Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

My evo8 breaks squeak......

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2003, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My evo8 breaks squeak......

Ok i know that you have to break the breaks in ... But mine squeak about 15 feet from a complete stop. Anyone else have this going on? I only remember one time I had to get on the breaks, when a light was turning yellow, But I didnt JUMP on them? Let alone leave any tire marks?

I take it into the shop next week for the pedals, Ill have them look at the breaks....

Any Ideas or like experience? Thanks
Old Mar 9, 2003, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

It says right on mitsu's literature about the Evo VIII that due to the high-performance nature of the braking system, they will tend to squeak more than customary. Don't worry about it, it's just fine.
Old Mar 9, 2003, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

By noiser I think they meant the "GRRRSSSHHH" sound not really squeaking.. Prolly just need to be broken in a bit more.
Old Mar 9, 2003, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, Brembo's tend to squeel at low speeds in forward, or reverse.

Don't fret. Brembos are the best brakes on the market. For the performance, I can stand a little squeak. That is just your car talking to you! Kind of purring, like a kitten!

Not just yesterday did I install a set of Stoptech SS brake lines on my brakes. A MUST HAVE FOR ANY BREMBO SETUP!

Sotptech has the BEST aftermarket brake lines, hands down, but they are pricey ($90 for front, and $90 for rear).

Andy
Old Mar 9, 2003, 03:12 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

The squeal you are hearing is typical of many high performance friction compunds used on the pads. I had similar experiences using Cool Carbon's pads on a VR6 GTI. It goes with the territory. It may also be attributable to the calipers which, when pressure is released, back off on both sides of the rotor allowing the pads to float and sometimes vibrate. Your descritption sounds more like pad compound though becadse it is occuring when the pads are loaded. Nothing to worry about. If you can't live with it you change to a less aggressive pad.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Hummmm, why hasnt any other evo owner mentioned this yet? This happens about 15 or so feet before i come to a complete stop.

I can live with it, if it isnt any wrong with the brakes themselves.
I have just been really careful with my breaking since I started hearing the squeaks.......
Its going into the dealer next week for its first oil change (flush out the metal shaving) and to get silvr pedals, Ill ask the tech then.
Thanks
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Very simple...

Metallic high performance pads squeak.
It is very, very common.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:32 AM

The EVO will be louder and make many odd noises. The information states that there is a 300 mile break in period for the brakes. You should have had been introduced to a certified service tech at the dealership you bought the car from. If you were not then you might want to look into going back to that dealership and have them check it out and get to know the tech. Part of Mitsubishi's big deal is taking care of the customer. Mitsubishi even has gone as far as to create a customer resolution team assigned to help customers of all the Mitsubishi line with any problems they have. The customer service number is 800-222-0037. That number is really set up to be used if the problem can't be resolved at dealer level.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 01:26 PM

Take it back to the dealer there is a bulletin out about brake noise and proper break-in, and warped brake shims.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 01:57 AM
Evolving Member

a bulletin already? :O

-K
Old Mar 11, 2003, 03:26 AM

First year productions... go figure... I'm gonna wait till July of 2004 to get mine, hopefully a major revision will occur in May of 2004 (Mitusbishi's favorite month for revisions on DSMs). Unlike software... you just can't download a patch to fix these things... need to go back to satan to get the free fix.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 03:47 AM
Evolving Member

i understand the first year production bugs getting worked out and all, but i was just surprised that w/in, effectively, a week of the first care being sold, there is a bulletin.

if there really is one, that is.

-K
Old Mar 11, 2003, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

I have a brake (not break) setup similar to the EVO on my DSM and they don't squeal, but every once in a while they will. It's normal and could be related to someone not bedding the pads in correctly.

Do 10 sets of 35mph dragging the brakes to get temp into them. Do this for about 5 mins. Then let them cool w/o the ebrake on. Let it sit in gear. You should see some smoke and smell them when you are done. That the way I do it. I've never had a problem.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 08:11 AM

I can understand the worry of break problems. And I think it makes sence that if you are generally concerned that you take the car to the dealer and have a look. However now may be a good time to learn something!

Jack the car up and pull the wheels off and have a look. You won't void your warrenty, and you'll ensure that the jackass with the impact wrench didn't do all but weld your wheels on.

If you plan to drive the car hard you can expect to learn to change your own breaks, so now may not be a bad time to start getting to know the car you are driving. Even if you dont see anything glowingly wrong It sounds like it may be worth a look just to get you familiar with the car.

As far as bullitins on the car go. It doesn't sock me that much. Bullitins are often based on an often reported complaint from owners. Hell I've even see them for dirt seats for gods sake. You can expect a car of this type to aquire quite a few bulls in it's time.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 09:22 AM

There is a bulletin. Bulletins are not always bad they are also used to explain how a new system works.

Quick Reply: My evo8 breaks squeak......