Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to create a stealthy interior, black.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to create a stealthy interior, black.

Well I grew very bored with my interior, the fact that some of the trim peices didn't match. The majority of the interior is black, but yet some sections of the interior were a grey color. So I decided to paint them black and match them with the rest of the interior, enjoy.

Tools you'll need:
  • Exacto knife
  • Painters tape
  • Screw driver(Philips and flat)
  • Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric paint
  • Ventaliated area to paint/dry
  • Patience

1. First your going to have to remove the interior peices you wish to paint, I decided I wanted to paint my A-pillars, the peice around the foglight, the peice around the radio, and lastly the long peice that holds the clock. If you know how to already remove these peices then just skip this, if not then continue reading.

Remove A-pillars:

To do this you can use a flat head screw driver, simply place the screw driver at the top of the pillar and pull it back enough to get a finger behind it. Then slowly pull on the pillar while sliding down towards the windsheild, there are 2-3 clips holding it in. Don't be afriad to pull a bit, but remember this isn't the world strongest man contest.

Remove the peice around the foglight:

To remove this peice you are going to have to remove the plastic outline around the cluster. You will see two screws at the top, they required a philips to remove. Once you remove those that peice you will have access to removing the peice around the foglight. Simply pull the side, again don't be afriad to pull but don't go crazy with it. Once you've pulled the peice from the clips, unplus the harness connecting to the sidemirrors controller and the foglight switch. To remove the button/switch from the interior peice, you will need a small flat head. On top of the switch/button you will see a slight tab that is holding the peice in, slide the flathead in there to lift it enough to pull the button/switch out.

Remove peice around the radio:

The easiest one to remove, simply pull on the three AC knobs, they'll come right off. Behind the outside two knobs you'll see a screw, use a philips screwdriver and remove them. Now your going to have to use the holes from where the knobs were to pull the peice out. If this is the first time removing this peice you might have to tug a good bit, again don't go crazy.

Remove peice around clock:

Last but not least, after you've taken off the peice covering the radio you'll see two screws holding this peice on. Remove them with a philips screw driver. Now your going to have to pull from the left side and move to the right, go slow. There are a good amount of clips on this one so don't be afriad when you here a bunch of pops. Also don't rip it right off because the clock and hazard button are connected.

By now if you've followed everything as said your car should look somthing like this

2. Now that you've got all the peices out of the car you'll need to wash them, make sure the surface of the plastic is clean/dry so the paint will stick. I used some paper towels with a bit of soap on them, I ran the paper towel over all the peices and then dried them with a towel.

3. Time for the best part, painting. So grab your paint:

And find a nice spot you'll be able to paint in, I chose my driveway and I laid down some paper with a box, like so:

First we'll start off with the A-pillars, I applied 3 coats and let each coat dry for about 5-10 minutes before spraying the next one. The final result should look somthing like this:

Next we'll paint the peice around the radio, this is where you're going to need the exacto knife and painters tape. Since this peice has the climate controls on it, you'll need to mask them off so you don't paint of them. Take the painters tape and apply a peice over the circle, use your nail and press down to outline the circle of the climate control. Use the exacto knife to cutout the circle and leave it there to mask. When your done it should look somthing like this:

Now that you've got that peice masked off, we'll move onto the next peice, the area around the clock. On this one you need to turn the peice over and you'll see that the AC vents/clock are all one peice and screwed on. Simply get a philips head and remove the screws:

Now it's time to paint the rest of the peices. For these peices I only did 2 coats, I didn't feel the need for the third and they came out very good IMO, here they are:

Before:

After:

That's pretty much it for the painting section, you can clear the peices if you want them to shine a bit. Although I didn't want that because none of the other peices have gloss. I let the peices all dry out for a few hours before putting them back into the car.

Now once you've put them back into the car it should look somthing like this:

I hope this writeup helps, if you've got any further questions please let me know. I'd be more than happy to help
Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

I'm assuming thats the flat black?
Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RenoEvo
I'm assuming thats the flat black?
It only says black.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 01:09 PM

Any sort of part number or color code (other than just "black") on the can or receipt?
Old Jun 18, 2006, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

very nice sleet, but now you need to get the IX steering wheel.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 02:03 PM
Account Disabled

u didnt prep the parts before painting them? that wont last long.... especially on the radio trim......looks nice tho...i just didnt my interior...

-nick
Old Jun 18, 2006, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Amazin' Wasian
u didnt prep the parts before painting them? that wont last long.... especially on the radio trim......looks nice tho...i just didnt my interior...

-nick

Exactly what I was thinking. You should've used some type of sand paper to allow the paint to adhere better. Even though it looks great, your finger nail can take that paint right off. Especially on the smoother surfaces like around the clock and radio.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

^I would have used sand paper and adhesion promoter to make it last for a long time.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

I'd say hands down this is the most blackest TB evo I have ever seen. Are you goth?
Old Jun 18, 2006, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ScrappyJack
Any sort of part number or color code (other than just "black") on the can or receipt?
It just says color matches cap and the cap is black.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Amazin' Wasian

-nick
Yeah, apparently this paint is made for this kinda stuff and doesn't need any primer or anything. I was also short on time so I just did it up. Worse comes to worse if it does peel, scratch or whatever it'll be an easy fix. It would take another maybe 30 minutes to re-do everything.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sleet,

Your car looks fanthastic in and out. I just noticed you haven't mentioned primer on your list. Also you must ensure the paint is specifically for plastics.

The paint for plastic surfaces allows the paint coating to flex once is dry. That was just my observation and suggestions but again your car looks very very nice.

Carlos
Old Jun 18, 2006, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Do the steering wheel too and it will loook much better. Looks good though, nice job.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Your Evolution looks great in that last shot
Old Jun 18, 2006, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Sleet,

Your car looks fanthastic in and out. I just noticed you haven't mentioned primer on your list. Also you must ensure the paint is specifically for plastics.

The paint for plastic surfaces allows the paint coating to flex once is dry. That was just my observation and suggestions but again your car looks very very nice.

Carlos
Yeah, this paint is specifically for the interior of cars, dashboards and all of that. We'll see how it holds up for now.

As for everyone refering to painting the steering wheel, maybe i'll give it a try. But first I have to figure how to remove it

Quick Reply: How to create a stealthy interior, black.