold flaking. The result was absolutely stunning, giving our Evo X a truly showcar appearance!
Attached Thumbnails XRims Project Evo (430 hp / 435 lb-ft)-evo-x-dyno-after-resized.jpg   XRims Project Evo (430 hp / 435 lb-ft)-dyno.jpg   XRims Project Evo (430 hp / 435 lb-ft)-img_0437-small.jpg   XRims Project Evo (430 hp / 435 lb-ft)-timeslip.jpg   XRims Project Evo (430 hp / 435 lb-ft)-timeslip-after.jpg  

Last edited by XRims; Nov 29, 2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Christ that peak torque is sweet. Nice build.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Excellent results Jordan. I bet it was a blast to drive on your journey back to Canada. I can't imagine how serious your setup feels on the street. It was nice meeting you at the shop on Monday. To DG, you guys are simply kickin ***. Keep up the world class efforts, you guys are 2nd to none.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

I assume this is with the new correction factor?
Great numbers either way!

Junior
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

very nice!
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:26 PM

Nice #'s. I would love to have that same setup in my Evo X MR but I'm afraid everything in the SST-Trans from the flywheel back will get pissed off.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Another reason I would rock the Dom
Old Aug 20, 2009, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice numbers, bet it hauls ***. Do you have a boost graph? I am interested to see the taper.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:16 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad we could help with your project. Sounds like you are happy.

All the best,
TTP
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:55 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by JuniorAWD

Junior
stop hating u and your facts just face it your dyno reads higher then d.g motors bet u anything whatever your cars make over there will be like 30 less whp..
Old Aug 21, 2009, 01:17 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the kind words everyone. When it came time to dyno the car, I could feel everyone cheering for me. Definitely lots of enthusiasts and good vibes in this shop!

Murlo26, Pete probably has the graph so I'll let him chime in...

I forgot to mention that I brought down Petro-Canada 94 octane fuel for tuning. This may have generated some benefit, but I have no way to quantify if and to what degree it affected final peak figures.

Original thread updated.

Last edited by XRims; Aug 21, 2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 01:46 AM
Evolving Member

Insane numbers and still on pump!!! I smell meth soon and more boost! Charlie keeps on sprinkling some **** on these cars cuz they perform like magic! I can imagine the way the car pulls good luck with it...
Old Aug 21, 2009, 05:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JuniorAWD

Junior
Thank Junior, nope this was on a 1.008 CF

In reality, this car made 15whp and 40 wtq more than our own car. The only real difference between the two cars are the new kelford stg 2 cams compared to our cosworth mx1's. These more aggressive cams def. keep the power curve rising. Also the petro 94 Octane gave some slight help as well.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 05:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by murlo26
Nice numbers, bet it hauls ***. Do you have a boost graph? I am interested to see the taper.
Boost hits a peak of 28/29psi and tapers to 23/24 by 7,000. I don't have a boost plot for the final pulls.

Last edited by DG Motors; Aug 21, 2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 05:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by XRims
Thanks for the kind words everyone. When it came time to dyno the car, I could feel everyone cheering for me. Definitely lots of enthusiasts and good vibes in this shop!

Murlo26, Pete probably has the graph so I'll let him chime in...

I forgot to mention that I brought down Petro-Canada 94 octane fuel for tuning. This may have generated some benefit, but I have no way to quantify if and to what degree it affected final peak figures.

Original thread updated.
Hey Jordan, I knew from the day we spoke on the phone this project was going to be a great turn out. Not to mention you took care of us all 3 days with lunch, plenty of beer for after hours, and also bought other people lunch/dinner that were just hanging out! You took care of the whole DG Community, your a true stand up guy man and we had a blast working on your evo. We all wish you the best of luck, and take it easy on those drifts! I think It's time for new tires!

Quick Reply: XRims Project Evo (430 hp / 435 lb-ft)