Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

SmurfZilla's Front facing w/AC build thread. Long time coming

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SmurfZilla's Front facing w/AC build thread. Long time coming

So my car went down last year due to some poor decisions on my part with the car. Don't want to relive it. I'll just let the pictures do the talking.

I had an even bigger hole in the back (bent the balance shaft). What can I say.....when I blow a motor I go hard. LOL.

Anyways I sold the HKS setup I had and after a few months of letting the car sit I decided on a specific path. I wanted something a little different from the norm but still a decent street vehicle. Plus after my wife finished reminding me (I just spent 4k on it before it blew) the plan was to build the car I always wanted just this once and go all out and just be done with it.

While the car sat I started buying parts:

I want all of this

In here:

You get the gist. I basically changed the entire car inside and out (minus paint). I'll have a parts list after all the documentation but I spent way more then I anticipated.

For the motor I went with a 2.4 and for the turbo setup its a 6265 twinscroll. I pulled the trigger on the turbo setup in March and April I pulled the trigger on the motor. All the other stuff was purchased along the way.

GSC was on backorder for the S3's and my buddies shop Zen was super backlogged so it took a while for the wrenching to start, but once it started it was slow motion, car sitting for over 6 months, moving from my garage to my buddies shop.....parts went missing.

So on to some of the issues I ran into. Apparently my motor blowing was so severe it cracked the transfercase housing. I found one locally but it was for a non ACD 8. Bought one from someone in Hawaii and had it 2 day'd (I wanted my car fixed really bad, lol).

Intercoolers pipes I got from the same maker of the manifold were a little off so they had to be modified a bit. Had a leak coming from back of the head where the mivec filter was and then one from the block where the mivec line car from (Those should be resolved now. Been driving for a day and no leaks).

I had an issue with my double pumper (BlaqOps), when I had a quarter tank it would act like it was running out of fuel. Never got a chance to sort it out last year when my car blew so we had to figure it out now, finally figured out the socks were pointed the wrong direction (simple but missed fixed).

I was working with English racing on email tuning but I got into a little trouble on my closest open road with the local LEO (like 5 cruisers, guns drawn type trouble). I talked them down off taking me to jail and they just gave me a speeding ticket after all the drama (I think they were bored). I showed them I wasn't just joy riding I was actually trying to tune my car. I had plans to go to Spec-Ops in NC but Scott from TTP was in town and was at my buddies shop. After talking with him he agreed to come back the next day and tune the car.

He spent almost 10 hours at my friends shop....mainly chasing issues.....some small, some potentially engine blowing. I know he gets a bad rap from some on the numbers his dyno put out but all I know is I owe that man alot. He KNOWS his stuff. I'm a believer. If it wasn't for him I could've been parting my car out after blowing the motor again.

Anyways he was able to street tune it to 24 PSI but the car was breaking up. He suggested i go back to the OEM plugs (I was running one step colder Denso's). After taking the Denso's out we noted that 3 of the 4 plugs had bad cracks in the porcelin. Swapped the plugs in and the misfire issue was worse. Swapped back to OEM coilpacks and the situation did NOT change. We pulled the plugs again and sure enough one of the OEM plugs had a crack in the porcelin (we missed when we pulled it originally). Got another set of OEM plugs and the car MOVES OUT at 24 PSI (on E85). I've been in some 600HP cars before and this feels like that.

So now the last thing to check is my clutch. I'm having to put my foot all the way on the ground to get into gear and even then sometimes its a struggle. Might have to adjust the clutch fork....I replaced the master cylinder last year so I doubt thats it....maybe a slave cylinder.

That being said I broke my rule. I'm posting this because I'm excited about the car but I didn't want to until I had a dyno sheet to post. There is a drag event coming up in November. I plan on taking it down the track once to see what kind of trap speed it will pull. I'm not launching it and I'm not putting slicks on it. This is a street vehicle.

We should be finalizing the E85 tune this Friday. I'll tune it for 93 later next month (I never run it anyways but in case i want to take it out of state).

As for driving impressions. Car is scary just at 24 PSI. Can't imagine what more power feels like.

Not sure what wheels I like better.

Below is the parts list. My dyno sheet will be posted when I hopefully finish the E85 tune on Friday.

