Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

OHLINS DFV Road-Track C/O Review

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know if there is any clearance issue with a 10.5 wheel with the standard ohlins spring on an Evo X? I am looking to get a set this winter.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by wasFWDnowAWD

After reading through this thread I'm super stoked on getting a set of Ohlins coils. Anyone know the difference between the DFVs (Model before current) and the Latest R&Ts?

Got a used set of the Ohlins DFVs for $700! 8kg/mm Front / 10kg/mm Rear. Havent installed them yet. May need a rebuild but I'm going to try them first.
Was wondering if anyone knew what type of metal they are made of. Aluminum? I'm trying to figure out what i can do to remove the road grime before install..
Maybe some wetsanding and polish? Any recommendations on polish compound? Any advice on settings? Thanks.

Well I have no idea on which version of ohlins it is but visually it doesn't have independent height adjustment and has helper springs like the older versions of the R&T.

Cleaning off the grime is a very good idea. Don't try to adjust the collars up and down unless you have them cleaaan.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by humpevo311
Anyone know if there is any clearance issue with a 10.5 wheel with the standard ohlins spring on an Evo X? I am looking to get a set this winter.
Call Mueller.

www.Muellerized.com
he will get you what you need.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by deeman101
Ok had it corner-balanced (it was already very close though) and aligned today and I had the owner of the shop test drive it after for feeback. He currently campaigns 3 hyundai genesis coupes in Canadian castrol touring car cup series (he knows his stuff). I did -2.5f / -1.5r camber with 0 toe all the way around. Well, smike is right. It does oversteer! Corner entry is so aggressive the rear end steps way out. Pretty much happened on every corner. Hairy stuff. Still this is on 340 treadwear "performance" tires so I don't really want to draw any conclusions until I get it on the track with my track tires. The extra grip and sidewall may change its characteristics.

I tried it later on in quiet backroads and basically it has more grip on these hockey puck tires than I can approach. Best I got was a chirp from one of the tires. No cojones.

In terms of ride, the sharper the bump the smoother it handles 'em. Man hole covers are cake. Even ones that dip into the road. So are expansion joints. IMO it actually handles those kind of impacts better than stock bilsteins. Awesome stuff to say the least!
reread this thread, so stoked about this setup - especially what was written above - i've been running the gtworx/bilstein setup for a while and i've wanted ohlins DFVs for over a year now. equally excited about the handling and ride. i've got the 8/10 setup, which is what i was recommended for street/autox on 235 tires. will stay on this width tire for a while. i'm interested to see how the ohlins work with the rest of my suspension/drivetrain setup.

big thanks to gtworx!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

You'll love them!!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

I have them on my new Evo being built. Can't wait to test them out.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
I have them on my new Evo being built. Can't wait to test them out.
lol we should chat sometime i think we do/have done similar things with our cars
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

No doubt. Seems like we have like minds.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 05:45 PM

Hi guys,

Need some information.
When installing the OHLIN DFV, how to manage the front brake line?
Since the OHLIN DFV don't have the brake line bracket.

Could anybody provide any information or picture as a installation guideline.

Thanks in advance
Application on JDM Evo8MR

Last edited by pangyau; Aug 18, 2014 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old Aug 18, 2014, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I used a rubber coated p clamp and fabbed a bolt on bracket
Old Aug 19, 2014, 07:08 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
they should have the brake line bracket-

cb
Old Aug 19, 2014, 05:18 PM

Hi guys,
Need your input/idea/advise or anything on this.

Should I buy the OHLIN DFV?
I know this kind of thread has been posted many times but I still need some answer due to many factor.

At present I am using the Bilstein suspension for almost 5 years.
Nothing much exciting event I joined. Until I’ve rebuild the entire engine with little bit upgrade.
I felt the limit of Bilstein suspension like noticeable body roll on high speed and taking the corner seem achieved the limits.
The road, mostly B type condition (uneven, poor tarmac etc).

