Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Resurfacing Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2004, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by umiami80
Ok he is the deal, my Evo is about to wear out on the breaks. There is NO shaking or shimmy, stops just like it did the day I got it, it NEVER had a problem. Looked @ my rotors today, they have minor grooves in it. Looks like the rings of saturn, very slight. I hear this is normal ware of the pad.

I have 32,000 miles on nmy car.

DO I NEED to RESURFACE MY rotors? Is it necessary? WHY or WHY NOT???

Thankz...
No, especially if you go with a higher metal content pad like Ferodo DS2500. I never resurfaced my rotors when I switched, and they actually got smoother from the new pads.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you guys who switched to the DS2500's have rotor warpage or thickness variation or did you just replace the pads because they were worn?

Gumpy.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 05:09 PM

I replaced my pads after resurfacing the rotors this weekend. Turns out the shop had installed my rotors backwards and they warped badly...

The resurface/new pad solution is working much better.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:06 PM

I have to get new brake pads. The dilemma that I am in is that the dealer is charging me a good $700 for both front and rear pads. Now is that how much break pads should cost? Or is the dealership trying to screw me over?? If they are over chargin me. Any suggestions where I could take my car to get my break pads installed????
Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure if it's any different here, but my Ralliart dealer told me that the Evo 6 pads can't be machined. They said they were too thin BY DESIGN, (not because they were too old)

Now I don't know if they were just trying to sell me another set, or what, but they quoted me about $2k US ($2800AUD) for two front rotors and 4 pads.

I ended up ringing brembo and asking for the Evo 6 OEM, they gave it to me at half the price (Just a hair over $1k) I'm going to fit them this weekend.

When they're out, I might take them to a brake and clutch shop and ask if they can be machined. If they say yes, then there's no way I'm going back to that Ralliart dealer.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by BLoReAn
I have to get new brake pads. The dilemma that I am in is that the dealer is charging me a good $700 for both front and rear pads. Now is that how much break pads should cost? Or is the dealership trying to screw me over?? If they are over chargin me. Any suggestions where I could take my car to get my break pads installed????
That is way too much money. Get some Endless SS-S pads (call Adam @ www.z1auto.com and ask for them) for about half the price and twice as good as stock. As far as install goes, find a friend with a jack and some tools and do them yourself. I learned a couple of weeks ago just how easy they are. I also think Jemm (do a search for "Jemm brake pads") wrote an excellent thread about it.

Chris
Old Nov 29, 2004, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

I have also experienced the "Put away wet" pad bond to the rotor. I usually always drive the car to dry the brakes but this last sat I just washed it and pulled it in the garage then drove it to work monday when I backes out of the garage I heard the pop as my pads broke free from my rotors. My rear brakes have a spot on each side that are a different color compared to the rest of the rotor and vibrate like hell when i stop from high speeds. On my way to work tomorrow I will try to solve this issue. My front is kinda the same with the different color deposit left on the rotor but seems to never go away. If I brake from a high speed the wheel shakes violently but if you REALLY tromp the brakes it does not it only does it under lighter high speed braking.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ty-Evo8
I may have improperly bedded break pads? I don't understand I don't break late like some people do, I ease into it and come to a gradual stop.

Please someone explain to me how to seat brakes properly so that this doesn't happen in the future. Does this mean that all I have to do is replace the pads and everything will be back to normal? Is this at all dangerous to have? Is this going to create more problems with my brakes or rotors in the future? I don't have the money to shell out at the moment and was hoping to just live with the problem until I can afford new aftermarket pads and rotors.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Go to www.stoptech.com, they have a lot of useful information regarding brake systems in general AND, how to properly bed-in a new set of pads.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, Question here - at least two of you have mentioned sanding your pads/rotors to fix supposedly "warped" rotors. My rotors seem to be warped, but I really want to try sanding them before I pay $300 bucks for resurfacing, and just wanted to know - did you guys sand the pads/rotors by HAND or did you use a small power-sander type thingy?? (sorry, don't know if theres a more appropriate name for 'em haha). eh?? eh???
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

$300 to resurface your rotors? From where Mitsubishi? Just by new ones for that!
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:49 AM
Evolving Member

Since brakes are the topic and everyone seems to chime in with their issues I figured I'd mention mine... I'm not sure of what I'm experiencing. On light braking, there's a pulsation in the pedal. It goes away if I apply more pressure (not to the point of a brake check). Last time I checked my pads and rotors, there's still a good ammount of material left on the pads and no major grooves on the rotors. The only thing noticable is that outer pad on the driver side is wearing at a slight angle. BTW, I have almost 18K on the car now and 12K of it was from the previous owner... Could that affect pedal feel? A warranty issue perhaps?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 10:19 AM
Account Disabled

$300 for resurfacing? Its like $15 per rotor!!!
Old Jan 4, 2005, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ThEHiTMaN
$300 to resurface your rotors? From where Mitsubishi? Just by new ones for that!

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
$300 for resurfacing? Its like $15 per rotor!!!
ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! I explained very clearly to them what I thought needed to be done, and they said "around $280 if we have to do all 4." Could he have misunderstood me and quoted me a price for replacing the pads or something??
Thanks for warning me they're trying to buttrape me!

Oh yeah and I still wanna know about that sandpaper thing...
Old Jan 4, 2005, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

oh sorry, forgot to add - any particular place I should take my car to get rotors resurfaced?? (The $300 quote was from the dealership). Any place but the dealership??? hahaha
Old Jan 4, 2005, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Thinking about getting mine resurfaced after putting new pads on. Could anyone give advice if i took some detailed pics?

Quick Reply: Resurfacing Brake Rotors