Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Squeaking from brakes after rim curbage

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2009, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeaking from brakes after rim curbage

Hey all,
I wasnt paying close enough attention when pulling into a friends house and curbed my passenger front rim. Now while I am driving, there is an inconsistent squeaking coming from that wheel after I apply the brakes. It is a wavy squeak that sometimes will stay "on" for quite a while (even if brakes aren't applied) until I come to a stop then start up again after I start rolling. I thought it might be dirty, but after a hard rain last week, the squeaking is still pretty aggressive.I've looked at the rotor and there isn't any abnormal wear in it. Any suggestions or feedback is welcome.

inb4: oh noes you shouldn't have curbed your rim in the first place...
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Chances are that you just move your wheel out of alignment a bit. Take your wheel off, reset your rotor by just jiggling it a bit and re install the wheel. If it persists then you probably tweaked your bearing a bit but this a place to start. How hard did you curb? Like just grazed it, or like hit and rolled up on the curb?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 02:32 PM

Thanks will try that today. It wasn't a hard hit, but it wasn't a graze. I was probably going between 5-10 mph when I hit. I was at a pretty *edit* "flush" angle to the curb, so I didn't roll up onto it or anything.

Last edited by petrey253; Oct 24, 2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 02:07 PM

I went ahead and tried to jiggle the rotor, but it didn't seem loose at all. Also it doesn't sound like a bad wheel bearing. Could it be a different/bigger problem?

Last edited by petrey253; Nov 15, 2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 01:37 PM

bump....
an update:
so a little better description of the noise is not a squeak, its a squeal. Its not a grinding sound like a bad wheel bearing and i don't think it is my brakes since it is a constant squeal whether braking or not. The volume of the squeal doesn't go up or down with speed. It is fairly consistent and pretty damn annoying at low speeds.
I took a power washer to it and it really seemed like it was gone until it dried out and then it was back to the same ol'.
Any help would be appreciated.