Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

i want my wheels black, or something dark

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2004, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i want my wheels black, or something dark

ok, i know this is an evo forum, but i wasnt sure if you spoiled evo guys looked at the petty ralliart forums...

i want my wheels on my ralliart ot be black, or a gunmetal type of color, something dark...i wanted to know if there was a way i could paint the stock wheels, cause i plan on keeping them, at least for now. i only want to do it myself if it is going to look good, and at least last for a good amount of time. If that isnt possible, how much would it be to have it done professionaly? Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html
Old Jul 18, 2004, 08:31 PM

this stuff works?

or how about this...would you put it on your evo? haha
Old Jul 18, 2004, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

I would, except there's a moron in town with a silver EVO with black painted stock wheels that drives around like an idiot, loses control, jumps curbs, lies about how much power he makes. I don't ever want to be associated with such assclownery
Old Jul 18, 2004, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

I know a couple of people who've taken their stock wheels to get powdercoated. It comes out looking great and it's not too expensive. If I remember correctly, it was about $50-75/wheel. I would recommend getting a gloss color rather than a flat color. Black and dark grey (gunmetal) should be available colors. Post some pics if you get it done.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

I have these for sale if interested...... Ralliart = 5-lug correct???

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=89752
Old Jul 18, 2004, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

POWDERCOATING CAST ALUMINUM WHEELS = CERTAIN DEATH

Seriously, please don't powdercoat your wheels, its dangerous.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheGVR4kid
POWDERCOATING CAST ALUMINUM WHEELS = CERTAIN DEATH

Seriously, please don't powdercoat your wheels, its dangerous.
Please explain... I know my factory wheels on my '93 Cobra were powdercoated with silver flake...
Old Jul 18, 2004, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

The curing process for powdercoating is typically between 350-450F. This extra heat cycle is extremely detrimental to the integrity of most cast aluminum alloys. They get brittle, crack, and snap when under heavy load, like what a wheel experiences. Most powdercoating shops do not have the $100k equipment needed for controlled temperature increases and decreases and this is extremely stressful on the metal. A mass produced wheel will have it's original coating done and cured by such a machine, if it is even powdercoated at all.

Old Jul 19, 2004, 08:24 PM

Yikes
Old Jul 20, 2004, 10:17 AM

i painted my wheels black on a honda i had a few years ago, i just used duct tape to cover the tires and sprayed flat black primer with random direction sprays from about 2 feet away and did a lot of coats, it came out looking awsome. some tips i have from my mistake is clean them extremly well before you start and dont use orange glow or anything like that because it keeps the paint from sticking. good luck.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Man, thats some helpfull info, thank you!! I was thinking about powder coating my wheels.. Glad I saw this first!
Old Jul 20, 2004, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info - definitely something to ask if I ever get wheels painted or otherwise treated...
Old Jul 20, 2004, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

I sent my 5zigen rims to get powdercoated last week. I was going to use these rims as my daily driver and at the track several times this year including Buttonwillow and Willow Springs coming August 7-8. Looking at that picture has gotten me freaked out now. Has there been a lot of cases of powdercoated cast aluminum wheels snapping/cracking like that?!? Just imagining the rims cracking at over 100+mph at a turn is not something I want to ever experience. The place I took to get powdercoated said that powdercoating aluminum wheels would be fine and will not crack.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

I've seen it happen to a good variety of wheels, both OE and aftermarket. For one reason or another I've seen and heard about a large number of Ford R58, R50, and D178 Cobra R's failing after powdercoating. This may have something to do with the alloy, or just because there are such a large number of these wheels being used and being used hard. The photo if anyone wanted to know is a C5 Vette wheel.

If you use your wheels at the track another reason not to powdercoat them is for inspection. Wheels do fatigue, crack, and break during track conditions, that's a fact. You should inspect your wheels after events when you clean them and such. Look for stress fractures and such. A lot of race teams will strip down their wheels every few events to check for problems, and then just repaint them. With a powdercoat this isnt possible, and it is thick enough to hide problems in the wheel below.

I had powdercoated wheels before, and did not have a problem. But knowing the things I know now, I just wouldn't chance it. Like you said, the thought of a wheel failure at speed ain't my idea of a picnic.

Quick Reply: i want my wheels black, or something dark