Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Evo 8 Car PC Kit/2-DIN and Cubby Modification.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am interested!
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Looks nice.

What's with the HVAC tilting downwards so much?
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

a while back i tried to do the same thing but when i looked at the AC controls they had 2 metal wires that are hard to remove and i knew if u cut them then u screwed... how did u move it down?
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vikktorlv
Looks good Bro. Very clean. Keep up the good work. What audio player are you using?

Shawn

I'm using a Interface Called Centrafuse so whatever that comes with is my audio player and for sound I have a Creative 5.1 USB sound card going into an amp and then speakers.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by justchil
Can't wait to see the finished product. Just curious.. what type of input do the screens like that use? vga? dvi? or do they require a "special" type of video card. I've always wondered about this
This is a standard VGA connection. but for the Touchscreen capabilities in the back there is an additional cord that simply plugs into the pc's USB.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WhiteEvo05
Not really interested in the PC aspect of it, but I would definitely be in for the HVAC relocation. I do like the head unit where it is currently. I really want to put gauges where the HVAC controls are currently, though.

How much difficulty in moving the Hvac controls down there with your kit?

I will definitely be keeping track of your progress and availablity. Eager to see how your HVAC reloaction looks when it's all dressed out.

Not hard at all.. Actually think of it as this symbol < The original OEM spec uses the top line and if you notice that symbol in the back the bottom line and the top line connects.. This is why it will work perfectly. There is a slight curvature for the controls and it's angle but if you look at the pictures it's very minor.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

I'm in... PM me when you get a production version
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
That's really cool. Is your screen by chance touch-screen?

Yes, it is touch screen it's the only way a Car PC would work.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO8 WHOA
dude this is the only thing i dont have, what are u using as far as a board n stuff? can u put a switch in the piece so that u can run that to the motherboard for on/off? i could prolly make somthing out of my glove box all i need is this piece u have.. let me know how much u want for the lower piece and the 2 din piece. and as far as a screen do u knnow of any that fit? somthing with vga maybe?

Check out mp3car.com and you'll find all your answers there.. AS far as the on and off switch the Opus power supply has all these features built in.. It will turn on the PC 15 seconds after the car is turned on.. and will do the same when the car is off.. So it will be always a good shutdown.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mike1023
any step by step like what you had and what you did. or befor and after would like to see also. and humm HVAC controls wonder if you could make a little more Flat not so much going under the dash just a though of my. dont have to take up to it.

It's kinda hard to understand what you're saying, but if you're referring to the flat black on the bottom cubby.. if you read my post more carefully you'd realize that this is just a prototype and it's easier to make it glossy when making molds out of it.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by imajinmyfx
a while back i tried to do the same thing but when i looked at the AC controls they had 2 metal wires that are hard to remove and i knew if u cut them then u screwed... how did u move it down?

I didn't move them down.. Look at the top post and you'll see a post that I describe the process kinda like this symbol < Where the 2 lines describe the OEM location and the bottom line is the new location.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zstryder
Looks nice.

What's with the HVAC tilting downwards so much?

If you ever get a chance to look at what makes the knobs move the vents you'll realize that they are limited in motion by 2 Wires that are similar to Bike Brakes. I described above that my design works like the symbol < The top line is the OEM position and the bottom is my kits position. Because we are limited by the wires length this is the only way to get the job done since not a single centimeter more is allowed. In all honesty it's not that bad.. and it's still very usable. How often do you really mess with the controls. 1 second in 1 hour of driving.. maybe to set the temp the first time. and every so often to adjust or turn off.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jedi_Gill
One more thing I don't mean any disrespect To Spooling Evo, His kit is just as nice, he just took another direction. I personally would have atleast liked to order his 2-DIN from him instead of creating my own but now that I think of it, I like the texture on this double din as it's more OEM than the scaly one that he has.
I am someone who did the entire HVAC movement/2DIN stereo replacement. I helped consult with Spooling on his kit and we had many back and forth discussions on what exactly would work and not work. A lot of man-hours were put together with Spooling on his project and I'm proud to say that his kit is a factory fitting kit.

I am very intimately familiar with the location that the two of you have decided to place your screens/movements/etc...

I will give this bit of advice to those out there... If you are looking to use just a flat screen monitor that has little to no depth past 3 inches, then this kit you see here is a decent way to get this done. The way you angled the HVAC, I do not see anyone being able to mount a full 2 DIN radio/screen in there without the bottom of the stereo coming into contact with the rear of the HVAC, especially now that it is angled downward and the cables would be coming up from the left and back down into their guides on the HVAC unit. If a Car PC is your thing, then this is a nice alternative. If you are looking to have an In-Dash 2DIN working stereo unit with a functional HVAC that fits factory, the Spooling is your man.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 05:25 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks Kmxxbadboy, I don't want to mislead anyone and I'm going to provide a picture of how much depth is actually available back there.. I know my screen is about 2 inches deep with plenty of space left but I'll measure and take pictures just to be safe. Spooling's kit is very Nice as well. Actually his only drawback is the cost/Loss of Max AC function and a bit more work for installation but other than that It's very very nice. My biggest drawback is that angle. I don't know what others are planning to do with this but to install a full 2-Din radio in there wont' be possible because of the above mentioned rear clearance. Personally I know I can make this little project cheaper and it might be worth it to someone who is planning on a similar project to mine. Having 2 choices instead of 1 is always a good thing .
Old Sep 1, 2005, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

I'm also definitely interested as I've wanted this for a long time. I'm assuming that what you are planning to sell is the 2-DIN housing for the screen and the cuby for the HVAC? At least that's what I'd be interested in, because I'd want to build the pc myself. For me at least that part is easy, it's the fiberglass and painting that I don't have the skill or tools to make.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 Car PC Kit/2-DIN and Cubby Modification.