Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Anthing good about godspeed coilvers?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Smike
These are re-packaged BC coil overs. Which we know have spotty valving and low quality parts throughout.
If this is true, then Megans should be the same too.

Anyways, I've had Megan coilovers on my car before (bought the car with them on). Like a lot of coilovers, they rode stiff. After one year, all 4 shocks were blown, both the front coilovers were bent, and the locking nuts were seized and I could not lower the front anymore (it sat on stock height while the rear can be lowered a lot since the rear wasn't seized). In the end, they were terrible. And this was JUST ONE YEAR!

There, that's my review on re-packaged BC coils. If you want somewhat of a quality but don't want to break the bank, look into Stance or Fortune Auto. They at least have some TA winnings and are rebuildable (at least FA is, don't know about Stance).
Old Aug 2, 2012, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Go with FA IMO. They're US-based (at least partially) and have actual customer service
Old Aug 3, 2012, 03:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
I have been using the Megan Streets (BC/Hello Kitty) coilovers for more than 2years and 20+k miles with zero issues. When I purchased mine it had the unpreferred spring rates, but now they are offered in the preferred spring rates. For a daily driver they are a good choice.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Smike
. Truth is 90% do not need coil overs (which since we are talking engineering here...they already have a coil over strut system....

Lots of truth in that. I have been tracking the evo for over 3 years, have a fair amount of track time and suspension mods and still feel there is more I can get out of my oem kyb w/ 68k miles and Robispec springs with more track experience under my belt.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a good affordable coilover are Buddy Club racing specs, and Fortune Auto 500's. I ran both on my first EVO. I ran the Buddy Club's for 150,000+ miles of racing, daily driving, and general vehicular tomfoolery, took them off the car, cleaned them, and sold them. As far as I know they are still rolling strong. Never needed to be rebuilt or revalved. I replaced them with the Fortune Auto's and for the time I had them I liked them a lot. I plan to just race the EVO I have now on stock suspension for a while. I like being able to clear bumps and jump the car without any worries, so it'll probably be a while before I lower this one.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TommiM
Lots of truth in that. I have been tracking the evo for over 3 years, have a fair amount of track time and suspension mods and still feel there is more I can get out of my oem kyb w/ 68k miles and Robispec springs with more track experience under my belt.
Yup, OEM with springs is more than enough for 90%+ on this site. There is no point in buying coilovers worse than the OEM components, thats just dumb.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 08:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
If you go cheap, go with Megan Racing "Track series" coilovers. I ran mine for about 8-12 track events and 20-25k street miles and they were still going when I sold them to a friend of mine. On socalevo's top 40 or top 25 list of fastest members on SoCal road courses you'll find me in the top 10 or 15 with the ohlins, kw, moton, ast, and jrz guys

Last edited by L888Apex; Aug 3, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 04:18 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
The dude said "adorable coilovers." I know it's a typo, but it's still pretty funny.

- drew
<grin> Given the cosmetic nature of the quest, the descriptor isn't that far off.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Put little bit more and get megan if you want. Has good warranty plus you can get those from our vendors.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
You get what you pay for.

Don't expect them to last long (maybe 10-20k miles depending on road conditions)

Don't expect the to last through winter in places where they salt roads or it snows and not have them rust together and not be adjustable

Don't be surprised if they bend / blow

If you are 100% aware you're buying soemthing cheap, go for it.
I agree. For the cost it might be better to just get some swift spec Rs with some stock shocks, MR bilsteins, or Bilstein HDs. Great performance, reliable, proven, and still a comfortable ride. The time and $ wasted fixing the problem is worth just doing it right the first time around. The most important thing is will the potential mod fit your goals and needs? Good luck.