Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Finally OEM fog lights, with OEM switch that WORKS!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2010, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is some info for now, just to get the ball rolling.

I know there is another proclaimed how to for making the OEM fog lights work, but well it doesn't work. You have to make this MONSTER multi relay set up and it looks like total fail. I have figured out how to use the single stock fog lamp relay, stock switch, even the stock fuse if you want to go all out. There are several ways to do do this, depends what parts you can obtain from a donor car, and how much time you want to spend making it look 100% stock

I'm still in process of finishing up the install so this will be "how to" in progress until then. I have already tested everything and it works like a charm. Turn on the high beams and the fogs shut off just like stock even!

Best of all it's fairly easy, the hardest thing will finding some of the donor parts. Here is list of the parts you will need if you want to do it like stock.

H11 male harness plugs with pig tails, can be from an EVO or any car with H11 bulbs. Mine came from an EVO.

OEM fog light relay, this is a 4 pin relay.

OEM fog light switch.

If you want to do it perfectly you will want to acquire a complete fuse box from an HID EVO, you don't need the box but rather some of the female connectors inside the box that the relay plugs into, the fuse plugs into, and terminal 1 on the front ecu plugs into. Your other option is to find the appropriate size female spade plugs and snap them into the underside of the fuse box.

The only other thing you will need is some 3/8th wire loom about 6 feet of it, about 6 feet of red/black 2 conductor wire to provide the power to the H11 pig tails. In my case I will also solder the wires, and heat shrink.

First things first. Even though your EVO didn't come with fog lights the interior wiring and harness is under the dash. Simply find the harness taped up under the dash, it's down near the coin box/ dimmer switch. There is also a harness for the hid levels, but I chose not to install those. They were so pointless when I had them on my old VIII. Plug in the switch and figure out which of the dummy switch fillers you want to remove and install the switch in place. Your switch should light up now when the lights are turned on, but that's about it.

Next step is to pop the top off of the under hood fuse box (the big one)
You will see a long rectangle box, with release tabs on the side. This is called the front ecu. It works in conjunction with another SWS ecu inside the cabin (not the engine ecu) Anyways. When you remove the front ecu, you will see a bunch of male and female electrical connectors. The non HID cars are missing 1 of the connectors. This connector sends a signal from the front ecu to the fog light relay to turn on the relay and to turn off the relay when the high beams come on.

The next step is a tad tricky at first. You will basically need to get the fuse box away from it's mounting location and gain access to the inside of it. Remove the two 10 mm bolts that secure the fuse box to the body of the car. Now you have to seperate the smaller relay box that is attached to the fuse box. This is done by releasing two taps and pull up on the relay box. The tabs are easily pushed over with a screw driver from the top. I will post a pic of the tabs when I get a chance. Now you will have to wiggle the relay box up, it's touch because it has some short wires coming out from the bottom of it, just take your time, and be easy. Once you get it free the fuse box can be moved from its mounting location. This will allow you to work around it and split it open. It too has release tabs that most be pushed over and pulled to separate the fuse box halves. There is one tricky tab which I will try and get a picture of also.

Once you have the box in half you will have access to the inside of the fuse box. This is where having a donor box will come in handy, you will need to remove some terminals from the donor box. You will want to locate the 4 terminals with wires from the fog light relay, they have some push release tabs on the top side of the fuse box. Push tab and pull out from the bottom. The fog light relay has 4 wires, two of them are 12v + getting power from the battery through the fog light fuse. Or any fused wire if you don't have the oem fuse box parts mentioned above just run 4 wires up through the bottom of the box and put female spade ends on the wires that will slide over the relay pins. The OEM relay looks identical to all of the other relays in the fuse box, just install it to match the others. I will post up a diagram of what wires to go which pin on the relay.

I will be adding more to this tomorrow
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for this info...
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
AWESOME ......moar please!!!!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Threads like these are the main reason I'm happy I didn't get an RS.

Usually I still want an RS, though.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

I'll try and get some more info up this weekend along with some pics.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Did you get some more info ready on this?
Old Apr 14, 2010, 02:14 AM

How much more is left to do after completing the above mentioned write up? When are you planning to update the completion? Thanks for your time and effort.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

**** I've been slacking.. that and kinda busy, getting ready for the race season. I have not forgotten about you all.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

alittle of topic but is there anyway to get the evo's that come with the fog's to have them work independent of the lowbeams with the factory switch? basicly be able to turn the fogs on without the lowbeams or atleast the parking lights?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:32 PM

nice info. id like to see this completed as well.. then maybe a how to write up
Old May 6, 2010, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
+1 on everything. How do you do it if, with the IX GSR, the fog light part of the headlight is just a dud? Source a JDM MR headlight?
Old May 29, 2010, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
+1 on everything. How do you do it if, with the IX GSR, the fog light part of the headlight is just a dud? Source a JDM MR headlight?
Yes. You will need a new headlight that has a fog light in there.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

I have an IX, and am gettin rid of the ACD. I noticed the EVO8's had a fog light switch where the ACD switch is on the IX's. Is the wiring harness already existing for the 9's for just to plug and play the fog lights? Or is additional wiring needed? And were there any IX headlights that came with fogs? Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by I4UnderPressure
I have an IX, and am gettin rid of the ACD. I noticed the EVO8's had a fog light switch where the ACD switch is on the IX's. Is the wiring harness already existing for the 9's for just to plug and play the fog lights? Or is additional wiring needed? And were there any IX headlights that came with fogs? Thanks in advance!
The in cabin wiring is there, the under hood/fuse box wiring is not there and must be added in, along with the relay and fuses. Read the post over it talks about all of this.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:54 PM

a step by step write up with pictures would be HIGHLY appreciated!

Quick Reply: Finally OEM fog lights, with OEM switch that WORKS!