Engine:
2.4 Block
MAHLE MOTORSPORTS CUSTOM PISTONS (10.5)
TOTAL SEAL PERFORMANCE RINGS
MANLEY TURBO TUFF LONG RODS
CLEVITE RACE ROD BEARINGS
CLEVITE RACE MAIN BEARINGS
CLEVITE THRUST BEARING
ARP MAIN STUDS
COMETIC CUSTOM 87mm HEADGASKET
ARP 625+ SUPER ALLOY HEAD STUDS
FERREA +1mm INTAKE VALVES
FERREA +1mm EXHAUST VALVES
FERREA DUAL VALVE SPRINGS AND SEATS
FERREA TITANIUM RETAINERS AND LOCKS
SBI BRONZE VALVE GUIDES
GSC POWER-DIVISION S3 CAMSHAFTS
CLEVITE BRASS FREEZE PLUGS
CLEVITE BALANCE SHAFT BEARINGS
BORE CYLINDERS
POWER HONE WITH TORQUE PLATE
DECK BLOCK
LINE HONE MAIN JOURNALS
POWDERCOAT BLOCK
O-RING DECK
MACHINE FOR EVO OIL SQUIRTERS
MACHINE FOR COSWORTH OIL SCRAPER
MACHINE FOR MIVEC OIL LINE
BALANCE ROTATING ASSEMBLY
KNIFE EDGE AND POLISH CRANKSHAFT
CHECK ROD BEARING CLEARANCE
CHECK MAIN BEARING CLEARANCE
CLAY BAR FOR PISTON-VALVE CLEARANCE
MACHINE HEAD FOR OVERSIZED VALVES
RESURFACE HEAD
STAGE 3 PORT AND POLISH
POWDERCOAT VALVE COVER AND OIL PAN
OEM BSE (stubby shaft)
MAPerformance Mivec oil return
Gates 4G63 timing Belt
Gates accessory belt
Fidanza Cam gear

Drivetrain:
Shep built trans with Ultimate gearing
Shep built X-fre case (stage 2)
Weir Racing 12 Plate rear LSD upgrade (making it a true 1.5 way)
Carbonetics Triple carbon clutch/flywheel combo (sounds like ninjas fighting with swords).

Spark/Fuel:

FIC 2150's
AEM fuel rail
BlaqOps Double pumper
Upgraded fuel line and all fittings to AN
Spoolin up COP
OEM NGK iridiums (Have the Denso's on deck just in case)

Turbo/Exhaust:
Precision Turbo 6265 1.00 A/R
JDL Twinscroll Tubular Manifold
Turbosmart Comp40 Wastgates
JDL Wastegate Dumptubes
JDL 3 inch Downpipe
JDL Intercooler (3.8 Garrett Core)
JDL LICP/UICP
Turbosmart Raceport BOV
Tomei Ti Expreme
Tomei Ti Test pipe (because I can, lol)
Autozone Race filter (Spectre), just got my Vibrant so I will be swapping that out this weekend. Just needed something for DD purposes

Tune(r/ing)
Stock ECU
Tephramod V7
Speed Density
Scott from TTP

Cooling/Air Conditioning Solution:
CBRD Half Cut Radiator/Fan
Mishimoto Cooler Thermostat
Evo Compressor
Civic Condenser
Modified AC lines (Evo fittings on one side and Civic fittings on the other)
And yes AC blows cold
And no my car has not overheated even in stop and go traffic on a 90+ day

Body/Looks/Aesthetic:
Work Meister M1R's Bronze with polished lip 18X9.5 +20 offset w/Hankook RS3's 245/40/18
Gruppe-S limited edition Gloss Black TE37 Superlaps 18X9.5 +20 (yes +20.....custom offset)

bad pic I know
Fortune Auto Titainium Lug nuts
Rexpeed Carbon Fiber Front Lip/Sides/Rear/Varis Style rear diffuser/Type-3 spoiler/Ganador style side mirrors/Hood Dampers
Top Secret Titainium Towhooks (front and rear)
Hella Supertones (with a harness to run them at the power they should be)
3000K HID (Foglights)
6000K HID (high beams)
Rear JDM tail lights (replica)
Dress Up Bolts engine bay kit

Suspension/Handling:
Tein Type Flex w/EDFC (traded a local my BC's plus cash, might upgrade again next year)
Whiteline front and rear sway bars
Whiteline Steering precision kit\
Whiteline Roll Center
HKS Kansai Titainium front strut bar
Cusco Rear 3 point strut bar

Interior:
Sparco R505 racing seats (Sold my Bride's to someone in Hawaii)
Sparco Racing harnesses
Restitched rear seats (Sparco on headrest)
Bucshur Racing Quick Release harness bar (This was right on time as I just bought the Sparco harness bar and my wife brought up the fact that the kids couldn't ride in the car)
Rexpeed Carbon Fiber arm rest/emergency brake
Prosport Halo Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel pressure, Wideband
AEM Tru Boost W/75PSIA sensor (going back to ECU controlled boost this week so it will be up for sale soon)
Rexpeed Triple gauge pod holder
Gruppe-S gauge panel holder
TTP ECA Ethnaol Gauge
(truth be told I think the gauges are overkill and I will be looking to simplify the setup with a Zeitronix setup)
Black Suede Headliner

ICE:
Nothing special.
Alpine IDA-X305
Alpine Type-R Door/Rear speakers
Alpine Type R 12 inch sub
Alpine 600/1000 watt amps
Perfect solutions Enclosure
Passport 9300XI
Evoscan GPS navigation
Viper Alarm with Start Smart

Most of the ice has yet to be installed yet just because of the time but I have the parts at home waiting to find the time to install them. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Dyno:
Hopefully end of the week. I really don't want to leave you guys hanging.

