Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

My Ongoing Build Thread, Thanks to Force Fed Perf., Spec Ops., MAP, Sparktech, etc...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2010, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Definitely...I'm sure I will loose a little down low with spool because of the 1.5" runners but top end should be real nice...BBK Full spools quick enough though so I'm sure it won't bother me.
Makes sense. Are you going to do a before and after on the same day, or just install and dyno to show latest numbers compared to previous dyno from awhile back?

Do you plan on shifting to 5th in the 1/4 or staying in 4th to hit 120? I see you have springs and whatnot so you CAN rev to 8500 or so if you want...1st-3rd gear I am shifting around 7900-8...I bumped my rev limiter to 8300 so I can rev out 4th gear and not have to shift to 5th...You can probably set your rev limiter to around 8250 and hit 120mph...I'm sure that may change a little depending on tire size too...I am running 255/40/17 tires....
I've been expecting to just run out 4th, but we'll see. I'm currently running OEM size 235/45's, but I'm due for new tires soon, and have been considering 245/45 Star Specs to help with gearing a bit. What rpm do you shift from 3rd to 4th by the way? I think I saw that some people recommend shifting early on that one.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GG06MR
Makes sense. Are you going to do a before and after on the same day, or just install and dyno to show latest numbers compared to previous dyno from awhile back?

I've been expecting to just run out 4th, but we'll see. I'm currently running OEM size 235/45's, but I'm due for new tires soon, and have been considering 245/45 Star Specs to help with gearing a bit. What rpm do you shift from 3rd to 4th by the way? I think I saw that some people recommend shifting early on that one.

Before and after on the same day...3 pulls with the MAP ported stocker then let it cool down and throw the Toxicfab on and do 3 pulls then retune....For example when I was on Chad's dyno @ CBRD it was like 25 degree cooler then it was today...hard to do a fair test that way...

If you go with 245 tires I suggest a 40 sidewall...This tire calculator is helpful...

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I am shifting from 3rd to 4th at around 8000...but its hard to recommend an RPM to shift at...If you tuner runs your car on the dyno in 3rd gear see what rpm you still make power/hold boost till and shift there or soon after that...
Old Oct 27, 2010, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Before and after on the same day...3 pulls with the MAP ported stocker then let it cool down and throw the Toxicfab on and do 3 pulls then retune....For example when I was on Chad's dyno @ CBRD it was like 25 degree cooler then it was today...hard to do a fair test that way.
Great I was hoping that's how you'd do the test.

I am shifting from 3rd to 4th at around 8000...but its hard to recommend an RPM to shift at...If you tuner runs your car on the dyno in 3rd gear see what rpm you still make power/hold boost till and shift there or soon after that...
Epic stock clutch fail for me tonight. I could slip it way back when it was only 250ish whp at 3500-4000 rpm and it wouldn't get too upset about it, but tonight it was all kinds of pissed off. Pretty much clutch spin through 1st and 2nd, and then it would take off in 3rd, 4th, and then a little bit of 5th until I crossed the line.....bouncing off of the 7800 rpm rev limiter in each gear all the way down the track. My bad for not making sure my tuner raised it, but I still thought it would have pulled better than a 111 mph trap speed. It trapped 108 on stock IX turbo, TBE, and LICP at 21 psi with stock boost control, and now with all the crap I have done holding 26 psi it's only 3 mph higher?! Can a dead clutch really kill my acceleration that bad?!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Epic stock clutch fail for me tonight. I could slip it way back when it was only 250ish whp at 3500-4000 rpm and it wouldn't get too upset about it, but tonight it was all kinds of pissed off. Pretty much clutch spin through 1st and 2nd, and then it would take off in 3rd, 4th, and then a little bit of 5th until I crossed the line.....bouncing off of the 7800 rpm rev limiter in each gear all the way down the track. My bad for not making sure my tuner raised it, but I still thought it would have pulled better than a 111 mph trap speed. It trapped 108 on stock IX turbo, TBE, and LICP at 21 psi with stock boost control, and now with all the crap I have done holding 26 psi it's only 3 mph higher?! Can a dead clutch really kill my acceleration that bad?!
A dead clutch can definitely kill your acceleration!...you were probably not even transferring 75% of your power from the engine to the wheels...Throw a clutch in there asap & I bet you will trap 118mph easy...Having to shift to 5th in our stupid 6 spds will slow us down too...Have your tuner bump your rev limiter to 8250...I would only suggest reving 4th gear out that high, shift 1st-3rd gears at around 7900 or where ever you start dropping power/boost...
Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

