Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Factory Suspention Specs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2004, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Suspention Specs

NEED TO KNOW:
factory specs of camber/tow/and whatever else an alignment shop could screw up!

STORY:
ok, so i got my car aligned the other day and told them to make sure the camber and everything was tuned to mitsubishi specs because of an accident that i had gotten in over the winter. i picked up my car on thursday and had a pretty decent drive home untill i figured i'd see if this thing hugs the road when taking a fast turn like it used to. well... when i tried to take the turn at around 20 - 25 MPH the rear end slipped out and i almost hit the curb. when i got home i called the place that worked on the car and told them about what had happened. they of course said i'm wrong and they're right like every other car place around here... BTW!! i looked at the recept this past weekend and at the top of it is said "alignment for mitsubishi lancer 03"... so maybe they set it up for a lancer instead of an EVO. anyway, all i need to know is the factory specs of our alignment/camber/tow/and whatever else there is. any help is always appreciated!

Thanks
Ben
Old Jun 9, 2004, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Search. I know its been posted many times.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

This has been posted many times but here's what I run:

Front (L+R)
Camber: -1.6 deg
Toe: +0.0625" total

Rear (L+R)
Camber: -0.5 deg
Toe: 0"

I have no idea that the caster angle should be but you should have that checked if the car was in an accident to make sure it's the same on each side. Also you should have the thrust line checked. The angle of this line should be zero degrees. This will ensure the car drives straight when the wheel is centered.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Factory alignment spec calls for zero toe front, 3mm rear toe-in, -1 degree rear camber, and -1 or -2 degrees front camber (depending on eccentric bolt).

Rear toe is the alignment setting that would have the most dramatic effect toward making the back end slide out on you. You can check your rear toe visually. Park the car on a flat surface with the front wheels pointed straight ahead. Lay down or kneel behind the car with your eye at the same height as the center of the wheels. Look forward on one side of the car (using only one eye for accuracy) such that your line of sight lines up the forward sidewall and the rearward sidewall of the rear tire. Repeat on the other side. With 3mm rear toe-in, you should be able to see a significant amount (like about 1/2 inch) of the front tires.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 08:28 AM
Account Disabled

Hmmm...maybe this is why I'm getting alot of road feedback on the highway. It looks like I have more camber in the rear...and almost none in the front!
Old Jun 9, 2004, 11:41 AM

alright, first thanks for everyones help with this. i did search for factory specs but i couldn't find it. sorry about that. but i'm printing out what you guys have told me and i'm going to the alignment shop now. i'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks again
Ben
Old Jun 9, 2004, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

hmmmmm.....since my car was new if i get on the gas and whip it around a turn, the *** end will kick out like a rear wheel drive car......much more controlled though so i didnt think there was a problem....
some other evo owners are very surprised that the *** end kicks out but i thought it was normal....????
Old Jun 10, 2004, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by evomind
hmmmmm.....since my car was new if i get on the gas and whip it around a turn, the *** end will kick out like a rear wheel drive car......much more controlled though so i didnt think there was a problem....
some other evo owners are very surprised that the *** end kicks out but i thought it was normal....????
i don't think i was on the gas real hard tho... but mine did that too if i got on it around a sharp turn.

Ben