Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

My Ongoing Build Thread, Thanks to Force Fed Perf., Spec Ops., MAP, Sparktech, etc...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2010, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up My Ongoing Build Thread, Thanks to Force Fed Perf., Spec Ops., MAP, Sparktech, etc...

I have been on EvoM for almost 5 yrs now, some of you know me and a lot of you don't. Back in 2002 I purchased my 97 GSX then in the end of 2005 I purchased my Evo IX MR when I worked for Mitsubishi. Took me about 3.5 yrs to do anything serious to my car. I have been meaning to put this thread together for a while but I have been ridiculously busy with moving, work, finding a new place to live, moving again, etc. For the past year & a half I was living in Raleigh, NC & became pretty good friends with Justin @ Force-Fed Performance & the rest of the Force-Fed/Epic Crew. Unfortunately earlier this year I had a death in the family & decided to move back to New Jersey to be closer to the rest of my family & help out with things back home. Right before my mom passed away, I started to purchase all of my timing belt related items & some other goodies to install at the same time. Well, I put my 2 weeks in at work & began packing & getting ready to move. All of that put me in a bit of a time crunch with getting my build done, before moving. When Justin heard about the death in my family he told me anything him or the rest of the Force-Fed crew could do to help out they would. Well, I gave him my time frame & send over some funds & he got to ordering parts right away. Once all the parts came in, I brought my car down to Epic Motorsports in Fayetteville, NC & Justin & I started tearing it apart. We pretty much had 4 days to get my build done & tuned before I had to drive back to NJ to start work. Ill start off with some most recent pics & info on my old setup. Then Dyno results and pics from the new setup. And info with what's going on with the car now.

There are some people I would like to Thank for helping me out over the past couple years. Justin & Bobby @ Force Fed Performance. Robbie & Jap @ Epic Motorsports, Jason, Matt & Josh @ Spec Ops., Kasey, Charlie aka Kreionic, Craig @ Sparktech, MAP crew for great price on parts & quick shipping, Buschur Racing Crew for all their info on the forums and parts, SmikeEvo & Bassicfun (Brian) with their brake knowledge...I'm sure there are more people I am forgetting, haha, sorry...

Most Recent pics...Thanks to Chris *** down in Florence, SC...

Obviously not a lot of exterior mods done...
20% Tint all around
Lowered on BC BR series coilovers
SE Lip
BBS rims Powder Coated Gloss Black
Tinted License Plate Cover
STM tinted Front & Rear Side Markers

Plans for Exterior...
APR Front Splitter
JDM Rear bumper
CF Hood & Trunk (Would love to do Dry Carbon but $$$)
Tint the Headlights & Tail Lights
Eventually go with some Wider and Lighter Rims

Last edited by 06MREvo; Aug 12, 2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

First is my old setup, Simple Bolt ons, Stock Engine & Turbo, 6 spd, pump gas...

Old setup & track times, etc....
Stock motor (Stock cams)
Stock Turbo
Stock Intake Manifold & TB
Stock IX BOV
PPI Ported & Coated Exhaust Manifold
PPI Ported & Coated Hotside
MAP 02 dump
QTP Electronic Cutout Downpipe
Magnaflow Muffler Cat Delete
Buschur Cat back w/ Bullet Muffler
Buschur Race FMIC & LICP
ETS UICP
Samco Silicone MAF Pipe
Perrin Air Filter
Forge Wastegate Actuator
Hallman Pro RX @ 25 psi
Walbro 255
RC 1000cc Injectors
SPARKTECH Non-CDi COP
Jaz Catch Can
MAP Crank Case Vents
ACT 6 Puck Unsprung Clutch
Fidanza Flywheel
Powerflex Front Motor Mount
Samco Radiator Hoses
ETS Mini Battery kit
AEM UEGO Wideband
AEM Boost Gauge
Tuned By Kasey
Epic Motorsports Dyno

Cutout Closed
350whp
340wtq

Cutout Open – No Tuning
365whp
350wtq

12.0014 Fastest ET
116.502 Fastest MPH

93 oct. only, Lifting on every shift, crappy 6 spd tranny, Nitto 555 tires set @ 20psi all around...

Only weight reduction was removing spare, jack, tools, spoiler...otherwise full weight IX MR...

Slip...

Video...

Last edited by 06MREvo; Aug 12, 2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

New Build Info, Pics, Tuning Results, Dyno #s...

Parts used from my stock turbo setup...

MAP 02 dump
QTP Electronic Cutout Downpipe
Magnaflow Muffler Cat Delete
Buschur Cat back w/ Bullet Muffler
Buschur Race FMIC & LICP
ETS UICP
Forge Wastegate Actuator
Hallman Pro RX @ 25 psi
Walbro 255
RC 1000cc Injectors
SPARKTECH Non-CDi COP
Jaz Catch Can
MAP Crank Case Vents
ACT 6 Puck Unsprung Clutch
Fidanza Flywheel
Powerflex Front Motor Mount
ETS Mini Battery kit
AEM UEGO Wideband
AEM Boost Gauge
AEM Oil Pressure Gauge

New Build info...

