Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Resurfacing Brake Rotors

Old Dec 22, 2008, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by barney malone
But what about:
Has anyone else had the experience of the inner pad wearing much faster than the outer? and
And lastly, is there a great recommended place to get some pads quick especially near San Diego?
Well, this is not really the thread to be asking those questions.

Rotor wear could cause the pad to wear at an angle or one side more than other and piston engagement can also have that effect.

Go ask in the regional forums for California. I order my parts via the interweb.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been reading this thread with great interest. I've a different Mitsubishi (Eclipse, please be kind ), but a related problem -- steering wheel shake while braking at slow speed to a halt (no brake pedal pulse). My OE rotors lasted tens of thousands of miles without problem, but it was eventually time to replace them. I have since installed two different sets of OE "equivalent" rotors, but in both cases the low speed braking shimmy behavior reappeared within two thousand miles.

I kept the first pair of replacements since I couldn't understand how they could have become warped so quickly, though that's what my steering wheel was telling me . From reading this thread, I could try pulling my current rotors and manually resurfacing them (garnet paper or steel wool and brake cleaner), but I'm also thinking both pairs of new rotors could well have been out-of-true to begin with. (Two or three out of five?)

My current thought is to get the pair-on-the-shelf over to my machinist for turning, install them, and then see where I am. Although I've always installed lug nuts in an alternating fashion and with roughly the same torque on each -- I suppose I could also try using a torque wrench (80 lb-ft) in case it helps.

Am I overlooking anything?

Originally Posted by barney malone
But what about:

Has anyone else had the experience of the inner pad wearing much faster than the outer?
Replace the caliper!

Last edited by TrevorSt; Jan 12, 2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 04:46 PM
hlm
Evolving Member

i resurfaced oncejust so i could race one weekend and my new brakes wernt coming til the next week. It was ok but was def a lil less braking power
Old Jan 15, 2009, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hlm
i resurfaced oncejust so i could race one weekend and my new brakes wernt coming til the next week. It was ok but was def a lil less braking power
How do you lose braking power due to resurfacing your rotors? If anything, the fresh material should be aiding in your braking.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 01:44 AM

revvin9k - not necessarily reduced braking power, what he means is reduced thermal capacity since the rotors are thinner due to the resurfacing. the lack of thermal capacity means the rotors get hotter faster and can't take as much heat before they transmit that heat to the pads, then to the calipers, and finally to the fluid which boils the fluid and results in less than ideal braking performance.

no flames for me please i work hard for my $ and i spend it as i see fit, that being said, i replace rotors when i replace pads and vice versa.

barney malone - i don't know how accurate this is but i would assume inner pad wearing faster on multi-piston fixed calipers is pretty common due to very slightly higher brake fluid pressure on that side since it receives the pressure first and residual has to travel through the metal hose to the other side of pistons(or piston). i say it is pretty common because out of all the cars i've owned and friends' cars, relatives' cars, etc. that have multi-piston calipers the inner pad always wears faster, its usually only a very slight difference but it does occur. - keep in mind, inner pad wear on a car with sliding/floating single-piston calipers is NOT normal and is likely due to lack of lubrication on the slide pins/slide screws(again, depending on piston type).
Old Jan 29, 2009, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

AlexEvo

Please send me your old worn out rotors I'll gladly pay for the shipping.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think rotors should be turned at all. I just buy new rotors, but then I also run slotted rotors which are more difficult or can't be turned depending on who you ask.

If you buy a Porsche or BMW, or just about any highline car and you go in to have a brake job done, the price will floor you because they are going to charge you for brand new rotors every time. Most of those high line dealers won't even have a lathe to turn them. Its just not their way.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

edit:

Last edited by chad99evo; Feb 8, 2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by GPTourer
If you buy a Porsche or BMW, or just about any highline car and you go in to have a brake job done, the price will floor you because they are going to charge you for brand new rotors every time. Most of those high line dealers won't even have a lathe to turn them. Its just not their way.
FWIW: When I took my rotors to my auto machine shop to get them turned, I was told they didn't even perform that service anymore. Aftermarket rotors are sufficiently inexpensive there's little point in turning the old ones.

Last edited by TrevorSt; Feb 9, 2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by AlexEvo
revvin9k - not necessarily reduced braking power, what he means is reduced thermal capacity since the rotors are thinner due to the resurfacing. the lack of thermal capacity means the rotors get hotter faster and can't take as much heat before they transmit that heat to the pads, then to the calipers, and finally to the fluid which boils the fluid and results in less than ideal braking performance.
I think there's a question here as to the meaning of "resurfacing". As used in this thread, resurfacing does not require a lathe since no material to speak of is being removed -- just surface debris. As you are using it, it's referring to turning or cutting the rotor on a lathe, a very different thing.

barney malone - i don't know how accurate this is but i would assume inner pad wearing faster on multi-piston fixed calipers is pretty common due to very slightly higher brake fluid pressure on that side since it receives the pressure first and residual has to travel through the metal hose to the other side of pistons(or piston). i say it is pretty common because out of all the cars i've owned and friends' cars, relatives' cars, etc. that have multi-piston calipers the inner pad always wears faster, its usually only a very slight difference but it does occur. - keep in mind, inner pad wear on a car with sliding/floating single-piston calipers is NOT normal and is likely due to lack of lubrication on the slide pins/slide screws(again, depending on piston type).
Thanks for the info -- wasn't aware of that difference !
Old Feb 15, 2009, 11:04 AM

this may sound dumb but is it okay to resurface rotors that are cross drilled and slotted or should they just be replaced with new ones?
Old Feb 17, 2009, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by armyfoodsucks
this may sound dumb but is it okay to resurface rotors that are cross drilled and slotted or should they just be replaced with new ones?
I would say no, that they must be replaced with new ones. I've asked this question to a few different people it get ranged answers from "it can't be done", to "it can mess up the lathe", to "it will ruin the rotor", to "it takes longer, you have to be more careful and it costs more to do."
Old Feb 17, 2009, 05:57 PM

I took my car to a brake only shop to get the pads changed because they were squealing. They resurfaced the rotors and I paid $900. Then the front rotors warped. Replaced with stock rotors for $87 a piece. Then rear rotors warped. Found drilled and slotted rotors and pads on ebay for $319. I will let you know if those work.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:14 AM

sick write up...r u sure evrythg will wrk out ths way??
Old Mar 5, 2009, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Any one ever turn rotors for road racing? I see people getting rid of stock rotors all the time for cheap, i figure i could pick them up and dust them off so they are true and run them for a couple track days. I guess i could do that for spairs anyway if the stock units cracked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Resurfacing Brake Rotors