Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Wheel question?

Old Aug 30, 2010, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel question?

I am looking at buying a used set of wheels, but the rear wheels are 9" wide and front are 8" wide. Tires are same height and size other then width. Will these work on my evo? I don't know if difference in traction will hurt the drive train.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To eliminate drivetrain strain, you want to have all of the tires on an all-wheel drive car be the same size. The "height" number in a tire size is a percentage not an actual measurement. I'd be willing to bet that the tires are not actually the same size in diameter.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

I wondered about that, because often it seems even when a tire has the same "series" if one has a wider width alot of times it still tends to be taller
Old Aug 30, 2010, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
run the 9's up front and make sure the tire sizes are the same all the way around. Should actually be a decent setup over the factory wheels.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never run any different width wheels on the evo. The way the math works for tire sizing they will be almost guaranteed to be slightly different diameters. Here's a handy online calculator for determining how different.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Even if they start the same size as the tires wear they will wear differently and become different diameters over time. This will cause abnormal amounts of wear to the drivetrain.

Just don't do it. Get 4 tires and wheels the same size. There's a thread about this topic all the time and the answer is always the same.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 07:38 PM

and rotating tires becomes a even bigger hassle
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys
Old Sep 3, 2010, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

You don't want different size widths on your car. It will difinitely hurt your handling.Wider rims on the back and narrow ones on the front are usually for rear wheel drive like Porsches or bmw's

Search this Thread