Stock Block
Stock Head with GSC S2 Cams, Supertech Dual Valve Springs & Retainers, APR Headstuds & a fresh OEM Head Gasket
MAP Rev 3 Ported & Coated Intake Manifold
Milspec 65mm TB
MAP Ported & Coated Exhaust Manifold
FP Red 80mm Ported & Coated by MAP
FP Upgraded Oil Line
FP Silicone MAF Pipe
MAP EGR Block off Plate
MAP Intake Manifold Thermal Spacer
MAP TB Thermal Spacer
Mishimoto Radiator with Straight Outlet
CBRD Straight Upper Radiator Hose
Mishimoto Air Diverison Plate
STM Radiator Brackets
Gates Serpentine Belt
Gates Timing & Balance Shaft Belts
All new OEM Timing Belt Components
Valve Cover Gasket
WP, o-ring & gasket
T-Belt Tensioner Pulley
T-Belt Idler
T-Belt Hydraulic Tensioner
Balance Shaft Tensioner Pulley
Cam Seals, etc..

There may be something I am forgetting but I think that is it. Tuning was done by Jason @ Spec. Ops. Jason literally had a little bit over an hour to tune the car, disable all my EGR stuff in the ECU, etc. He did a great job for the limited amount of time with the car. Car had a very conservative tune on 93 oct. only @ 25 psi. Car was tuned the night Justin & I finished it and the next day I had to drive up to NJ from NC to start my new job.

Since Moving to NJ I was able to go to the local track once (Island Dragway) and run the car for the first time after the build. Car felt strong but the 6 spd was definitely slowing me down. My 2 step was set to 6300. Tire Pressure left at 35-36psi on my Nitto 555 255/40/17 street tires. Only weight reduction was the same as my stock turbo runs, spare tire stuff remove, no spoiler. 93 oct, 25 psi. Because of the 6 spd I need to set my rev limiter pretty high to not shift to 5th, 8300. 1st-3rd gear I shift between 7900-8000 and I take 4th gear all the way up and bounce off the rev limiter right at the traps.

Slip...

Video...
A friend got it on camera but he still hasn't sent it to me yet...hopefully soon.

UPDATE AS OF JULY/AUGUST

I pulled my FP Red to replace both of the oil return line gaskets due to slight leaks. When doing this something caught my eye inside the inlet. There was an inch mark right inside the inlet where the compressor wheel was coming in contact with the compressor housing. Obviously I wasn't very happy about this, turbo & oil line was then boxed up and shipped to FP the next day. Before my turbo got there and after it got there I was in contact with Bryan in the Rebuild Department @ FP a lot. Bryan was very helpful and explained everything very well and answered all my questions. Unfortunately the turbo wasn't under warranty due to me being the 2nd owner, I purchased it with around 5k miles on it, and I put maybe 3k miles on it. Bryan said that it looked like during the ported and coating of the turbo, I had the whole turbo ported and coated, somehow the surge port section on the compressor housing got slightly warped and that is why the compressor wheel was coming in contact with the housing. Oh well, no biggie. Since there wasn't a big difference on price between me rebuilding it and rebuilding/converting it to the FP Black, I just decided to upgrade to the Black. I received the turbo back from FP pretty quickly and obviously packaged very well. What I received from FP was a Brand NEW FP Black. The only thing they used from my FP Red was the ported & coated hotside. After getting the Turbo back from FP I decided that the Black wasn't for me, since I run 93 oct. 99% of the time, and I decided to sell it. I figured someone could put the FP Black to better use them me.

I have AlWAYS been very interested in CBRD's BBK series turbos. I probably saw one of the first BBK turbos back a couple years ago on Charlie aka Kreionic's car. I was impressed with turbo especially what it did on 93 oct. I liked the BBK Full a lot but I wanted something that would give me a little more power. I was hoping the BBK-B was going to be released by the time I jumped into my build but unfortunately it wasn't so that is why I went with the FP Red. Now that it is very close to the release date of the BBK-B I plan on waiting for it. I am very impressed so far from the results Chad has had from the turbo especially on 93 oct. and setups similar to mine. So as of right now I plan on purchasing a BBK-B (ported) from Chad once they become available, coughhopefullysooncough, haha. I am also going to purchase a JMF Non-Recir. Intake. And I have a Tial Q BOV sitting in the garage waiting to go on at the same time. After the new turbo, intake & BOV are on I plan on heading to CBRD, so I can finally see their amazing shop and get a 93 oct. tune from Chad...

Since I am waiting for the BBK-B turbo I am in the middle of doing my brakes, pads, rotors, lines, fluid, paint calipers...so this is how the car sits now...

