Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Evo 8 Car PC Kit/2-DIN and Cubby Modification.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2005, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jedi_Gill
Thanks Kmxxbadboy, I don't want to mislead anyone and I'm going to provide a picture of how much depth is actually available back there.. I know my screen is about 2 inches deep with plenty of space left but I'll measure and take pictures just to be safe. Spooling's kit is very Nice as well. Actually his only drawback is the cost/Loss of Max AC function and a bit more work for installation but other than that It's very very nice. My biggest drawback is that angle. I don't know what others are planning to do with this but to install a full 2-Din radio in there wont' be possible because of the above mentioned rear clearance. Personally I know I can make this little project cheaper and it might be worth it to someone who is planning on a similar project to mine. Having 2 choices instead of 1 is always a good thing .
how bad can it be without the Max AC? Just wondering... is it that much different than having one step less cool-air?
Old Sep 1, 2005, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by marmutz
how bad can it be without the Max AC? Just wondering... is it that much different than having one step less cool-air?

I don't know.. why don't you try it out for yourself and find out.. I definately notice a difference but to some it's no biggie. In my case the route I took allowed me to keep the feature so i'm not complaining.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by juyanith
I'm also definitely interested as I've wanted this for a long time. I'm assuming that what you are planning to sell is the 2-DIN housing for the screen and the cuby for the HVAC? At least that's what I'd be interested in, because I'd want to build the pc myself. For me at least that part is easy, it's the fiberglass and painting that I don't have the skill or tools to make.

You are correct the 2-DIN and the Cubby are the only 2 plastic pieces I am selling.. Basically I've done all the manual labor for you.. all i need to do is mold the pieces and sell them.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

i like that idea. but how much do you think your package will be anyhow. and do you have any more pics of the status of the project. maybe i can be a hand of being a ginny pigge
Old Sep 1, 2005, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mike1023
i like that idea. but how much do you think your package will be anyhow. and do you have any more pics of the status of the project. maybe i can be a hand of being a ginny pigge

Actually those pics were taken last night, and this weekend I should be finished with the final product. In reference to the Gineau Pig, Actually I've been the Gineau Pig. But I may need to take pictures of a stock Evo 8 to finalize the instructions.. I need to clarify that a little bit of cutting was involved to get that cubby to fit. Especially since the HVAC controls angle upward. Minor cutting about 2 min worth of it.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jedi_Gill
Actually those pics were taken last night, and this weekend I should be finished with the final product. In reference to the Gineau Pig, Actually I've been the Gineau Pig. But I may need to take pictures of a stock Evo 8 to finalize the instructions.. I need to clarify that a little bit of cutting was involved to get that cubby to fit. Especially since the HVAC controls angle upward. Minor cutting about 2 min worth of it.
well if need help just give me a call or pm. and wondering tho the angle of the HVAC is there a resone why it is so angled down. do you not think it should be at a 90 deagree and not like -75 just a wonder. and how do you compare this with the other guy i forgot his name who is making the diff package with like the 3g eclips hvac and what not?
Old Sep 1, 2005, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure at all on the round-about price I'm meeting with someone this weekend on the actual cost to make the molds and the cost to paint it. I'll probably offer a painted version and a non-painted version to play with the cost.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

well if need help just give me a call or pm. and wondering tho the angle of the HVAC is there a resone why it is so angled down. do you not think it should be at a 90 deagree and not like -75 just a wonder. and how do you compare this with the other guy i forgot his name who is making the diff package with like the 3g eclips hvac and what not?

Read this entire post I've actually answered all your questions above. Sorry don't meant to be rude.. but I don't want to flood this post with repeated responses to the same questions.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 09:34 AM
wiz

Hey Jedi.
Im turbo interested in this kit. I was actually in the process of researching a carpc to replace my HU, the same as your doing.
Can u indulge(maybe in a different thread or pm?) us/me with the details of ur carpc install? Im curious as to what amp you chose? FM tuner card? etc..
thanks!!
Old Sep 1, 2005, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

i think you just dont understand what im trying to say. the angle of the HVAC are bad. they are angled down. im not siting on the floor im sitting on the seat. i would rather have them angled at 90 no a - number. and thats what you have as of right now.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

i think you just dont understand what im trying to say. the angle of the HVAC are bad. they are angled down. im not siting on the floor im sitting on the seat. i would rather have them angled at 90 no a - number. and thats what you have as of right now.
I already asked the question and he answered why it was like that. Read the thread, please.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

i did. i dont see it why cant you just repost gosh. nevemind i will look again and if no find i will post 100000000 times hahaha im going to take over the world
Old Sep 1, 2005, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
OK I've got a question and I'm new to the whole car PC thing so bear with me.

Is there any way to use the PC and screen to display and control engine management? I'm thinking if you have an Exede, Utec, Aem, or anything similar this would be an awesome setup tp avoid having a laptop in your car. Kind of like the HKS CAMP system but able to change mapping.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

i see whats the cable look like. maybe some way to make longer and then can be 90 dagress
Old Sep 1, 2005, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
OK I've got a question and I'm new to the whole car PC thing so bear with me.

Is there any way to use the PC and screen to display and control engine management? I'm thinking if you have an Exede, Utec, Aem, or anything similar this would be an awesome setup tp avoid having a laptop in your car. Kind of like the HKS CAMP system but able to change mapping.
yes you can. just like if you had a laptop you can do this with a mini pc or a 7in screen mounted just one thing. trying to tune on a little 7in screen and what not is not fun. i would still like having the laptop for that and have the mini pc or car pc for just display gauges and play dvd, videos, mp3 and so one

Quick Reply: Evo 8 Car PC Kit/2-DIN and Cubby Modification.