Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
View Poll Results: Are you on the stock tires or not?
Yes, I\'m still on the stockers
37.96%
No, In not crazy and bought other tires
62.04%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

How many people are still using Advans in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2004, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by birdman5040

Got the HTR 2's myself. Why get snow tires when on a nice winter day I will chew them right up.
I am about to sell my winter beater and will be driving my EVO all the time. So even though I think the stock Advans are ok in the snow I would rather just spring for winter / all season tires.

Are you referring to Sumitomo HTR+ (Ultra High Performance All-Season) ?
Old Feb 2, 2004, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Re: How many people are still using Advans in the snow?

Originally posted by Hooptie157
Just like the topic says. I wanna know who going through the winter on the stock tires and whos not.
Stock Advans + Snow/Sleet = death
Old Feb 2, 2004, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

So far it seems contis are the most popular "winter" tires, even if they aren't really winter tires per se. They do well in the snow, pretty good in the dry, very good in the wet, but they are still very iffy on ice. I think if I lived any further north I'd have to go with pure winter tires for the season.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

The conti IMO are the best bang for the buck. I love mine only spent about 450 on them . Even though they are all season ,they are champs in the snow.Tried and tested by me
Old Feb 3, 2004, 03:41 PM

Did you guys have these winter/all season tires put on your stock rims, or did you buy an extra set? And if you did buy the extra set, did you go with 17x8, or a narrower wheel (more snow friendly)? Thanks for the input... I'll be picking up my Evo tomorrow!!
Old Feb 4, 2004, 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

I personally got 17x7 RS5 wheels to mount the Contis on for winter use. Stock P235/45R-17 tire size fits very well on the wheel. You really can’t tell the wheel is an inch narrower. I was very concerned about the size matching but it’s really quite negligible.

If you have a place to keep your stock wheels and tires during the cold season it's a lot more simple to just get wheels and tires to swap them out twice a year.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 04:01 PM

I was going to try to see it through on the stock tires then I decide to buy some winter tires after reading some of the horror stories in this thread.

I was pushed for time so I didn't do much shopping around + it was late in the season so not much real choice. In the end I found some "fulda kristall rotego"s in the right size at VIP. I was a bit suspicious as I'd never heard of fulda before and they were very cheap. I did some research and they're from Austria (where it snows a lot) and they are owned by Dunlop. (In fact these tires seem to be the same as Dunlop Eagle UltraGrip?). They were something like $99 each.

In fact they've been fantastic. Great traction/good braking on both snow and ice, no scary moments yet (at least no scary moments I didn't deliberatley cause ). Pretty good in the dry too. I've been really pleased with them and will buy them again, especially at that price.

I considered buying some other rims to fit them too, but I've got other plans for my spare cash right now + I might buy some 18s when things warm up. I'll use up the standard tires first then we'll see. Maybe I'll keep the stock rims for the winter?
Old Feb 4, 2004, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

I just bought some Pirelli Pzero Nero's and the dry traction is awesome. Went tooling up in the mountains, just after it had snowed 12" or so and to my surprise these things are great in the snow and ice too, leaps and bound better than the Advans. spent 650 at america's tire co, and have lifetime road hazard incl. im happy.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by carpe135
Did you guys have these winter/all season tires put on your stock rims, or did you buy an extra set? And if you did buy the extra set, did you go with 17x8, or a narrower wheel (more snow friendly)?
I got a dedicated set of rims - much easier than switching tires every season. With dedicated rims, you can do the swap yourself. Plus, you don't have to take the chance each time of some tire mount monkey scratching up your rims because they don't carefully do the job.

My rims are 17x7.5 ASA KA3's from Tire Rack - but they end up using the same tire size as stock. I believe Tire Rack now offers a slightly smaller width tire for the EVO, but being this late in the season they might not have any in stock.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 07:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by EJEvo

I believe Tire Rack now offers a slightly smaller width tire for the EVO, but being this late in the season they might not have any in stock.
Correct and correct We did offer a 215/50-17 but they are long gone...
Old Feb 5, 2004, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Neal@tirerack.

Correct and correct We did offer a 215/50-17 but they are long gone...
Neal ... I am selling my winter beater and will be driving my EVO daily now.

Would you recomend all sesaon tires or snow tires ? It seems to me that many people are having good success with the Sumitomo all seasons for winter / snow conditions.

What would you recomend for an all season tire / wheel combo ?
Old Feb 5, 2004, 08:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the question It really depends on the amount of snow you get in your area. This far into the season, I am completely out of snow tires in both the stock and smaller size. I would suggest the Sumitomo or Continental Extreme Contact. Many many EVO owners have had great success with them. The AWD really really helps.

So, best scenario.. purchase winter tires. They will give you the best winter traction
Alt scenario (and most likely this time of the season).. purchase a good all season based tire, like those above, and still get through the last couple of winter months. I don't think you would be disappointed with either choice
Old Feb 5, 2004, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Seems like the Sumos are the way to go ..... what kind of deal can I get for 4 ?
Old Feb 5, 2004, 08:39 AM
Former Sponsor

PM me your zip code and I will give you a delivered price
Old Feb 8, 2004, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

i got sumitomo hr+ from tireracks.. and it was excellent in the snow... but to be honest if you behave and drive it like a grandpa in the snow, you can manage... just give yourself plenty of room between any cars, walls, edge of road and sidewalks... even if you slip alittle, you will regain grip quick..