Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

STANCE Coilover Height Adjustment Problems

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2009, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STANCE Coilover Height Adjustment Problems

About a month ago I purchased some STANCE GR+ Pro Coilovers for my Evo IX. Thus far I am more frustrated with them then happy. I got them installed then took my car down to a local guy the very next day for the alignment and corner weighting.

I asked my alignment guy if he could adjust the ride height because the car was sitting fairly low to the ground with the initial installation. IMO, it was to low for a car that I daily drive. We started at the front left corner where all the fun began. Supposedly we were suppose to be able to loosen the locking nut, then rotate the coilover shaft to thread it further into the base, or out of the base to adjust the height. With the front left corner this was not possible with the coilover bolted onto the knuckle. However, we can adjust the other 3 corners height without any problems. So we unbolted the coilover from the knuckle and at this point the coilover shaft rotates freely.

Which leads into problem number two, when we get to corner weighting the car we are now at the mercy of the front left corner. Once the front left corner is bolted in and the alignment is set, we can only adjust the height of the other 3 corners. In order to adjust the front left corner we would have to unbolt the coilover from the knuckle thus ruining the camber setting. This whole issue makes corner weighting the car a PITA.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem before? It seems like when the front left coilover is bolted in, it creates enough pressure that we cannot rotate the shaft to adjust the height. I've called Stance a couple times and explained this situation only to be told to unbolt the coilover and set the height at the base, which still makes corner weighting the car nearly impossible since we would need to reset the camber each time. I've also been told to disconnect the ball joint from the hub, but this just seems like a painful work around to the actual solution.

Any input, or advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Chukee_R; Mar 30, 2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

dam how unfortunate. Let us know how it gets resolved.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
First set ride height as you can balance any car whether its set high or low.

Then adjust corner balance.

Once the car has been corner balanced then align it.

-----------

I find it odd that in an unloaded state you would have so much pressure that you wouldn't be able to adjust the coil over. That almost indicates you have a damaged part. There shouldn't be any pressure on that coil over when that side is raised off the ground.

I've gone through this process serveral times with various types of coil overs an all have worked like a charm. Corner balancing is fairly quick and easy process. Put it on the scales... determine what needs to go up and what needs to go down... make the adjustments (unloaded suspension) ... put back on the scales and measure again.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Robi is coming to the Chicago area in mid April. Might be time for a road trip!
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Try disconnecting the sway bars (which you should be doing anyway when corner balancing).