Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

aftermarket log nots on original wheels?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket log nots on original wheels?

When I changed my Evo wheels to Gram Lights 57C few years ago, my wheel guy put special lug nots. Now I want to go back to the original wheels and I don't know if the new log nots will work on the original wheels

anyone know?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

The OEM LUG nuts have a shank style to them, which means it recesses into the wheel. The Gram Lights are more than likely an acorn style seat, it will not work.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 08:34 AM

Will not
Old Aug 16, 2010, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a few you can buy online that'll work though. I found a set that worked with the stock wheels and were even open ended so you could use with ARP extended wheel studs. The only downside was they were a bit touchy after repeated on/off changes. But I tracked with them a few times w/o issues.

https://www.ezaccessory.com/ProductD...Code=98-0003OE

Last edited by boomn29; Aug 16, 2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

What is Log Nots? Lmao...
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

When I get a chance, i'll take a picture of my old wheel where I used OEM lug nuts by accident at the track on my stock wheel. Yes, I realize you probably won't be tracking your OEM wheels, but it still can eventually lead to the same result:

What will happen is the acorn shape will dig into the 90 degree edge where the OEM lug nut seats, grinding away the metal of the wheel slowly over time. Eventually, this hole will become 'out of round' and what will happen is the wheel can fall off the car.

My wheel came loose at 130 mph on pocono north. luckily i felt the shimmy and immediately pulled off. Even if you play around on the highway at high speeds, the same can happen to you.

So, no, they won't work, and don't try it.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

These work great, and are relatively inexpensive as well. I personally have not had any issues with on/off changes yet.

Originally Posted by boomn29
There's a few you can buy online that'll work though. I found a set that worked with the stock wheels and were even open ended so you could use with ARP extended wheel studs. The only downside was they were a bit touchy after repeated on/off changes. But I tracked with them a few times w/o issues.

Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29

As you mentioned, since these are coated, they tend to oxidize. Making it a PITA to remove from your socket.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by JonahEVO
What is Log Nots? Lmao...
I thought the same thing.