Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clunking front end noise??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best way to get Mitsu's attention on this might be for us all to file NHTSA reports. A large number of us WRX owners did this with various issues encountered on that platform. If enough reports are filed, the NHTSA will investigate and Mitsu will be required to take action.

If we go that route, we should coordinate so that we all file under the same vehicle component section, etc. etc.

-Pace
Old Jan 15, 2004, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Well I got my car back from the dealer all fixed. They just went under the car and tightened everything in the front end. No more clunking.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:32 PM

Experienced the same clunking noise that most of you described and the cause is the suspension top mount (the round rubber pads under the bonnet above each wheel). Replaced those and the noise was gone for good. Alternatively, for something more resilient, you may wish to consider Aluminium Pillow Ball Mounts.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You beat me to it newsboy. Had the same problem in my WRX. Went to pillow ball mounts and problem solved. Need some for the EVO now.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 08:24 PM

Clunk here too

I hadn't heard "the clunk" until I rotated my tires (6K miles). It almost sounds like the wheels didn't get tightend correctly. I agree that it can also sound like a strut problem.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

definitely a srtut top mount that getting abnormally worn out due to the stiff suspension. gets worse as miles are put on the car. warantee? should be.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

I'm going to take mine into the dealer to have replaced under warantee problem. And the above posts are right. It is the upper strut mounts that are making the clunking noise. I wonder if anyone makes some nice aftermarket ones?
Old Jan 19, 2004, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

rear and front

OK before I was experiencing this clunking noise in the back. Now it's both front and back. I have a total of 1,500 miles on my car now. I have an appointment at the dealership For Saturday 1/24/04. I'll post anything they find & any fixes. I'll probably get the old "that's a normal noise" runaround, but I don't want to be pessimistic before I actually go in.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 12:57 AM
Evolved Member

I started getting the strut/spring noise after I rotated my tires at 5k mile. Glad I'm not the only one.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 01:20 AM
Evolving Member

i was cornering really hard on a back road tonight (test drives for headlight height settings) so I went back and forth a couple of times on the same stretch.

one of the turns, a very fast one, has a big bump in it and every time i hit it, i heard a really loud clunk.

unless mitsu is replacing this part with some sort of updated part or method to install it, the warranty solution will put you right back where you started, nevermind the risk of getting a hack mechanic (they make big commission $ for being fast).

the only real solution (unless mitsu does a recall) is to make a case as a body of owners, like that other guy said above.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 08:06 PM
choad

Time for me to pay a visit to the dealer..
Clunk was noticed right after install of winter tread..(?)
Front left side..

This should be a warranty item..
Old Jan 26, 2004, 04:00 AM
Evolved Member

Re: rear and front

Originally posted by machron1
OK before I was experiencing this clunking noise in the back. Now it's both front and back. I have a total of 1,500 miles on my car now. I have an appointment at the dealership For Saturday 1/24/04. I'll post anything they find & any fixes. I'll probably get the old "that's a normal noise" runaround, but I don't want to be pessimistic before I actually go in.
OK I took the mechanic for a joyride in my car (Really great guy, owns a 10 second DSM, really knowledgeable, helps his girlfriend mod HER EVO). He agreed that there was unusual suspension noises. He found the end links of something to be loose, and said probably the upper mount of the front left shock is bad too. He ordered those parts and is going to install them as soon as they come in. I'll give an update when parts are installed. It sure is nice to get some cooporation from the service department.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 06:21 AM
choad

Shock mounts, etc.

Thanks..
Time to head to the dealer!
Old Jan 26, 2004, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i have this clunk too, but mine is on the passenger side...sounds like the strut is loose, but its a really faint noise. Maybe i will print this post off, like i did with the paint chip thread, and see what i can do about the clunking...I still have not taken anything action with the paint chips though, really im not that worried about them...hehe....My suspension has given me a couple weird noises lately, at almost 10k....my suspension is not altered in any way,shape, and or form. For those with different suspension setups.....how is it holding up??
Old Jan 27, 2004, 03:40 AM
Evolved Member

I post the same question on "Evo General"...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=61206

Someone suggested that it's the sway bar bushings... so..
is it the front upper mount??

If indeed it's the upper mount... which part is it?

strut insulators?

Quick Reply: Clunking front end noise??