Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

steering wheel still shakes after balancing and alignment!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering wheel still shakes after balancing and alignment!!!

I have been having wheel shaking after I changed my wheels, maybe after. I dont remember. I have 18" Gram Lights 57C, The car is lowered 1.25". I have aligned it 3 times, balanced, still shaking. This is mainly when going 60-65.

Im thinking maybe the centering ring has fallen one of the times the wheel was taken off?

Also braking hard, the car does pull to the right, but I just had it aligned for the third time few months ago. I dont know whats happening. Its become a drag to drive.

When I drove in NJ, there were a lot of pot holes. i dont know if something is bent?

I need help.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Try and get the brake rotors cut. That help me out alot.. I was having the same issue but under light braking. I got the rotors cut and the vibrating went away. Make sure you bed the pads again.

Last edited by awdboosted; Jan 9, 2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 01:37 PM

I dont know if I understand, can you explain?
Old Jan 9, 2009, 01:41 PM

Were your wheel and tire balanced properly? A possible problem could be one of your rim is bent.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 01:44 PM

That is a possibility. As far as I know, yes.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you hit a lot of potholes .... very possible you bent a wheel(s). Even after balancing (a slightly bent wheel), it would shimmy. You might want to have your wheels checked for this. It is very difficult to see with the human eye so it would be best to have a professional check each wheel on an appropriate machine.

AWDBOOSTED is saying to have your rotors turned.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 01:59 PM

I do remember the tech telling me the wheel was bent but when I checked it, it looked like upon turning, the tire side wall would be mal aligned or go in and out.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well then there you go!!! All this and you already knew your wheel was bent? An alignment and balance doesn't cure a bent wheel my friend.....good luck fixing it or replacing it. I had a bent wheel and was fortunate enough to be able and fix it.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You would think after balancing the tires they would be able to tell the rim was bent..
Old Jan 9, 2009, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by awdboosted
You would think after balancing the tires they would be able to tell the rim was bent..
It depends on the balancing machine, if it's not a road force balancer then the wheel will still balance fine even with a bend.

I ran in to this exact same issue with my Volk Racing wheels. I bent the lip on one of mine and while it still holds air fine and balances fine I still have a bit of vibration in the wheel.

Now rolling on Rota's and I haven't had a single issue with my wheels after daily driving on the same roads as the Volks. Hit tons of potholes and never damaged or bent one, and if I happen to damage one I'll just buy a single replacement wheel, something I can't do with my bent Volks
Old Jan 9, 2009, 05:24 PM

well, as I said, there was no visible wheel bending, what I could see was the tire looked a little wobbly, not the rim. Im assuming the balancing should have taken care of this!!!
Old Jan 9, 2009, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

If the tire looks wobbly -- It could be a defective tire. could be lopsided or have a flat spot or something. Balancing will help balance the weight but if it's out of round it will still hop and wobble.

Another thing it could be.. and I had this happen....

Improperly centered wheel. I've had my wheels rotated at a tire shop and afterwards the car shook and the steering wheel vibrated. I had to jack up the car, loosen the lug nuts, carefully center the wheel on the hub and tighten each lug nut gently by hand while jostling the wheel around to make sure the lug centered perfectly in each hole on the wheel. Then lower the car and torque. That fixed it for me.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 05:47 PM

Evo, I think that may be the issue, I think maybe one of the times when the wheel was taken off, possobly the centering ring came off, therefore causing the wheel not to sit correctly. I need to take it off and check.

But then again, I had the wheels rotated, Wouldnt you think that would have solved the issue, if the cuase was a warped wheel and now they are in the back?

Unless all the wheels are warped?

This, on top of faded wing, on top of chipped hood and bumper, its driving me nuts!!!
Old Jan 12, 2009, 05:42 AM

Lolz the volk rimz are forged by a machine that distributes 10,000 tons of pressure to forge the monoblock rims. That's y they cost so much, but my wheel shakes a lil at 110 going on 120...idk imma have it checked out...
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:19 AM

I was talking to my father in law who is a mechanic, he was telling me the shaking may also be due to drivetrain or suspension parts?

what do you guys think?

Quick Reply: steering wheel still shakes after balancing and alignment!!!