A dead clutch can definitely kill your acceleration!...you were probably not even transferring 75% of your power from the engine to the wheels...Throw a clutch in there asap & I bet you will trap 118mph easy...Having to shift to 5th in our stupid 6 spds will slow us down too...Have your tuner bump your rev limiter to 8250...I would only suggest reving 4th gear out that high, shift 1st-3rd gears at around 7900 or where ever you start dropping power/boost...
OK, that makes me feal better about it. Yay, more mods....but not the fun kind. Booo. Thanks again for the feedback. Any chance you could recommend a good clutch with long life for mostly streety use, maybe 1 road course track day per month in the summer time, and maybe 10 1/4 mile passes per year....at the most. Seems like stock, ACT HDSS, or Exedy Stage 1 are the most popular for daily drivers, but I see a lot of support out there for the twin discs.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

OK, that makes me feal better about it. Yay, more mods....but not the fun kind. Booo. Thanks again for the feedback. Any chance you could recommend a good clutch with long life for mostly streety use, maybe 1 road course track day per month in the summer time, and maybe 10 1/4 mile passes per year....at the most. Seems like stock, ACT HDSS, or Exedy Stage 1 are the most popular for daily drivers, but I see a lot of support out there for the twin discs.
haha Welllll....Exedy Twin with an STM clutch stop seems to be a very common setup...I personally have had an ACT Unsprung 6 puck clutch with a Fidanza flywheel in my car for 30k miles...I don't recommend the 6 puck clutches to many people as they don't like it but I can drive it almost exactly like stock...took me a bit to get used to it and I hated it at first...makes some noise every once and a while...oh well...The clutch has put up with anything I have thrown at it...60 or so 1/4 mile passes, Autox events, lots of spirited driving and hard launching on the street...Honestly my 6 spd will probably go out before the clutch does...haha...If you decide to go with a 6 puck clutch I highly recommend a SPRUNG 6 puck...
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
haha that piston/rod was from Jamie's old motor that was at Epic...I thought it would be a nice paper weight/desk decoration...

Holy crap...How you doing Jamie? Hows the car running? Good luck at the autox event!
LOL, how did you get that and i didnt even get one..
Oh wait, that's right, the other 3 were scattered all over the highway.

I didnt even think about it, since it was so destroyed when I saw it.
I never thought to tear it apart and grab that.

Good and you?
working alot.
Times is tough, so trying to catch up on some bills.
All that $ I spent on my rebuild is catching up to me..
ltr man.. J
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:53 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wish I could of caught you in time...
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Best update to this thread so far...I am walking my car out of work for lunch and what do I see...A 2.5 ft long knife scratch starting mid way down my drivers side fender and ending half way down my door...fu*king bull sh*t...I really can't believe someone I work with would do something like that...its through the clear, paint and into the metal...whole fender and door will need to be painted...awesome...
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:31 AM
Account Disabled

That sucks man... one of our local customers has the same issue... except all doors and surfaces. Some people are just straight asses
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best update to this thread so far...I am walking my car out of work for lunch and what do I see...A 2.5 ft long knife scratch starting mid way down my drivers side fender and ending half way down my door...fu*king bull sh*t...I really can't believe someone I work with would do something like that...its through the clear, paint and into the metal...whole fender and door will need to be painted...awesome...
That f**kin sucks!! Sorry to hear that, there will always be HATERS in this world
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
any cameras at work?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

No cameras at work...I wish...There was this one dude being pretty shady today...He usually parks where I park but he parked like 10 cars down from me today and he came in late...He wasn't talking to me at all today...I didn't do anything to him...don't know what he deal was...I filed a police report so If I found out who did it they are definitely paying for this sh*t...its an easy $700 or so to repaint the fender and door...
Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

man that sucks! hopefully you find out who did it.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Damn bro that f'ing blows...he'll has his turn , just watch and maybe you would consider painting the whole car or not yet?

Quick Reply: My Ongoing Build Thread, Thanks to Force Fed Perf., Spec Ops., MAP, Sparktech, etc...