My wife for putting up with obsession and allowing me to indulge just this once

EVOM for all its wealth of knowledge. I wouldn't have had the courage to try this if it wasn't for this forum)

Ball Engine - These guys know their stuff. If you are in the southeast region you need to consider them for your engine building needs. They build Evo motors, Subaru's, Toyota's. They are not afraid of a high horsepower build. They thrive on it.

Jesse B (JDL): He reached out tome when he saw I was contemplating the front facing setup. Great guy, awesome work, prices are unreal. AC solution was his baby. He gets the credit for keeping my *** cool.

Zenmotors: They did all the heavy lifting. Torrey, Dan and Jeremy. Can't say enough. Y'all put up with me even when I was getting impatient. I appreciate you guys more then words can say. No one else in GA will touch my car. Great crew, gearheads. Always enthusiastic about what they do and take care of you like it was their car.

Various forum members who I traded, bartered, bought and sold parts to and got from.

Nate @ MAPerformance: I harrassed this man for weeks. Ordered most of my parts from him. They came very close to getting the car to build. Distance was my only concern. Truly a class act.

Danny @ Assaultech: What I couldn't get from Map......I got from Assaultech.

Derek @ Rexpeed: I have more then half your catalog and you have always given me awesome pricing.

Aaron @ English Racing: for helping me get this started on first try (Sux we couldn't finish it up)

tscompusa: For the post about the crankcase ventilation and going in depth with it.

Justin @ Batlground: You filled in the gaps for me. Thanks for being there not only as a backup but as a friend. Appreciate you greatly.

Scott @ TTP: Y'all can say what you want but this dude knows his ISH. He will be the only person to tune my car going forward. I said it before to him in person but I appreciate this willingness to fix all the things wrong with the car and showing me step by step what he was doing.

I know I've probably forgotten some stuff.....or might've forgotten someone to thank but thats all I can remember. Thanks for reading guys. All comments are welcomed. Just keep it respectful.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Dec 6, 2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:53 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
excellent write up!!!

cb
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

TE-37SL = WIN ON YOUR EVO. Keep those!
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

any pics of the A/C setup?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking mean, good to see u back on the road
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

No pics before it went in, sorry. Its pretty basic. The Evo compressor, I think the lines were Evo and the ends on one side were modified for Civic condensor. We mounted it sideways in front of the radiator. If Jesse sees this post he might have more input since he had them modified.

My back up plan was to use AN fittings and braided line.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Plus after my wife finished me the plan was to build the car I always wanted just this once and go all out.
I really like the car and the build but this one line you wrote confuses me...

Matt
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
No pics before it went in, sorry. Its pretty basic. The Evo compressor, I think the lines were Evo and the ends on one side were modified for Civic condensor. We mounted it sideways in front of the radiator. If Jesse sees this post he might have more input since he had them modified.

My back up plan was to use AN fittings and braided line.
nice! thanks for the reply!
hope to get a FF kit one day!
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Those pics are kinda old. i have added back the Rexpeed sides. I'll take pics later. I own both sets of wheels (funny story about how that happened), The Work's are Bronze even though they appear black or gun metal.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Great post. We def need someone local to shoot your car!!! Looks great.

-Jalal
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
excellent write up!!!

cb
Thanks Chad. High praise. Much appreciated.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by REV.olution
Looking mean, good to see u back on the road
Thanks. Its been a long while. Funny thing is once i got all the bugs worked out now I drive the speed limit. Its like knowing you have a loaded gun and walking confidently. I'm scared to see what it will do on a dyno. The power now is unreal.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nucci
I really like the car and the build but this one line you wrote confuses me...

Matt
I meant finished with me. I'll edit that.

it blew after spending 4k on it so she was understandably upset.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MJ23FE
Great post. We def need someone local to shoot your car!!! Looks great.

-Jalal
All those pics were with my HTC Evo/Evo 3D.

My wife is semi professional photographer so better pics will come and S3 magazine wants to shoot the car, but my wife's car is in the shop so once its out we'll have a magazine spread/write up.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Great Job on the car H, it really looks good. That manifold looks like its serious business too. There are so many high hp evo's running around the A-T-L now that its crazy! I cant wait to see it in person and in action on the streets/dyno. Well done sir.

Quick Reply: SmurfZilla's Front facing w/AC build thread. Long time coming