Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

HOW TO: Timing Belt, Balancer Shaft Belt, and Accessory Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2014, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Z_Lancer_Man
If you've done a clutch, you can do this. I'll be doing this again for the second time this coming fall (currently at 116000 miles). Hardest part of the whole thing is raising and lowering the engine to get all the pulleys off. Keep your timing marks right and you'll be golden.

--Zack
Right on sir. I noticed in the post that the oil pan was supported but it was not mentioned raising and lowering the motor itself. Do you take off all four motormounts?
Old May 18, 2014, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Just the one on that side to make room. And PS bracket. If you haven't ordered parts order from rock auto cause they have gates parts and I got water pump, belt and idlier for around 220. And new serpentine belt.
Old May 19, 2014, 08:04 AM

Found the noise makers

Originally Posted by Dirty Dave
Just the one on that side to make room. And PS bracket. If you haven't ordered parts order from rock auto cause they have gates parts and I got water pump, belt and idlier for around 220. And new serpentine belt.
Thank you! Will order from Rock auto. Last night I pulled the water pump pulley and found a bolt to the lower timing belt cover had backed out and was causing the noise. I then dropped that bolt into the lower cover and when using a magnet probe to pull it out I found ANOTHER smaller bolt to the backside metal cover.....WOW is all I have to say. I used locktite on the bolts I found, reassembled, and I am going to drive to shop when I have the parts. Unless I decide to do it all myself which is also a possibility
Old May 19, 2014, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ghostdriver22
Thank you! Will order from Rock auto. Last night I pulled the water pump pulley and found a bolt to the lower timing belt cover had backed out and was causing the noise. I then dropped that bolt into the lower cover and when using a magnet probe to pull it out I found ANOTHER smaller bolt to the backside metal cover.....WOW is all I have to say. I used locktite on the bolts I found, reassembled, and I am going to drive to shop when I have the parts. Unless I decide to do it all myself which is also a possibility
Good good. I have found that I locktite dame near everything except the lug nuts lol. I did timeing belt belt and water pump myself but took to shop for clutch lol. Don't have a lift and didn't want to spend a week doing by myself. Took me about five hours to do belt and pump but also did cleaning and inspecting of other stuff too:-)
Old May 29, 2014, 04:55 AM

Some of the images don't work anymore. Do you still have the originals and can you re-upload them?
Also, how much easier would this be with the engine out of the car? I'm in the middle of a swap and would want to do it with the engine on the ground.
Old May 30, 2014, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

1,000 times easier with the engine out
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure what happen to some of the pics in the original post, so feel free to open the attached PDF of the write-up.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old Nov 27, 2014, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
This was the easiest timing belt I have ever done. Get the timing belt tool from Mitsu, and the cam gear lockers from one of the vendors. Makes it sooo much easier!
I did this over the course of 2 days, outside in about 50* weather. Not hard, took my time, left the engine on the jack and raised/lowered as needed to provide space to work on whatever bolt I was trying to get to at the time. piece of cake!
The 3000GT was 50x more difficult than this.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by anthonypazsd
Not sure what happen to some of the pics in the original post, so feel free to open the attached PDF of the write-up.

Thank you very much for the write-up and the PDF version as well. It will come in handy in the next couple of weeks or so.
Old May 4, 2015, 09:34 PM

If you have your balance shaft deleted, do you have to worry about the phase of the oil pump pulley when you're doing the timing belt? When I did mine a few months ago, I believe I let the pulley freely fall to make sure it was in phase so just for future reference to anyone...
Old Aug 7, 2015, 04:11 PM

Thank you very much for your help!

Had to do it 2 times though. The first time, the mechanics on the shop told me that it was not needed to block the balance shaft, they told me that by aligning the marks it would always be ok.
Of course, we started the engine and reved a bit, and it vibrated hard.

So, second time went great! Thank you very much for your help Mr. anthonypazsd
Old Oct 20, 2015, 06:03 AM

Anyway we could get the pics in this post to work? (maybe it's just my computer?)
Old Oct 31, 2015, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by racingroo
Hi All,

From the manual in for my evo 6, they say to line everything up (markings) at one tooth counter clockwise from the TDC markings.. It makes everything a bit more relaxed as holding the exhaust cam at exact TDC is a bit tricky.

Nice write up though. I'm half way through a head gasket change

One question.. How do you know how much torque to put on your Timing Belt tensior pulley? I'm talking about the allen key and screw driver solution you used? Did you torque it just to the point where you could freely remove the allen key from the hydraulic tensior? Because I think you are meant to use another mitsu special tool to hold the arm which sits on the hydraulic tension while setting the torque on the pulley wheel.

I might copy your allen key/screw driver solution!

Thanks all and I hope the align everything one tooth off (EVERYTHING ONE TOOTH OFF INCLUDING THE CRANK SHAFT!) helps
Just line up the two holes on the pulley so that they are horizontal to each other and you will be about where it was from the factory. I use the power enterprise kevlar belt when I pull the Allen wrench out of my tensioner it goes down slightly. Also using a set of strong hand clamps to keep the belt from slipping off the timing gears makes it a lot easier.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jontatt
Anyway we could get the pics in this post to work? (maybe it's just my computer?)
Agreed, I used this write up before and it helped immensely. Could use it again, not to mention anyone who hasnt done this before.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 07:51 AM

I have the pdf file. Have never tried to upload one on here before. Does this work for everyone? I have a couple of extra pics I took while doing mine earlier this year of a couple of things.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Timing Belt, Balancer Shaft Belt, and Accessory Belt Replacement