Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

staggered wheels, same size tires?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
staggered wheels, same size tires?

ok, I have been searching this and other sites to get an answer to my question, but havent found a definate answer....please dont flame.

I would like to put these on my 05 evo.

I have a set of volk ce28n's off of my 96 skyline, they are 18x8.5 w/235-40-18's and 18x9.5 w/265-35-18's. I know it is not good to run a staggered tire setup, but If I throw a 235-40-18 on the 18x9.5, having the same size tires all around, in theory this would work?

I just dont want to pop for a whole new set of new volks.

Last edited by t88-supra; Jan 9, 2009 at 12:56 AM. Reason: adding content
Old Jan 9, 2009, 01:14 AM
Former Sponsor

You need to run the same size wheels all around
Old Jan 9, 2009, 01:39 AM
Evolved Member

I believe the Cyber Evo uses a stagged set up, but I'm not 100% sure. I personally wouldn't trust it though. To much risk in blowing a diff. Even if you did use one matching set in the rear and one matching set in the front the 18x8.5 could weigh less and would therefore spin faster than the 18x9.5's. Even if it's just a small difference it may be enough.

Also thats a small tire to try to stretch on a 9.5in wheel. You'd be going drifter style .
Old Jan 9, 2009, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It doesn't affect the diameter of the tire. Go ahead. Although I would put the 265's on the 18x9 rather than the other way around. And run the narrower wheels in the back.

Just make sure that you get all four tires new. Two new tires and two half-worn tires can damage the differentials.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tripperfx3
Even if you did use one matching set in the rear and one matching set in the front the 18x8.5 could weigh less and would therefore spin faster than the 18x9.5's.
Weight has absolutely NOTHING to do with it.

Originally Posted by GTLocke13
It doesn't affect the diameter of the tire. Go ahead. Although I would put the 265's on the 18x9 rather than the other way around. And run the narrower wheels in the back.

Just make sure that you get all four tires new. Two new tires and two half-worn tires can damage the differentials.
Do as GT says, wider wheels up front, 265's all around. There have been many evo tuners who use this idea in JP, such as Bozz Speed, ect.

P.S. Do you have the Black GTR or are you one of the guys with a GTS-T
Old Jan 9, 2009, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

man i would love to put my wheels on but i been searching up a lot on the staggered issues people are saying about

I havent seen one thread where someone broke something due to a staggered set up.

Now for daily driving and looking good is it ok to use my 17x8 17x9 my tires are 225 and the rears are 245's
Old Jan 9, 2009, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
For racing purposes, where a car may put 1000 miles on it in a year max, staggering wheels has not led to any issues as long as you use the same size tire front and rear. For example, I run an 18x11" front wheel and 18x10" rear wheel, both with 285/30/18 tires. MANY racers run staggered with no issues, whether on the ACD or VCU center diffs. . .

HOWEVER - I don't personally know of anyone who has put 50K miles on their car this way. To be safe, after you get the tires mounted take a tape measure and measure the circumfrence of the front and rear tires at normal operating pressures. There is a chance that by stretching one tire onto a fat rim and squeezing the same tire onto a narrow rim that the OD may be a "little" bit different. If the circumfrence is off by less than a half inch, which would only be 0.5% difference, then I say no worries. . . especially and certainly on an ACD car. . .

EVOlutionary
Old Jan 10, 2009, 04:54 AM
Evolving Member

will i be ok with my set up ,
Old Jan 10, 2009, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Wrap a tape measure around a front and a back tire after you get them mounted just to be sure the circumfrence is close. This is what will tell you if you will be OK.

As had been said many times, no one yet has shown any damage caused by running the same size tire on different width wheels. . .
Old Jan 10, 2009, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Alex Rodriguez
will i be ok with my set up ,
No, you need the same size tires. You can run different wheels, but need the same size tires.

The reason you can run the same tires on different rims is the tires circumference wont change, due to steel/kevlar/ect belts running the entire tread circumference.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by RaNGVR-4

The reason you can run the same tires on different rims is the tires circumference wont change, due to steel/kevlar/ect belts running the entire tread circumference.
This is untrue. If you run a 235/40 tire on a 8.5" wide rim and a 9.5" wide rim, the 9.5" wheel WILL have a shorter circumference because the tire is being stretched to fit the rim.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Technically the only way to be really sure that the diameters are the same is to do the following:

1) Mount the wheels/tires on the car.
2) Put the car back on the ground at static ride height.
3) Set tire pressures.
4) Measure the distance from the hub (or wheel) center to the ground.

This would give the actual radius of the tire under which it will operate.

Don't forget the evo has roughly 900 lbs/corner in the front and 650 lbs/corner in the rear and is most likely the reason behind the 3psi tire pressure stagger.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EM1 to EVO
This is untrue. If you run a 235/40 tire on a 8.5" wide rim and a 9.5" wide rim, the 9.5" wheel WILL have a shorter circumference because the tire is being stretched to fit the rim.
No it won't. The circumference of a tire is defined by the steel belts that run under the tread. Unless you buckle one of these belts (which I've never heard of, and would destroy the tire anyway), the circumference is the circumference. You can squash it on a narrow wheel or stretch it on a wide one and the overall circumference won't change by more than the amount the steel can stretch, in other words: not much.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by GTLocke13
No it won't. The circumference of a tire is defined by the steel belts that run under the tread. Unless you buckle one of these belts (which I've never heard of, and would destroy the tire anyway), the circumference is the circumference. You can squash it on a narrow wheel or stretch it on a wide one and the overall circumference won't change by more than the amount the steel can stretch, in other words: not much.
Ah okay I see what you're saying. Question, let's say you had a 235/40 and a 265/40 of the same exact tire, would the circumference still be the same or would it be different?
Old Jan 10, 2009, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

^^^^^^
Actually, 235/45-17 and 265/40-17 are each 79.6" in circumference.

I actually considered doing this, but decided the 265's on stock wheels was a bit much. The ricer in me wanted the 265's on the rear.

Quick Reply: staggered wheels, same size tires?