Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What ever happened to zzyzx?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2008, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What ever happened to zzyzx?

I tried to visit the site today and it was down. Seemed like these would be the best bet for the price. Any one know what happened to Dan (I think that's his name)?
Old Nov 28, 2008, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
My friend tried to buy a set of coilovers from them but gave up after they wouldn't respond to his email after 2 weeks of waiting.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

That's a shame. Seems like he had a winning formula.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 03:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My understanding is that there was a combination of personal problems and the difficulty of running a business and producing all those parts alone. Steve definitely had quality products that we would have liked to see succeed. Smart, respectable guy.

The fact is this market is NOT kind to small shops like us and zzyzx. Margins are slim on hand crafted, low production number parts like his. It's a LOT of work for a small shop, much less 1 person.

And this market is such that SOME people get that the bottom line isn't always where you can find the cheapest stuff, but where you can find quality parts for a good price, with real actual r&d behind it, and real after sale support. But it's concerning how many people out there are just looking to save a buck or two and get stuff from Doug's Discount Car Part Warehouse. And then call us or others when they have a problem or wonder why their spring rates and valving suck. There are a lot of people out there that just don't get "it." Frustrating, but we keep going.

With the economy where it is and increased competition from shops that just don't care or have the knowledge, a lot of the niche shops that really care about the end user are gonna be in trouble. We are struggling ourselves and see a lot of other good shops in the same boat. We try and send business their way and they return the favor sometimes too.

Steve had a lot of people interested, but only 2 EVO orders as far as I know for the first batch. Interest is a very different thing then a commitment as we've come to learn ourselves.

But his story might be a bit different. Hopefully we'll see his stuff back in the market sometime in the future.

- Andrew
Old Nov 28, 2008, 03:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Case in point: I get people trying to negotiate the price on our GTWorx springs which are $189. That's nothing! We're literally moving them to make room. On the other hand, 2 years ago we were selling our RCE Yellow springs for 339 shipped and literally couldn't keep them in stock. We continually had a waiting list for each shipment in. Times are not the same.

sorry for the rant

- drew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Nov 28, 2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Case in point: I get people trying to negotiate the price on our GTWorx springs which are $189. That's nothing! We're literally moving them to make room. On the other hand, 2 years ago we were selling our RCE Yellow springs for 339 shipped and literally couldn't keep them in stock. We continually had a waiting list for each shipment in. Times are not the same.

sorry for the rant

- drew
its the population of lower income people who can now afford USED evos that now bring that market to you.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

A lot of people like the idea of preset coilovers and I think Robispec may have a bit of a stranglehold on this segment. I don't know but I'm guessing by the number of comments on his board about the KW's.
To his credit, I think Robispec has done a good job getting his name out there in time attack situations.
I thought zzyzx was on it's way in the autox world but cricumstances intervened.
Too bad Steve can't team up with GTWORX or Robispec to get these 8611's out there.
Andrew, sperate subject, can you guys send out coilovers essentually preset? There are a lot of people, including me that like the idea of the coilovers already being about 90-95% dialed for cornerbalancing height wise so those of us without racing scales near by can be set up. Thanks.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

I'm actually so disappointed with the quality of coilovers in the sub-2k range that I'm seriously considering buying at set of stock struts and using them to fabricate my own coilovers. I was one of the ones interested in the ZZYZX setup, but they just weren't in the budget last year.

From what I can tell, the biggest issue is going to be fabricating the lower piece of the rear strut and getting the geometry right. Other than that it should just be some cutting and welding.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Zzyzx was a night club in Korea! LOL
Old Nov 28, 2008, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you think everything under 2k is junk then you must be a professional race car driver.

Sorry to hear ZZyzx didn't make it but in reality there are tons of very good sub $2k suspension options available.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
If you think everything under 2k is junk then you must be a professional race car driver.

Sorry to hear ZZyzx didn't make it but in reality there are tons of very good sub $2k suspension options available.
Such as...?

The only option I've heard of that people have been happy with are the Bilstein and Swift Spring combination.

Last edited by MrBonus; Nov 29, 2008 at 07:03 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

I think my PIC TSO's are a good suspension option under $2000. The zzyzx's wouldof been the next step at bout $2500.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have you looked at anything Stance has to offer? They even offer a spring option as well as a full aluminum setup. What about Tein Flex? They perform well when dialed in correctly. I think you can get 90% of the performance from something low cost but the rest is going to come from dialing them in.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

coilovers and handling are like cameras to photography... it just takes one person with skill, vision, and technique and a 35mm film camera from wally-world to embarrass you with your $3k kit to prove how skill > equipment any day of the week.

OTOH, take that same person with the skill and give him the $3k kit, and you get magic and maybe more importantly, someone with the ability to point out flaws in even the most sophisticated equipment.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Stance Im impressed with for their price. Tein's are one of the worse shocks Ive ever driven on, Id rather drive a stock dampened car. Megans felt better. But for great performing-mid priced stuff, ZZYZX looked to be a contender. too bad theyre out.