Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Federal 595 RS-R Trying These Tires Out

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 08:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I prefer my Z2's to RS3's I had before. They have smidge less ultimate grip. But the tire responds so much better to direction change, I feel it more than makes up for it...
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:25 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I prefer my Z2's to RS3's I had before. They have smidge less ultimate grip. But the tire responds so much better to direction change, I feel it more than makes up for it...
Probably more suited to auto cross and smaller tracks? I would imagine an R-S3 would be preferable on, say, Willow Springs?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 08:29 AM
EvoM Guru

I couldn't answer that, I've never had the car on a track, only autocross.

But direction change is also turn in, and the car responds better. I could see having a lot more confidence in the car, especially going into 5 coming down from 4, and at turn 8 and 9...
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:30 AM
kaj

I couldn't answer that, I've never had the car on a track, only autocross.

But direction change is also turn in, and the car responds better. I could see having a lot more confidence in the car, especially going into 5 coming down from 4, and at turn 8 and 9...
Makes sense. I've used my R-S3 for auto cross and a few Buttonwillow sessions. I can definitely see how the Dunlop would be preferential for AX, but I don't think I could give up grip at the track.
I also noticed pretty much everyone was on the R-S3, A088, or full on slicks. Interesting how tire choices have settled. At AX it's a a lot different. Lots of Dunlop, A6s, or street tires. That's why I asked about a different tire bring desired for each discipline.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
these things don't last long
Old Apr 19, 2014, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
RS3's are an amazing tire for the money. The grip they provide is amazing for a "140" tread rated tire. We refer to the RS3 as a cheater tire in AZ my lap times are almost identical on RS3's as they are on NT01's. They're that good.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 02:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
Makes sense. I've used my R-S3 for auto cross and a few Buttonwillow sessions. I can definitely see how the Dunlop would be preferential for AX, but I don't think I could give up grip at the track. I also noticed pretty much everyone was on the R-S3, A088, or full on slicks. Interesting how tire choices have settled. At AX it's a a lot different. Lots of Dunlop, A6s, or street tires. That's why I asked about a different tire bring desired for each discipline.

Depends on driving style and preference I guess. But, to me, the rs3 feels sloppy until (if it ever does) the tire takes a set in the corner.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 08:23 AM
kaj

Depends on driving style and preference I guess. But, to me, the rs3 feels sloppy until (if it ever does) the tire takes a set in the corner.
possibly. my inputs on the road corse are very slow compared to AX. i don't notice any slop nor the tires taking a long time to settle. i do not feel they are the ideal AX tire, but i had no real issues there. tires are definitely a preference part.

Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by oinkoinkpig
these things don't last long
I get 10-15k out of a set of tires, regardless if they're a 200 treadwear max performance tire like a Z2 or RS3, or if they're a 300 treadwear uhp tire like a michelin PSS, or BFG comp2.

Originally Posted by kaj
possibly. my inputs on the road corse are very slow compared to AX. i don't notice any slop nor the tires taking a long time to settle. i do not feel they are the ideal AX tire, but i had no real issues there. tires are definitely a preference part.
Yes. And I've only had the rs3's on big willow, and they were on a Mini Cooper S, car had 250hp, coilovers, and good brakes. The car just never felt settled. It's hard to say though with only having experience with that one setup. I've never hit the track with the evo unfortunately.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Apr 20, 2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:34 AM
kaj

Yes. And I've only had the rs3's on big willow, and they were on a Mini Cooper S, car had 250hp, coilovers, and good brakes. The car just never felt settled. It's hard to say though with only having experience with that one setup. I've never hit the track with the evo unfortunately.
and it was a 100% tire issue? i've heard they are a bit less responsive when compared to Dunlops, but i've never read anything about them upsetting a car's handling. weird. i did have a similar incident with my Evo back when i was running Bilsteins with a lowering spring, though. in any case, get that Evo on the track. if you thought the mini was fun....
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
and it was a 100% tire issue? i've heard they are a bit less responsive when compared to Dunlops, but i've never read anything about them upsetting a car's handling. weird. i did have a similar incident with my Evo back when i was running Bilsteins with a lowering spring, though. in any case, get that Evo on the track. if you thought the mini was fun....
Car just felt squirmy, not sure on it's feet. Couldn't tell if it was just tires. I know it never felt like that on the michelins we had on it for daily driving...

And yea, it's in the plans. Just need to set aside some money for an extra set of brakes, and it will happen.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 01:57 PM
kaj

Car just felt squirmy, not sure on it's feet. Couldn't tell if it was just tires. I know it never felt like that on the michelins we had on it for daily driving...

And yea, it's in the plans. Just need to set aside some money for an extra set of brakes, and it will happen.
my biggest surprise when i started tracking my cars was the cost of good pads. wow.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 02:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
my biggest surprise when i started tracking my cars was the cost of good pads. wow.

Yea, $500-$700 depending on what you get. I have an extra set of rotors already. Just need pads.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 02:49 PM
kaj

Yea, $500-$700 depending on what you get. I have an extra set of rotors already. Just need pads.
rotors would be nice so you don't have to bed them in every event. i got two sets of used pads. if you keep an eye out you can find them reasonably priced. i bought a set of 80-90% Hawk DTC-60s for about $250-300 (i forget) and another set in the $200-250 range. just keep an eye out for someone dumping a set cheap. they are out there. i'm not even close to using the second set, either. they seem to last forever during HPDE.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 06:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
the federals are on a good sale right now. like 20-30 bucks off. If I can pull off a good week bang!

Is there only one vendor in the USA for these tires?

Quick Reply: Federal 595 RS-R Trying These Tires Out