Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best Coils under 1500

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Coils under 1500

Hey, looking for some advise. I am a track enthusiast and switched over from a rwd platform to play with an evo. Not looking to spend a fortune on suspension so if anyone could recommend a good match for the evo under or around 1500, new, used doesnt matter. Car will be running 255 or 265 nt01s most likely. Anything i should stay away from? Thanks
Old Dec 7, 2010, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

lots of options out there. i am a fan or fortune auto coils, good quality, great customer service, reasonable price.

tein flex's are also nice, a little more expensive. other than that i would look for a high quality coil set up (kws or the sort) used on here for around that price range. gl with the search!
Old Dec 8, 2010, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Bump up another $300-400 and look at GTWorx and RobiSpec KW3s with the correct rates under them.

Used -- hunt the FS area. Friend picked up both KW3 and Ohlins at crazy prices. Have to be patient and search daily.

I'd stay away from the cheaper coilovers. Valving is all over the place. Go with one that has known data and great construction.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 04:32 AM
Evolving Member

ive got a set of stance GR+ and love them!!! bout 1350 shipped new
Old Dec 8, 2010, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Would be worth asking also, how much track experience do you have? I am a big fan of learning a car from the stock up. OEM - Swifts/GTWorx/Robi springs with MR/HD Bilsteins, then add in r-comps, then go to full track coils.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Get ahold of AMR. Might be $100 or so more than that, but soooooo worth it.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 07:39 AM

thanks for all the input... my track experience is high, used to spend every weekend on the track in my S. I dont drive stock cars on the track and I dont typically drive my cars to the track. I have having the risk of not being able to drive home and i hate pounding my suspension over potholes and whatever else the street throws your way. I will post the build thread once i get all the parts I want...
Old Dec 8, 2010, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fortune Auto seem to have pretty decent valving according to their dyno charts on their website, pretty consistent graphs. They're not too expensive either, their 500 series is about 1400, next is 2000 and then 3000.

I also suggest looking in the For Sale section as others mentioned. Stay away from Megan, K Sport, BC, etc.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

A used set of Bilstein PSS9's go for around $1000 and can be rebuild/revalved by Bilstein in CA. to any specs for about $70 a piece.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

amr coilovers, lifetime warranty and can be built to spec.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:12 PM

ummm...... I did some research on AMR, and this would be a no go for me....

http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=100245
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783724

Not down for shady manufacturers.

Last edited by WoODStOcK; Dec 8, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sscottttt
A used set of Bilstein PSS9's go for around $1000 and can be rebuild/revalved by Bilstein in CA. to any specs for about $70 a piece.
Good suggestion, though revalving adjustable shocks @ Bilstein is $125/each (http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/s...e/service.html), with about a month turnaround as they only do PSS9 revalves at their CA facility, and usually PSS9s don't come with top mounts unless the person you buy them from put them on; PSS9's are too soft from the factory for competition use off the shelf.

I had a set of PSS9's revalved a couple times with Tein pillow-mounts. Good setup, but the cost of mounts + revalve + Pss9 make me suggest KW V3 for the price range instead. ADjustability on the PSS9 is poor. I sold my PSS9's for new Ohlins, and it was worth every penny to upgrade, so I also suggest watching for used Ohlins as well if you're operating in that price range.

I will say that Smike Evo has it right; Bilstein HD Shocks + Springs are great, KW v3 for the price from GTWorx is also a great option. I have personal experience with stance AL+ and we ended up selling them. Worst suspension i've ever driven on, period, though I know a couple NASA members who run the GR+ and have positive feedback. While I can't comment on the GR+, my opinion is that your money is better spent elsewhere. We have an instance where Jeff Ricca (240SX Motoring) RTA RWD Unlimited Champion blew out a rear GR+ on his new Genesis coupe on the street; it totally destroyed itself, damaging the bumper/fener along with it.

Honestly, I would contact GTWorx and speak with them about your budget; plans. They'll probably recommend the V3 or if they're in stock, the AST setup they just started promoting. Both are sub $1999 new, but are substantially better systems than anything else in the < $1500 price range.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea do your research on AMR...Andy the owner has been banned from multiple places for being shady. If you can get them directly from a vendor that has them in stock that might be okay.

Honestly like Smike said just save up a touch more for used Robispec or Ohlins. Those can be had sometime for around $2k. I have seen the Robispec streets go for around $1600. Also like said, Bilstein PSS9 have very good valving and are cheap to throw some hypercoil rates on there and get them custom valved. I really wouldn't mess with anything else because you get what you pay for and just about anything under $2k really aren't worth it imo...especially if you plan to track the car.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
Yea do your research on AMR...Andy the owner has been banned from multiple places for being shady. If you can get them directly from a vendor that has them in stock that might be okay.

Honestly like Smike said just save up a touch more for used Robispec or Ohlins. Those can be had sometime for around $2k. I have seen the Robispec streets go for around $1600. Also like said, Bilstein PSS9 have very good valving and are cheap to throw some hypercoil rates on there and get them custom valved. I really wouldn't mess with anything else because you get what you pay for and just about anything under $2k really aren't worth it imo...especially if you plan to track the car.

Good input.

Again, I will caution that PSS9's rates are too soft for track use as they sit, and when you add revalving, new springs, plus top mounts, you're adding $500 (125/each per my previous post), plus $400+ in top mounts, plus $200+ in springs.

If you can find a used set like the one I sold for $1650 that came with all that, then you're golden
Old Dec 8, 2010, 02:26 PM

you guys are awesome. any other points anyone else would stress with the evo? I always hear, tranny/tcase nightmare stories, is that usually with the drag guys or just any prolonged hard driving? anything to increase longevity?

Quick Reply: Best Coils under 1500