Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Revalving coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2010, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Revalving coilovers

hey guys, I need to revalve my KW V3. Any recommendations to who does a good job in revalving KWs and how much does it cost?

Im going to call Robi and GTWorx tomorrow, just wanted to see if i have any more options

thanks
Old Mar 9, 2010, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those are the 2 I would call. Honestly, no need to look elsewhere. These 2 guys are here on this forum, support our community and know our cars well. Andrew@GTWORX helped me a ton in deciding on suspension and tires. He's a wealth of knowledge. But something tells me you know this already.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 06:38 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about calling KW? Thought of that?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chu
How about calling KW? Thought of that?

That seems pretty aiken to calling Microsoft because you want a custom version of windows.

Thought of that? Think that's going to happen?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 06:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
KW rebuilds, but won't revalve.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; May 31, 2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 07:32 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tkklemann
That seems pretty aiken to calling Microsoft because you want a custom version of windows.

Thought of that? Think that's going to happen?
But it can't hurt to call the original manufacturer first does it? All they could say if no.

Doesn't seem like GT Worx offers it either based on Andrew's reply.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 07:49 AM
Former Sponsor

We can not revalve them at this time.

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Mar 9, 2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

learnt my lesson the hard way buying used coilovers, going to talk to KW on monday and see what will they will say about this

andrew have a set of ohlin DFV ready for me in a month
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Q8_EVO
hey guys, I need to revalve my KW V3. Any recommendations to who does a good job in revalving KWs and how much does it cost?

Im going to call Robi and GTWorx tomorrow, just wanted to see if i have any more options

thanks
Ali,

Let me tell you and let me tell the whole forum, KW is a joke. They charge a whole lot for a product that is not up to the standard.

Years ago(8 years ago ) my friend (evofunk)purchased a new Mini Cooper S, he then installed a set of KW V2(the v3 weren't in the market yet), the company advertized that these KW shocks/coilovers have a chemical treatment that prevents it from rusting the threads.
They even have an advertizing by a german University in which they "tested" the coilover threads against mod, salt,snow and water and the true is that the coilover rust like no other.

The reason why I am bashin this product is because you are number 3 friend that ran into serious issues with the KW. Your coilover desintegrated, my friend's KW's had to be hammered to get it adjusted and another frieend that I have had his KW reservoir blown.

This is way too much crap for soo much money that it cost. I absolutely do not recommend or endorse these KW coilovers for their false advertizing. For soo much price and advertizing these product is an under enginneered over priced substandard product.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Mar 16, 2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

talked to both robi and KW..

Revalving cost:
Robi: $150/corner
KW: $125/corner

and about $200 to fix that shock

IMO... with all that crap that happened, KW is great lol

talking and getting reviews on forums is different than actually feeling how beastly your car handles on track. you gotta be in the drivers seat to appreciate them

not bashing back or anything else, but i like them and thats why Im sending them to robi to work his magic on them
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ali, I am glad you found a "cheap" source. In my opinion and fater all the KW braggin they should absolutely pay not just for the repair but also for the inconvenience plus for the false advertizing.

When I say false advertizing is not just that the coilover didn't last as adevrtized but also by lying to you advertizing a "lifetime warranty". You shouldn't have to pay nothing, this is no less than a subquality product. When are you going to see the stock suspension breaking like that.

Any how, I am glad you are getting your car fixed.

Carlos
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Thats not that cheap...hell Ohlins will revalve my DFV's for almost less than that. I have seen too many KW3's bend when really tracked hard...as well as their valving not be that great and twin tube construction can only go so far. Decent for a dd/weekend warrior but theirs better for the price when getting up their for motorsports imo.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:12 AM
Former Sponsor

I'm trying to get AST to get their 4100 dampers out for EVO.....

- andrew
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
Thats not that cheap...hell Ohlins will revalve my DFV's for almost less than that.
But it's not that expensive either, especially if it includes dyno plots. Bilstein charges less, penske charges more.

I have seen too many KW3's bend when really tracked hard...
Me too, but v3 is a street product right? I would think it would last through speed bumps and pot holes.

twin tube construction can only go so far
How's that? It seems to me that most of the advantages of a monotube are in packaging. If you read the SAE shock handbook, it states flat out that the biggest reason to choose a monotube is when you are mounting the unit horizontally. Otherwise a twin-tube _can_ be engineered to perform well for virtually all road applications (Rally and offroading have very different requirements). Case in point, the Koni 8611.

Anyway, back to topic.

Decent for a dd/weekend warrior but theirs better for the price when getting up their for motorsports imo.
I'm with you there, brother. I'm firmly in the camp of you-cant-do-it-right-for cheap.

d
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

(unrelated) I saw a few of your posts on the evoX areas, any chance Eibach would release their coilovers for the 8/9?

Quick Reply: Revalving coilovers