Last edited by 06MREvo; Aug 12, 2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

When I first purchased my Evo I lived in Myrtle Beach, SC. For the first couple years I owned my Evo I maybe went to the 1/4 mile once. I started AutoX and became addicted for a couple years. So I slowly starting working on upgrading suspension & chassis modifications. I started off AutoX in BSP (B Street Prepared). BSP was not a very competitive class and I got bored quickly, so I bumped myself up to SM (Street Modified). SM was a lot more fun and competitive, and helped me push myself and become a better driver. I became pretty good friends with some of the other Evo owners in my SM class, Kiley (kiley sean), Jamie (Sick9), and Lecon (8thWonder). We always had awesome times at AutoX events and pushed and helped each other improve during events. Well, onto my Suspension/Chassis & Brake Mod lists....Autox Pics & Videos....

Suspension, Chassis & Drivetrain Mods...

Progress 27mm Rear Sway Bar
Perrin Rear End Links
ACT HD 6 Puck Unsprung Clutch
Fidanza Flywheel
Stainless Steel Clutch Line
Tein Rear Strut Tower Bar
BR 6 spd Shifter Base Bushings
BR Under Hood Shifter Linkage Bushings
BC BR series Coilovers with Camber Plates up Front (8k Front Spring Rate & 10k Back Spring Rate)
RMR Front K Brace
Custom Evo Harness Bar, Powder Coated Gloss Black (Purchased from Ebay, No Adjustable parts, 3 Solid pieces, great quality)
Cusco Rear Trunk Brace
Beatrush Driveshaft Solid Bushings
Beatrush Front Member Support Braces
Fender Braces
I am using Amsoil fluids in the Transfer Case & Rear Diff but I am using BG Syncomesh in the transmission...The 6 spd tranny didn't like the Amsoil fluid very much...

For AutoX and track events only I have another set of Evo 8 Stock Rims with Kumho V710 R Compound tires...

I was running 100% stock brakes, untouched, till now, 53k miles. Since there is no turbo on my car right now I decided to finally upgrade the brakes. I did a bunch of research, and with some great advise from some fellow members, I came up with a pretty nice brake setup.

Brakes
Girodisc 2 Piece Rotors Front & Rear
EBC Blue Stuff Brake Pads Front & Rear
Techna Fit SS Brake Lines (DOT Approved)
ATE Amber Brake Fluid

Just like most others the Powder Coat on my calipers is coming off. Unfortunately I can't afford anymore downtime to send the calipers out to get powder coated. So my girlfriend and I was going to repaint the calipers ourselves. She is very skilled with a spray paint can and is a perfectionist also. I plan on redoing the calipers black with white letting. I will post up pics of the painting process.

Some AutoX pics & videos....

Also for Future plans!!

Last edited by 06MREvo; Aug 14, 2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06MREvo

Plans for Exterior...
APR Front Splitter
JDM Rear bumper
CF Hood & Trunk (Would love to do Dry Carbon but $$$)
Tint the Headlights & Tail Lights
Eventually go with some Wider and Lighter Rims
please don't do the things in bold. the car looks great the way it is. the apr splitter would ruin the SE lip. The tinted heads and tails things is crappy too. the carbon hood and trunk could look good. i used to have that, with my roof painted black, but i went back to stock with the hood and trunk. good luck with the car....oh, and put the wing back on lol
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
please don't do the things in bold. the car looks great the way it is. the apr splitter would ruin the SE lip. The tinted heads and tails things is crappy too. the carbon hood and trunk could look good. i used to have that, with my roof painted black, but i went back to stock with the hood and trunk. good luck with the car....oh, and put the wing back on lol
haha thanks for your opinion and compliments...I meant black out the inside housing on the head lights not fully tint them out, not sure why I typed it like that...I do still want tinted tail lights & I don't know why I like the APR splitter so much...
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice build and thanks for the information. Sick clean Evo.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was a long write up BJ and all I have to say is holy crap pictures exsist of Justin working! haha. I'd also say that tune is pretty conserative with those AFR's. Put some E-85 in that thing!
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Very nice thread BJ. best of luck and hope to see ya soon.

Originally Posted by tweaker41
That was a long write up BJ and all I have to say is holy crap pictures exsist of Justin working! haha. I'd also say that tune is pretty conserative with those AFR's. Put some E-85 in that thing!
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FLOW1
Nice build and thanks for the information. Sick clean Evo.
Thanks man...appreciate it...
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

haha I'm not even done with the write, still need to add pics and info on my suspension stuff...I'm pretty sure I'm the only person that has pics of Justin working, well actually Ali might have one also...haha...I would love to put e85 in the car but there are no e85 stations within 45 mins+ of me...sucks...

Originally Posted by detroit pistins
Very nice thread BJ. best of luck and hope to see ya soon.

Thanks man...Yeah I told Justin I was going to do this thread like 4 months ago...haha oh well...better late then never...
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

haha, i think i have a picture of him putting the head studs in Ali's car. I also have pictures of Robbie working which I have only seen like once, lol.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

haha, i think i have a picture of him putting the head studs in Ali's car. I also have pictures of Robbie working which I have only seen like once, lol.
Yup...haha true...I've seen him working on his own car before...
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah but I'm pretty sure the pics I have he's working on an Evo. That's why I took them!
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome dude - that looks like so much fun!!!

Quick Reply: My Ongoing Build Thread, Thanks to Force Fed Perf., Spec Ops., MAP, Sparktech, etc...