Few years back this car was a daily ride and family wagon but not anymore.
I wish the same till today, unfortunately not as the family had their new ride “The Van”.

Last month, I was little bit fast drove the car cause it airborne and slip during the corner. Lucky everything was fine and in control.
Only few bruised under tray.

The reason I’m asking is:-
1. I wish to rack my car but unfortunately don’t have any track circuit in here.
2. Little bit gymkhana but not so often the event & still learning processed.
3. The car seems running on weekend on winding road/touge session but I like to drive this car as my daily (works etc)
4. Bottom line... I need to improve the handling.

I have few thought:
1. Buy the OHLIN DFV probably it will last long compare to others.
2. Buy TEIN Super Street but no longer in production so probably choosing the TEIN Street Flex or TEIN Street Advance because it much cheaper.
3. Buy OHLIN DFV second hand units ½ the price of new unit but without the front pillow ball and assume it still in good condition.
Buying the pillow ball replacement and probably some maintenance + transportation it will cost me big.

People said it’s your money so u decides. I just don’t want to spend so much on something unnecessary.
I need good quality product that could last few years. Repairing any type of suspension in my place will cost so much due to transportation fees.
Probably better buy new unit rather then refurbish. Limited option of suspension I could choose in here due no support at all.

At the moment, I still wonder about OHLIN.
Nobody using OHLIN DFV on their Evo in here. No opinion I could get on this.

Any comment very much appreciated.

Last edited by pangyau; Aug 19, 2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pangyau
Hi guys,
Need your input/idea/advise or anything on this.

Should I buy the OHLIN DFV?
I know this kind of thread has been posted many times but I still need some answer due to many factor.

At present I am using the Bilstein suspension for almost 5 years.
Nothing much exciting event I joined. Until I’ve rebuild the entire engine with little bit upgrade.
I felt the limit of Bilstein suspension like noticeable body roll on high speed and taking the corner seem achieved the limits.
The road, mostly B type condition (uneven, poor tarmac etc).

Few years back this car was a daily ride and family wagon but not anymore.
I wish the same till today, unfortunately not as the family had their new ride “The Van”.

Last month, I was little bit fast drove the car cause it airborne and slip during the corner. Lucky everything was fine and in control.
Only few bruised under tray.

The reason I’m asking is:-
1. I wish to rack my car but unfortunately don’t have any track circuit in here.
2. Little bit gymkhana but not so often the event & still learning processed.
3. The car seems running on weekend on winding road/touge session but I like to drive this car as my daily (works etc)
4. Bottom line... I need to improve the handling.

I have few thought:
1. Buy the OHLIN DFV probably it will last long compare to others.
2. Buy TEIN Super Street but no longer in production so probably choosing the TEIN Street Flex or TEIN Street Advance because it much cheaper.
3. Buy OHLIN DFV second hand units ½ the price of new unit but without the front pillow ball and assume it still in good condition.
Buying the pillow ball replacement and probably some maintenance + transportation it will cost me big.

People said it’s your money so u decides. I just don’t want to spend so much on something unnecessary.
I need good quality product that could last few years. Repairing any type of suspension in my place will cost so much due to transportation fees.
Probably better buy new unit rather then refurbish. Limited option of suspension I could choose in here due no support at all.

At the moment, I still wonder about OHLIN.
Nobody using OHLIN DFV on their Evo in here. No opinion I could get on this.

Any comment very much appreciated.
Just bought mine 3 months ago new from Works. Arrived here and installed it last week
and installed it.

Verdict: Freakin amazing. I came from Tanabe pro 7, then Tein but this? I can't even describe how good they are.

I will be in a autocross event this weekend. I say I can't to put these set to the test.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I will say the ohlins really come alive in gravel type conditions they are amazing. I got the 8/10th's setup from mueller.

Last edited by Grimgrak; Aug 20, 2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 01:33 AM

J!n K@z@mA & Grimgrak.

Thanks for the respond

Quick Reply: OHLINS DFV Road-Track C/O Review