Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

EVO VIII Suspension Components

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2003, 03:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EVO VIII Suspension Components

Been doing some searching with our japanese contact and jap magazines...from what we see, the VII and VIII suspension pieces should be identical.

We are searching right now on a bunch of Cusco, Tein, Gab, and more...I will have pics and updates of what I have found that will for sure cross over tomorrow...

What suspension components do you prefer?
Old Feb 13, 2003, 09:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cusco for diffs, Hoping the stock suspension is as good as they say, I'd like to leave it alone!

I'm wondering how adjustable it is though, is there ample camber adjustment front and rear? If not camber plates would be cool
Old Feb 13, 2003, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Does anyone know if coilovers or springs would be the be the choice for lowering on the EVO??? I'm definetely going to lower it I just have no clue which one would be better???
Old Feb 14, 2003, 10:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Well...it is always a better choice for serious more aggressive driving to do coilovers. You have adjustablility that just plain old springs do not give. If you want a lowered look, then go with springs, the ride will be sufficient for driving around town.

However if you compete, drive the car to the max, then coilovers are the way to go. We use the TEIN on our current WRX.
http://www.vividracing.com/images/ph...7C0753_RT8.jpg

The Tein coilovers, which are available for the EVO8, have adjustable front camber plates to set your "camber" . And they include rear pillowball mounts. So you get a nice firm ride...However they include 16 way adjustable dampening which is a great feature. You can tune the coilovers to the type of driving you are doing, soft for the road trips, or crank it down for track racing. Another benefit of coilovers is the adjustable ride height. To low and you will bounce around. But the perfect setting will enhance your cornering and reduce body roll.

Just a opinion...any others...

www.vividracing.com
Old Feb 14, 2003, 10:20 AM
EvoM Guru

How reliable is the Tein stuff? I know they have an in car electronic shock adjuster which is damn cool

A little off topic how about sourcing an inexpensive 2-piece front disc upgrade? That would be popular. Same dimentions as stock just 2-piece for less warping
Old Feb 14, 2003, 10:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Tein is very reliable...You have to understand there is 2 different types of markets...The hardcore JDM racing components like Zeal or HKS coilovers that are Japanese tuners preferred coilover for $2500+ or you go with the less expensive, yet quality $1300-$1700 products for US customers...

I have sold probably 30 sets of Tein for WRX and have had no complaints...Granted the internals are not made like DMS, but the price point is a bonus as well. If you did a poll for the WRX crowd to see what coilovers most use...It would be Tein. In fact here is a quit poll that we did on our site.
http://www.vividracing.com/poll/inde...ispid=28&vo=28

But honestly I love using them, I have the EFC unit as well and it makes the coilover that much more fun to adjust it in cabin. I think they work well for street, track, and autoX. They are not noisy and I have never heard of any wearing down. But you have to understand when people say certain things...such as they will break after a year...NOBODY uses Tein for rally racing or professional street racing. That is how the wear and tear takes place...

But you and I are just out for fun
Old Feb 14, 2003, 10:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Sorry I was rambling.. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Rotors are available from Endless and Project Mu of Japan, as well as Stop Tech soon, and of course DBA of Australia. Since the car all ready comes with 4 piston brakes and 2 piston fronts, I hope but not sure if they have steel braided brake lines? That would be the first upgrade...then I would worry about the rotors.

Usually cross drilled is more of a look. Look at all serious race cars, they use slotted. The ventilation and reliability (wont crack) is better with slotted.

Not a brake expert but know some stuff. I use AP 6 piston on the WRX...They pull your teeth out on a stop!

www.vividracing.com
Old Mar 10, 2003, 09:33 PM

VividRacing,

excuse my ignorance, can the Tein coilovers be adjustable on-the-fly? If so, can you mention which systems allow that at what price (I understand that it will be costlier). Many thanks.

/k
Old Mar 12, 2003, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Claudius, where can I get a 2-piece rotor? That would be a nice upgrade. Also, once warping occurs is it possible to keep the aluminum bell and just replace the friction part of the rotor?
Old Mar 14, 2003, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Claudius

I think stock camber adjustment is up to 2.3 deg front and 1.5 rear approx., just not as convenient to set up as with camber adjustable top mounts.
I am looking at it

Camber -1°00' <Default factory setting>
(-2°00' adjustment possible)
0°00'
Caster 3°55' 2°50'
Kingpin inclination 13°45' 12°35'
Toe-in mm (in) 0 (0) 1 (0.04)now on the CD and it say
Old Mar 14, 2003, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Here is the rear suspension

ITEM LANCER EVOLUTION LANCER